1244 users online (259 members and 985 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Patsy's Short Leash

...six years ago, when I first started posting here, I started a thread on the JBR forum with the above title...

One of the things I noticed when PR was alive is that publicly, anyway, she was kept on a very short leash...meaning whenever she made any kind of public appearance, her husband or attorney was right with her, and would speak for her half the time...

Other than "sound bytes" of info., and the more banal sentences she uttered on Larry King, she really never spoke independently in public...

Thoughts?

i had not really noticed that, but now that you mention it, you might be on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccina
    ...six years ago, when I first started posting here, I started a thread on the JBR forum with the above title...

One of the things I noticed when PR was alive is that publicly, anyway, she was kept on a very short leash...meaning whenever she made any kind of public appearance, her husband or attorney was right with her, and would speak for her half the time...

Other than "sound bytes" of info., and the more banal sentences she uttered on Larry King, she really never spoke independently in public...

Thoughts?
    Yeah, i noticed that also. Maybe she was just not good at the Media circus.This is not a 'maybe' a she was'nt we all know this.Whether it was because she had 'something' to hide or not we are never going to know.There again, if I had a Pr teamand lawyers to do my begging I would shut up also.

As evidenced by even the relatively few transcripts of Patsy being questioned that I've seen, she's simply not convincing. The defense team would want her to keep her mouth shut most of the time, and when allowed to speak someone would have to be there to interupt if she had a slip of the tongue.

This doesn't necessarily mean that what she did say in public was all lies or that she was a liar (although personally, I believe she was and the reason her mouth was put on a short leash was exactly for that reason). But, with that said, it may just have been that the defense team recognized that she came off as being a liar.

But how can a former Miss West Virginia suddenly become all aflutter with the media?

Quote Originally Posted by lighthouselover
    But how can a former Miss West Virginia suddenly become all aflutter with the media?
    That's a good question!

Perhaps because of shame and consciousness of guilt?

Originally Posted by lighthouseluver
    Anyone can become "all aflutter" with the media when the issue is trying to be convincing that you weren't guilty of being involved in a heinous and grisly crime. I'm sure PR could be quite convincing if publically questioned about what she thinks should be done about starving people in Africa, how much she'd like to bring peace to all the world, or how marvelous she believes Sebastian hair products are, but when put on the hot seat about whether or not she had anything to do with the murder of her daughter, it's likely any public speaking skills a former Miss West Virginia may have would fly right out the window.

I think another part of it may have been that she was on tranquilizers - and you can tell. My mother has a nervous condition and takes them also, and when you see it, you can spot it. It's not quite like them being drunk but reminiscent of it.

Patsy also talked too much, and seemed to have little forethought into what she blurted out. I can recall seeing John jump in and cut her off because she was about to say something that would sound really bad.

I think shame and consciousness of guilt and the fight to shove it aside with denial also played into it.
    Where is Trenton Duckett?

I agree with you NP!

...if she were innocent, methinks her leash would have been longer...

IMO, because all of her life Patsy was someone's trophy... she was Nedra's trophy daughter, and then Ms. West Virginia's trophy winner, and then John's trophy wife, and then a victor over cancer, and then a trophy mother to JonBenet (a 2nd generation trophy). She only saw herself as a prize and a winner.. and when her life turned to squat on December 26, 1996, she didn't have a clue how to handle it. The people were no longer her adoring public, and she came across as detached, angry, elusive and ineffective. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuisanceposter

Patsy also talked too much, and seemed to have little forethought into what she blurted out. I can recall seeing John jump in and cut her off because she was about to say something that would sound really bad.
    I saw that happen on LKL a couple of times. Once Larry was asking about the police being in their house on the morning of the 26th and Patsy started talking about them dusting for prints as if it had been a huge inconvenience to her that they were getting her cabinets dirty. John cut her off pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccina

Thoughts?
    I noticed that too! John sure was in the habit of talking for her...atleast after JonBenet's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Helena U
    I saw that happen on LKL a couple of times. Once Larry was asking about the police being in their house on the morning of the 26th and Patsy started talking about them dusting for prints as if it had been a huge inconvenience to her that they were getting her cabinets dirty. John cut her off pretty quickly.
    Yep, that example gave me pause. It was an "inconvenience" that they were dusting for fingerprints. Yeah, that would have been my first concern, too

IMO Patsy's whole world turned upside down the morning of Dec 26 and of course it was never the same again. I've often thought it looked like she was sedated with something. I'm not saying that's wrong, I imagine it was quite needed for the hell she was going through. She had a lot of experience with an admiring public but how does one begin to learn how to deal with a public who suddenly is sending you the cruelist hate letters?

The other day I was thinking that it really was a blessing to Patsy that she passed away when she did, can you imagine being the mother of this little girl who was murdered and listening to even 1 day of the coverage this past week? Hearing the tape made where JMK is whispering his filth.
    You can see what it's done to Polly Klass's father just having her name put into the middle of this.

OB
    this is just my opinion, it may be wrong, user beware!

After leaving the "hellhole" December 26th...Dr. Beuf was made a house call to the Fernies and sedated Patsy with Valium. That night she took so much Valium and requested more that someone had to intervene.

I think she was still taking Valium when she went on CNN January 1, 1997. She was slurring her words and saying things that were incriminating her. John had to shut her up right quick.

Patsy had no problem speaking up when she headed to her Alma Mater...WVU. She walked right into the Journalism class...announced herself as Patsy Ramsey, JonBenets daughter and telling the students. okay you have 5 minutes, ask me anything! I believe she also told the students that speaking to her would be positive to their careers.

John said that Patsy could never keep quiet.
    ...We have said to ourselves, look, there is never going to be a victory in this, there is no victory...John Ramsey: 6/24/98

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast