Judge issues gag order in Ramsey case

dark_shadows

Former Member
Reaction score
news link
Karr will appear before Judge Roxanne Bailin at 4:30 p.m. (6:30 p.m. ET).

Bailin on Friday issued a gag order, which applies to all attorneys and law enforcement officials involved in the case. While the principals can discuss some aspects of the case, they are not allowed to say anything that could jeopardize Karr receiving a fair trial

The order is necessary because of "the intense interest of the media in this matter and the amount of publicity that has resulted," Bailin wrote. "The court is concerned that the extensive participant and public comment will disrupt the processes by which a fair trial may be preserved."

Well, my question is: at this point, does a gag order benefit Karr or Lacy? I say Lacy, whose lack of a case can now hide behind this gag order. I mean, them arresting him is like the big international headline. Hiding the reasons is like the errata/ apology three word blurb at the back of the paper of "Whoops, we made a mistake." Lacy wants to minimize the amount of egg on her face, IMO.

Hyatt said:
Well, my question is: at this point, does a gag order benefit Karr or Lacy? I say Lacy, whose lack of a case can now hide behind this gag order. I mean, them arresting him is like the big international headline. Hiding the reasons is like the errata/ apology three word blurb at the back of the paper of "Whoops, we made a mistake." Lacy wants to minimize the amount of egg on her face, IMO.
Yes, you may be right. if i was her I would book a holiday to Barbados for a few months .

It was reported that the judge, Roxanne Bailin, is the same judge that presided over the Grand Jury in this case. Is that true? If so, would that create some sort of conflict for her? Will she be presiding over the entire case, or is she just sitting for the initial appearances?

Maybe it's just me, but I would think she would either recuse herself or Seth Temin should request it. In the event there is a conviction, would this be an issue on appeal?

lighthouselover said:
It was reported that the judge, Roxanne Bailin, is the same judge that presided over the Grand Jury in this case. Is that true? If so, would that create some sort of conflict for her? Will she be presiding over the entire case, or is she just sitting for the initial appearances?

Maybe it's just me, but I would think she would either recuse herself or Seth Temin should request it. In the event there is a conviction, would this be an issue on appeal?
Yes, it seemed to me that I had heard about this judge before but I couldn't place her. If it's the same one, I do think that there could be a problem. Does the DA appoint the judge to a case?

JMO

Poor poor Tracey! Does this mean he can't shop for a book publisher? His last two documentaries named the WRONG person and Tracey is sooooooooo sure he got THIS suspect right.

Tracey said he wants to retire after selling this book...seems to me Tracey has made enough money off the body of a dead little girl...while fingering innocent suspects.

But then again I'm not a journalism professor who calls a press conference to complain about all the media attention.

" . . seems to me Tracey has made enough money off the body of a dead little girl...while fingering innocent suspects".

Hi Show Me,

Shades of Dejas Vu! The show on Fox last evening that Tricia was on, The Big Story I think, had Garrison as a guest a bit earlier. I totally cracked up it was great when the commentator point blank asked Garrison that very point about making money off the dead body of a 6 year old little girl.

I think he addressed this to Garrison himself, except it could have been towards the Karr family. It did come out though that Garrison had approached the Karrs for his services, and not the Karrs coming to him.

This is the wrong thread for this, but it was interesting Garrison said the Karr family is going to stay out of the media limelight now until they see what develops in the case next week.

Scandi

Garrison also said there was never a book or movie deal and wanted to correct that little piece of misinformation.

I just have to say this...
Gag is exactly what I've been thinking ever since I heard about JMK!

OB

scandi said:
" . . seems to me Tracey has made enough money off the body of a dead little girl...while fingering innocent suspects".

Hi Show Me,

Shades of Dejas Vu! The show on Fox last evening that Tricia was on, The Big Story I think, had Garrison as a guest a bit earlier. I totally cracked up it was great when the commentator point blank asked Garrison that very point about making money off the dead body of a 6 year old little girl.

I think he addressed this to Garrison himself, except it could have been towards the Karr family. It did come out though that Garrison had approached the Karrs for his services, and not the Karrs coming to him.

This is the wrong thread for this, but it was interesting Garrison said the Karr family is going to stay out of the media limelight now until they see what develops in the case next week.

Scandi

Hi Scandi....I think it's best the Karr family clam up also.

I agree Show Me,

I was surprised by seeing Garrison for the first time, as he wasn't what I would expect as a spokseman or wheeler dealer in putting deals together for people. Maybe he just is not a gifted public s[eaker, but he was so darn nervous when he was talking it made me question him.

I saw him twice in the last couple of days, and the last time on FOX he had laryngitis from talking so much! I think I know why he was nervous. At that time we didn't know he had approached them. The way the media put it, to me it sounded like the Karrs were being perfunctional in hiring him. LOL And part of that could stem from the talk about how Jaime's law firm had possibly done something not proper in going to Karr to solidify a deal to represent him in Co. Jaime minimized the getting him to sign a contract as far as I am concerned!

Scandi

This gag order would profit Lacy, obviously.

She evidently thought to overcome all the criticizm about past bungling by showing she was willing to DO something. They're probably not hiding anything more by it.

I believe the gag order is just about Karr, not the JBR case in general.

Show Me said:
Poor poor Tracey! Does this mean he can't shop for a book publisher? His last two documentaries named the WRONG person and Tracey is sooooooooo sure he got THIS suspect right.

Tracey said he wants to retire after selling this book...seems to me Tracey has made enough money off the body of a dead little girl...while fingering innocent suspects.

But then again I'm not a journalism professor who calls a press conference to complain about all the media attention.
What would Tracey care about a gag order? He'll just make everything up like he's always done.

This has nothing to do with the Ramsey case. It's all about the California charges now.

Old Broad said:
I just have to say this...
Gag is exactly what I've been thinking ever since I heard about JMK!

OB

HAHA OB, you're right, this whole Karr thing has made me want to gag on my own, even without an order.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back