A question about Det. Linda Arndt...

englishleigh

Authentic Southern Belle
Reaction score
I am reading Steve Thomas' book about the case for the first time, and I just got to the part where Linda Arndt went to see Patsy on a social, unauthorized visit and then would not tell the Boulder detectives what they talked about, and told Steve Thomas that if she was kicked off the case, she'd "take herself out and everyone else" and made a gun-shooting motion at her temple. I'm not done with the book yet, of course, but WTF?????

Did Patsy confess to Linda and Linda didn't want to betray it?? Or what????

I don't think that is that, although of course I can't be sure. But I do know Linda Arndt believe John killed JBR.

MrsMush99 said:
I don't think that is that, although of course I can't be sure. But I do know Linda Arndt believe John killed JBR.

I just thought it was incredibly odd, esp. her threat to kill herself and everyone else if removed from the case? She was very traumatized by this case, it would seem.

Linda Arndt will be one of the most crucial witnesses to testify if ever their is a trial for any suspect for the murder of Jon Benet,

she was the first police officer to see how Jon Benets body looked like when her father carried her up the stairs,

she got the first statements off John Ramsey and Fleet White about how the body was positined when they found it,

she saw what was in the house and where that day,

so her eye witness testimony and any reports she made are vital,

how she will explain to the jury that she has been convinced by what she witnessed in the house that John Ramsey is the killer from day one if their is another suspect on trial is something the DA will have to work with,

because the DA will have to call her otherwise the defence will call her, and she will be a good defence witness

joe jones said:
Linda Arndt will be one of the most crucial witnesses to testify if ever their is a trial for any suspect for the murder of Jon Benet,

She sure will be...I don't know whether to feel VERY sorry for her or to be annoyed with her for all the mistakes she made early on in the case, the day JBR's body was found.

Linda changed her mind.

After Patsy passed away Linda was on Tv and what she said made me think that she no longer believes John had anything to do with it.
She said she had apologized to Patsy and had seen her before her death.

I feel the same way about Linda Arndt.

Sorry for her because she seems traumatized by the case, but angry that she was so unprofessional from the get-go.

englishleigh said:
She sure will be...I don't know whether to feel VERY sorry for her or to be annoyed with her for all the mistakes she made early on in the case, the day JBR's body was found.
She was dropped in it though, she was the only cop on the scene whilst they waited for the call from the kidnapper,

she was the only cop when the body was found,

once Patsy called 911 a senior officer should have been in the house at all times, and a consensual full thorough search of the house done,

according to her affadavit when she sued for her reputation being damaged she kept asking for help and got none until she phoned to say it was no longer a kidnapping but an homicide,

I think she got made a scapegoat for all the things done wrong that day, yes she did things wrong too, but alot was on her shoulders without any backup,

joe jones said:
She was dropped in it though, she was the only cop on the scene whilst they waited for the call from the kidnapper,

she was the only cop when the body was found,

once Patsy called 911 a senior officer should have been in the house at all times, and a consensual full thorough search of the house done,

according to her affadavit when she sued for her reputation being damaged she kept asking for help and got none until she phoned to say it was no longer a kidnapping but an homicide,

I think she got made a scapegoat for all the things done wrong that day, yes she did things wrong too, but alot was on her shoulders without any backup,

Joe, everything you say is very true. Poor Linda.

Joe, everything you say is very true. Poor Linda.

I have to disagree with "poor Linda"...doesn't even matter that poor Linda was the only officer around,she was a COP and she made very bad decisions.This f%^&*( up investigation started with Linda's mistakes.

PMPT,page 14

"Then he and detective Arndt decided to clear the house of nonessential persons.The six other police officers would leave......

Arndt,the Ramseys,the Whites,the Fernies,Rev.Hoverstock,and the the victim advocates would stay"

Errrr LOL.Did I understand this right.......the cops were the nonessential persons but not the friends?

PMPT,page17

"Just before 1:00 PM,Arndt asked Fleet White and John Fernie to take John Ramsey on another tour of the house.She wanted to keep Ramsey busy"

So she was worried that she couldn't control all those people,well wasn't she the one who decided they were essential persons who had the right to be there?

"She also wanted him to check if anything was missing...."

Wasn't that HER job?I mean at least keep the man company.

PMPT,page 19

"Arndt ordered Fleet White to guard the door to the basement and not let anyone in"

Excuse me?!
Guard the door in case WHO would wanna go in?
The second JB was found,wouldn't it have been normal to consider every person in the house a possible suspect?And you just send one to GUARD the door?! :doh:

I wonder why the Ramsey's never sued her,IF they're completely innocent like they claim.I would have.

Ardnt got her marching orders from Ellers. She was told the house had been "thoroughly searched" and she was suppose to wait at the house until the kidnappers called.

She wanted to bring in search dogs early on. She repeatedly requested backup and was ignored.

