CODIS Subject: DATA banks for DNA

Camper

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I thought this topic deserved a thread of its own. It came up on Nancy Grace program of Thurs Aug 24.

--->>>I heard Nancy Grace say that there is no national DNA data base.

This sent me digging. This is what I found.

Seems that ONLY 40 of our American States have law in place to enable them to GET and RECORD DNA samples from convicted sexual perps.

READ ON for my digging efforts:

http://www.promega.com/geneticidproc/ussymp6proc/niezgod.htm

Each state participating in the CODIS program has a single State DNA Index System (SDIS). The SDIS is typically operated by the agency responsible for implementing the state's convicted offender statute. At the state level,
inter-laboratory searching occurs.*

EXTERNAL ENVIRONMENT*

Today, forty states have passed legislation requiring convicted offenders to provide biological samples for DNA databasing (fig. 2). These statutes cover over 90% of the U.S. population. There are differences among state laws, but all cover felony sex offenses. Eight states have passed legislation this year, and three states have pending legislation. In addition, the FBI is in the process of drafting a federal DNA database law, covering federal and military courts and the District of Columbia.*

Snippets from the links above, take it upon yourselves to get smart about CODIS.

As I understand it, correct me if I err, but as I understand it each states forensic lab folks have an option of whether to enter their DNA into the national data base.

I think we have some significant gaps in locating the 'very mobile' sexual perps amongst us.

Camper said:
I think we have some significant gaps in locating the 'very mobile' sexual perps amongst us.
Goes to show how naive I am! I assumed since the ability was there they automatically put this information in to a national database! Wow!

LinetteH said:
Goes to show how naive I am! I assumed since the ability was there they automatically put this information in to a national database! Wow!

--->>>It would appear that WE need a separate system for those who are slipping under the radar of our current system. WE are currently NOT covering ALL of the CONVICTED sexual criminals, and not covering those who are NOT convicted but perhaps had a charge by a minor child, who was not believable by a JUDGE somewhere.

Camper said:
Dude- Let the forum decide which thread should be at the top.
4 posts to the thread and 3 of them are you and 2 bumps?
I know you know better than all of us but please.

IMHO bumps should result in an immediate ban.

:eek: Now be good Badsleuth. :D

It is an important part of solving crimes, and often ground based efforts result in change for the better. We have seen several of them as of late, for instance:

I was apalled when I learned you can not go on line in Oregon and find which sexual pervs, who have to register, are living. I want to know just to know. I believe a lot of others do too, as now there is a national bill being passed which will require this info being made public.

It does no good to go to a site and have to plug in a name to see who lives where. Heck, how would you have any idea! It was totally absurd.

Scandi

Oops! Forgot to add that 'Bumps' are traditional fare on any forum.

Badsleuth said:
Dude- Let the forum decide which thread should be at the top.
4 posts to the thread and 3 of them are you and 2 bumps?
I know you know better than all of us but please.

IMHO bumps should result in an immediate ban.

--->>>Donut know why you are here Badsleuth, but I and others are here to help stamp out dumbells.

My definition of dumbells here: Males and weird people who pervertedly murder and torture women and children as a 'fun thingie' to do.

I would bet that you did not go to the links in my opening thread and get a little smarter on how BEHIND the times America is on finding all of the murderers and perverts that HIDE behind and under the radar.

Which part of my initial thread didn't you like the most?

This part: Today, forty states have passed legislation requiring convicted offenders to provide biological samples for DNA databasing (fig. 2). These statutes cover over 90% of the U.S. population. There are differences among state laws, but all cover felony sex offenses.

Eight states have passed legislation this year, and three states have pending legislation.

OR this part: In addition, the FBI is in the process of drafting a federal DNA database law, covering federal and military courts and the District of Columbia.

I will continue bumping until I see the readership has increased enough to educate those who care, but that are presently dogging Karr with speculative posts, one right after the other.

At least my thread contains real FACTS.

After ten years here, I tend to my threads, take care of them because I care about the topic. IF IF I post a speculative thread, I will let it go OVER THE HILL when it is READY TO DIE.

If you can call me a DUDE, I can call you politely a Phart, phart is not a gender specific term. I am a grandmother of 17 wonderful people, two of whom are serving our country in our time of need. The military continues to provide us all with freedom of speech.

[/QUOTE]If you can call me a DUDE, I can call you politely a Phart, phart is not a gender specific term. I am a grandmother of 17 wonderful people, two of whom are serving our country in our time of need. The military continues to provide us all with freedom of speech.

[/QUOTE]

You tell 'em, Camper! :clap: :clap:

Time to get back to the basics again. Just facts here on DNA handling by our LE and local forensic labs, and the FBI.

This is a bumpity bump for justice and how it is served.

Where ARE all of the perps who will commit the NEXT murder of OUR children and our beautiful young women? HOW do WE find them before they do their dirty deeds once more.

LETS all get smarter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back