Vt. woman drowns strapped to rescue boat

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
news link
"Why would you take a 64-year-old lady that's got a little bump on the head and a strained ankle and strap her into a situation where if there was an accident, she couldn't get out?" asked her friend, Tracy Snide

Edgar Emerson of Bellows Falls, Vt., said he and Yates were on their way to visit friends when she slipped getting out of his pontoon boat at a dock on the Vermont side of the river.

She had cuts and bruises on her head and arms, and might have broken her ankle, so he made sure she was seated on the shore before he boated to Hoyt's Landing in Springfield, Vt., to find a cell phone and call friends. Others persuaded him to call 911, he said.

"She didn't want to go in the ambulance, she didn't want to be rescued," Emerson told the Rutland Herald.

Shirley Latterell, who was fishing at the landing, said she persuaded Emerson to let her call 911 because she thought his friend might go into shock. She said the Cornish rescue boat went downriver to get Yates, but on the way back to Hoyt's Landing it tipped over and sank.

"I dialed 911, and everything went haywire after that," Latterell said.

Holy Smokes! Anyone know what caused the rescue boat to tip?

Good question? Why strap her down if she was up and walking. She obviously didn't have any neck or back injuries.

This just reminded me of that movie Final Destination. The fall she took didn't finish her off, so death had to come back around and make sure it finished the job.

Well, when it's your time to go, it's your time to go.

curious1 said:
Good question? Why strap her down if she was up and walking. She obviously didn't have any neck or back injuries.
They said she really didn't want to go. Maybe she was feisty and REALLY DID NOT want to go. Thus - strap her down.

news link

"I killed my own dog. I tied him to my boat to keep him from jumping out. You can't do that. You can't tie any human being or a dog to a boat," McClain said Friday.

Yates had slipped on a dock and hit her head and twisted her ankle earlier in the afternoon. Rescue crews strapped her to a backboard and rescue gurney on the boat. She went under when the boat capsized. Rescuers tried to save her, but could not.

The New Hampshire Marine Patrol and the Sullivan County attorney, who oversees criminal prosecutions, are investigating the accident.

dark_shadows said:
news link

"I killed my own dog. I tied him to my boat to keep him from jumping out. You can't do that. You can't tie any human being or a dog to a boat," McClain said Friday.

Yates had slipped on a dock and hit her head and twisted her ankle earlier in the afternoon. Rescue crews strapped her to a backboard and rescue gurney on the boat. She went under when the boat capsized. Rescuers tried to save her, but could not.

The New Hampshire Marine Patrol and the Sullivan County attorney, who oversees criminal prosecutions, are investigating the accident.
Oh Geeze...what a horrible way to die! :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back