1356 users online (320 members and 1036 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Contractions: Ransom Note, Patricia Letters, JMK EMails

Beyond belief brought up on the Ransom note thread that use of contractions is very limited in the note. Don't is the only contraction used in the ransom note and it is used twice at the end when the note becomes personal, there were at least 9 other opportunities to use contractions in the note, they were not. There is also a hyphen between pick and up.

The emails from JMK to Tracey that have been published so far also are devoid of contractions.

Finally, the Patricia letters, at least the last one is missing contractions as well.

Call me crazy, but maybe it isn't just the look of the handwriting but possibly what is said and how it is worded.

Contractions do not prove guilt or innocence but they do show a pattern and it is overtly apparent.

BeyondBelief cited the following:
    Correct grammar for a classroom essay #6 Never use contractions

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/wr...des/grammar.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by absolut
    Beyond belief brought up on the Ransom note thread that use of contractions is very limited in the note. Don't is the only contraction used in the ransom note and it is used twice at the end when the note becomes personal, there were at least 9 other opportunities to use contractions in the note, they were not. There is also a hyphen between pick and up.

The emails from JMK to Tracey that have been published so far also are devoid of contractions.

Finally, the Patricia letters, at least the last one is missing contractions as well.

Call me crazy, but maybe it isn't just the look of the handwriting but possibly what is said and how it is worded.

Contractions do not prove guilt or innocence but they do show a pattern and it is overtly apparent.

BeyondBelief cited the following:
    Correct grammar for a classroom essay #6 Never use contractions

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/wr...des/grammar.cfm
    To tell you the truth, I never use contractions. I am also the hyphen-queen, lol!!!

But, you are correct. I have not noticed any contractions in the Patricia letters.
    The above is my opinion only based on published accounts of the case.

Karr was a teacher, would a teacher be less likely to use them?

OB
    this is just my opinion, it may be wrong, user beware!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Broad
    Karr was a teacher, would a teacher be less likely to use them?

OB

I use 'em all the time and I'm a teacher. But the use of them is more a part of "voice--" the character/personality of the writer coming through. Not using contractions creates a more formal style. Contractions are informal and indicate a closer relationship or a more casual tone. I sometimes use contractions for parent letters to deliberately soften the tone of requests or rules.

Use of contractions is also not common with second language learners--as are idioms, which is why the "foreign faction" of the ransom note did not ring true with me. Too many slang phrases.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfmarsGirl
    To tell you the truth, I never use contractions. I am also the hyphen-queen, lol!!!

But, you are correct. I have not noticed any contractions in the Patricia letters.

Ha! And I am the ellipsis queen ...