Patsy's Short Leash

cappuccina

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
...six years ago, when I first started posting here, I started a thread on the JBR forum with the above title...

One of the things I noticed when PR was alive is that publicly, anyway, she was kept on a very short leash...meaning whenever she made any kind of public appearance, her husband or attorney was right with her, and would speak for her half the time...

Other than "sound bytes" of info., and the more banal sentences she uttered on Larry King, she really never spoke independently in public...

Thoughts?

i had not really noticed that, but now that you mention it, you might be on to something.

cappuccina said:
...six years ago, when I first started posting here, I started a thread on the JBR forum with the above title...

One of the things I noticed when PR was alive is that publicly, anyway, she was kept on a very short leash...meaning whenever she made any kind of public appearance, her husband or attorney was right with her, and would speak for her half the time...

Other than "sound bytes" of info., and the more banal sentences she uttered on Larry King, she really never spoke independently in public...

Thoughts?
Yeah, i noticed that also. Maybe she was just not good at the Media circus.This is not a 'maybe' a she was'nt we all know this.Whether it was because she had 'something' to hide or not we are never going to know.There again, if I had a Pr teamand lawyers to do my begging I would shut up also.

As evidenced by even the relatively few transcripts of Patsy being questioned that I've seen, she's simply not convincing. The defense team would want her to keep her mouth shut most of the time, and when allowed to speak someone would have to be there to interupt if she had a slip of the tongue.

This doesn't necessarily mean that what she did say in public was all lies or that she was a liar (although personally, I believe she was and the reason her mouth was put on a short leash was exactly for that reason). But, with that said, it may just have been that the defense team recognized that she came off as being a liar.

lighthouselover said:
But how can a former Miss West Virginia suddenly become all aflutter with the media?

That's a good question!

Perhaps because of shame and consciousness of guilt?

Originally Posted by lighthouseluver
But how can a former Miss West Virginia suddenly become all aflutter with the media?
Anyone can become "all aflutter" with the media when the issue is trying to be convincing that you weren't guilty of being involved in a heinous and grisly crime. I'm sure PR could be quite convincing if publically questioned about what she thinks should be done about starving people in Africa, how much she'd like to bring peace to all the world, or how marvelous she believes Sebastian hair products are, but when put on the hot seat about whether or not she had anything to do with the murder of her daughter, it's likely any public speaking skills a former Miss West Virginia may have would fly right out the window.

I think another part of it may have been that she was on tranquilizers - and you can tell. My mother has a nervous condition and takes them also, and when you see it, you can spot it. It's not quite like them being drunk but reminiscent of it.

Patsy also talked too much, and seemed to have little forethought into what she blurted out. I can recall seeing John jump in and cut her off because she was about to say something that would sound really bad.

I think shame and consciousness of guilt and the fight to shove it aside with denial also played into it.

IMO, because all of her life Patsy was someone's trophy... she was Nedra's trophy daughter, and then Ms. West Virginia's trophy winner, and then John's trophy wife, and then a victor over cancer, and then a trophy mother to JonBenet (a 2nd generation trophy). She only saw herself as a prize and a winner.. and when her life turned to squat on December 26, 1996, she didn't have a clue how to handle it. The people were no longer her adoring public, and she came across as detached, angry, elusive and ineffective. JMHO.

Nuisanceposter said:
Patsy also talked too much, and seemed to have little forethought into what she blurted out. I can recall seeing John jump in and cut her off because she was about to say something that would sound really bad.
I saw that happen on LKL a couple of times. Once Larry was asking about the police being in their house on the morning of the 26th and Patsy started talking about them dusting for prints as if it had been a huge inconvenience to her that they were getting her cabinets dirty. John cut her off pretty quickly.

cappuccina said:

Thoughts?
I noticed that too! John sure was in the habit of talking for her...atleast after JonBenet's death.

Helena U said:
I saw that happen on LKL a couple of times. Once Larry was asking about the police being in their house on the morning of the 26th and Patsy started talking about them dusting for prints as if it had been a huge inconvenience to her that they were getting her cabinets dirty. John cut her off pretty quickly.