I believe her interview "about seeing" stars was done in preparation for her lawsuit. She wanted to show that John Ramsey could have been the perp and she was left alone. I do think she had post-traumatic stress. A large part of it due to being hung out to dry by the mostly male chauvinistic BPD....and no one defending her in the media. She was an easy target.

We've seen how conniving and deceitful Steve Thomas can be, and his disdain for Linda.

Ardnt got her marching orders from Ellers. She was told the house had been "thoroughly searched" and she was suppose to wait at the house until the kidnappers called.

She wanted to bring in search dogs early on. She repeatedly requested backup and was ignored.

I believe her interview "about seeing" stars was done in preparation for her lawsuit. She wanted to show that John Ramsey could have been the perp and she was left alone. I do think she had post-traumatic stress. A large part of it due to being hung out to dry by the mostly male chauvinistic BPD....and no one defending her in the media. She was an easy target.

We've seen how conniving and deceitful Steve Thomas can be, and his disdain for Linda.

Yep. That sound very possible.

Deceitful how? What do we know for a fact that he lied about?

Conniving how? Well, he did fit up Shapiro a bit wrt Hunter, but that was in the public interest.

Disdain how? By calling her a 'good cop?' By believing her tales of getting blood splashed on her door (when many IDI don't believe that this happened) and endlessly taking her tearful, stressed 'phone calls? By joining her as a witness when she wanted to take on BPD brass (see her depo)?

What he criticised was the speed with which she appeared to befriend Pasty - accepting flowers and going to unofficial chats when other officers were actively investigating her. She also started changing her notes. These can both be immensely damaging to an investigation and you can't surely expect Thomas to be over-the-moon about it.

As for this alleged chauvinism in the BPD, ST is full of praise for Jane Harmer, Detective Hickman and Officer Chromiak. He does, however, criticise Koby, is a bit ambivalent about Wickman and thinks Trujillo is slow. Said it before: ST isn't an especially fluffy, snuggly person but his abrasiveness doesn't discriminate.

Forgive me for bringing up this old stuff, but I am new!

I just read the transcript of the deposition of LA in her civil case against the BPD. Is she a wackadoodle or what? The part where she talks about Barb Fernie "stalking" her....is just crazy.

She came off as a nut job. I know she was pizzed that she was removed from the case, but I think there was good reason.

I'm new too and trying to read as fast as I can. Just finished DOI and started JonBenet by Steve Thomas.

On p 29 of JonBenet, there is this quote that has me :waitasec::waitasec::waitasec: It is just as JR has brought JBR upstairs.

Three years later Arndt described the event differently on national television, revealing information she never put in her police reports. "As we [Arndt and JR] looked at each other, I wore a shoulder holster, I remember tucking my gun right next to me and consciously counting I've got eighteen bullets," she said. "I didn't know if we'd all be alive when people showed up...Everything made sense in that instant and I knew what happened."

The next sentence jumps to Patsy on the far side of the house. WTH is that all about??? Why did she think she was going to need a gun and possibly use all 18 bullets against apparently unarmed people? Or did she think the house was about to be invaded?

Maybe it will be explained later but I am so lost.

I'm new too and trying to read as fast as I can. Just finished DOI and started JonBenet by Steve Thomas.

On p 29 of JonBenet, there is this quote that has me :waitasec::waitasec::waitasec: It is just as JR has brought JBR upstairs.

Three years later Arndt described the event differently on national television, revealing information she never put in her police reports. "As we [Arndt and JR] looked at each other, I wore a shoulder holster, I remember tucking my gun right next to me and consciously counting I've got eighteen bullets," she said. "I didn't know if we'd all be alive when people showed up...Everything made sense in that instant and I knew what happened."

The next sentence jumps to Patsy on the far side of the house. WTH is that all about??? Why did she think she was going to need a gun and possibly use all 18 bullets against apparently unarmed people? Or did she think the house was about to be invaded?

Maybe it will be explained later but I am so lost.

angelmom,
Arndt instictively always thought JR was JonBenet's killer. Something about his demeanour threatened her, her intuition may turn out to be prescient.

At some point Linda Arndt realized she was intended as a scapegoat, so she probably played the situation for the money.

I am reading Steve Thomas' book about the case for the first time, and I just got to the part where Linda Arndt went to see Patsy on a social, unauthorized visit and then would not tell the Boulder detectives what they talked about, and told Steve Thomas that if she was kicked off the case, she'd "take herself out and everyone else" and made a gun-shooting motion at her temple. I'm not done with the book yet, of course, but WTF?????

Did Patsy confess to Linda and Linda didn't want to betray it?? Or what????

englishleigh,
Publicly the investigation ran a public stance of neutrality or an assumption of IDI. Internally the investigation was pursuing an abuse theory describing JonBenets injuries as Genital Trauma. Also Holly Smith a member of Boulder County Sexual Abuse team discovered most of JonBenet's underwear was soiled, possible evidence of abuse. She was later dropped from the case and the chapter in her book relating to JonBenet was redacted.

So Arndt's reference to gun-shooting motion at her temple. probably meant she would reveal all this if she was binned!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back