Yep, that example gave me pause. It was an "inconvenience" that they were dusting for fingerprints. Yeah, that would have been my first concern, too :slap:

IMO Patsy's whole world turned upside down the morning of Dec 26 and of course it was never the same again. I've often thought it looked like she was sedated with something. I'm not saying that's wrong, I imagine it was quite needed for the hell she was going through. She had a lot of experience with an admiring public but how does one begin to learn how to deal with a public who suddenly is sending you the cruelist hate letters?

The other day I was thinking that it really was a blessing to Patsy that she passed away when she did, can you imagine being the mother of this little girl who was murdered and listening to even 1 day of the coverage this past week? Hearing the tape made where JMK is whispering his filth.
You can see what it's done to Polly Klass's father just having her name put into the middle of this.

OB

After leaving the "hellhole" December 26th...Dr. Beuf was made a house call to the Fernies and sedated Patsy with Valium. That night she took so much Valium and requested more that someone had to intervene.

I think she was still taking Valium when she went on CNN January 1, 1997. She was slurring her words and saying things that were incriminating her. John had to shut her up right quick.

Patsy had no problem speaking up when she headed to her Alma Mater...WVU. She walked right into the Journalism class...announced herself as Patsy Ramsey, JonBenets daughter and telling the students. okay you have 5 minutes, ask me anything! I believe she also told the students that speaking to her would be positive to their careers.

John said that Patsy could never keep quiet.

Alot of people believe that is why Patsy was kept at home at the end of her life rather then a Hospital.

"One of the things I noticed when PR was alive is that publicly, anyway, she was kept on a very short leash...meaning whenever she made any kind of public appearance, her husband or attorney was right with her, and would speak for her half the time...

Other than "sound bytes" of info., and the more banal sentences she uttered on Larry King, she really never spoke independently in public..."

Yeah, I noticed. I remember John nearly wet himself when she did that "two people know about this" bit.

SuperDave said:
Yeah, I noticed. I remember John nearly wet himself when she did that "two people know about this" bit.
Yes, that as a very odd thing to say, and I still remember the expression on John's face when she said it.

I’ve been reading on Websleuths for quite some time, but I rarely post. All of your intelligent and informative discussions have lured me out of hiding. So, hi, everybody.

Whether she was a murderer (or “cover-upper”) or not, Patsy Ramsey strikes me as someone who always was out of touch with reality in a peculiar way. Does anybody remember the picture of JonBenet on her first day of kindergarten? Although it’s been years since I saw this photo, I recall that JB was wearing a totally over-the-top (especially for Boulder!) plaid dress, and she presented her teacher with an apple-shaped cookie jar filled with cookies.

As a former teacher myself, I can’t imagine what must have gone through JB’s teacher’s mind when she saw this little girl’s costume, not to mention her gift. Who dresses like that? And who does stuff like that? It just seems like (unfortunate word choice) overkill.

Another example of Patsy’s out-of-touchness: her nauseating braggadocios Christmas letters. By 1995 or 1996 (the two letters I found through links on this site), Ann Landers and Dear Abby had already discussed for years how uncool it is to send out the generic Christmas newsletter with such image-enhancing “news.” Patsy’s 1996 letter, with all of her talk about Burke’s #1 team, JB’s pageant titles, John’s yachts, her birthday party, their Disney cruise, and their house being part of a home tour, was a classic example of the Christmas greetings people had been mocking for years. How could someone as seemingly social and “with it” as Patsy be so glaringly unaware of what people would think of this type of letter? Wouldn’t she realize all she was doing was blatantly bragging?

All's I'm saying is, if she was that oblivious during happy times, she probably had lost all sense of how she was coming across after JB's murder. I think that's probably why the people surrounding her didn't want her to open her mouth.

SuperDave said:
"One of the things I noticed when PR was alive is that publicly, anyway, she was kept on a very short leash...meaning whenever she made any kind of public appearance, her husband or attorney was right with her, and would speak for her half the time...

Other than "sound bytes" of info., and the more banal sentences she uttered on Larry King, she really never spoke independently in public..."

When did this happen?

I remember the one interview where Patsy is "addressing" the camera and shaking her finger at whoever did it. I think that is the time she said "and you know who you are" or something like that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back