128 Students Suspended at Ind. School

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
HAMMOND, Ind. (AP) -- Classrooms were a little less crowded at Morton High School on the first day of classes: 128 students were sent home for wearing the wrong clothes.

Fed up with inappropriate outfits, the principal suspended the students for one day Wednesday, minutes after doors opened at the school. Those suspended represent more than 10 percent of the 1,200 total students.

The offending attire - including baggy pants, low-cut shirts, tank tops and graphic T-shirts - are banned from classrooms. Students were also cited for cell phone use.

"This was the worst year I've seen in a long time," said Principal Theresa Mayerik. "It's gotten out of control, and we needed to send a message that we're not messing around."

http://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gif

The Hammond school usually has 20 dress code violations a day.

Mayerik said the infraction would be removed from students' records in 12 weeks if they had no other in-school violations.

School board members said they support Mayerik and the mass suspensions. "I'd be supportive if half the school was sent home, because 99 percent will get the message our schools are for education," board president Rebecca Ward said.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DRESS_CODE?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=ENTERTAINMENT

Beyond Belief said:
The offending attire - including baggy pants, low-cut shirts, tank tops and graphic T-shirts - are banned from classrooms. Students were also cited for cell phone use.
Actually, sagging doesn't bother me at all. But it's not fair if I can't sag, too.:(
Graphic t-shirts? Guess I'd better start reading them...or trying to. Most are written so graffiti-like that I'll need an interpreter.:eek: Tank tops - hey, I've worn them since my "flower child" days - of course I wear them as undershirts. Again, these don't bother me if the kids wear deodorant & lots of it. By early afternoon on a hot day, things can get raunchy.:eek: Low-cut shirts - now that's a sore point with me. I could wear all the low-cuts I wanted and no one would ever notice the difference. So these "blessed" young ladies should show some consideration for those "not blessed" and button up all the way to the neck. :p

Well,I have no sympathy for these kids,maybe because I'm a little envious--I spent 4 years at a private high school in Princeton NJ where we had to wear a coat and tie everyday--:)

cathieq said:
Actually, sagging doesn't bother me at all. But it's not fair if I can't sag, too.:(
Graphic t-shirts? Guess I'd better start reading them...or trying to. Most are written so graffiti-like that I'll need an interpreter.:eek: Tank tops - hey, I've worn them since my "flower child" days - of course I wear them as undershirts. Again, these don't bother me if the kids wear deodorant & lots of it. By early afternoon on a hot day, things can get raunchy.:eek: Low-cut shirts - now that's a sore point with me. I could wear all the low-cuts I wanted and no one would ever notice the difference. So these "blessed" young ladies should show some consideration for those "not blessed" and button up all the way to the neck. :p
I think the "baggy pants" in question are probably those that are hanging past the butt and belted at the knees... I think this is very inappropriate to wear any place, especially at school.

I've read some of those sayings on t-shirts that kids wear... I'm no prude, but I gotta tell you I DO blush at some of them! If it were my kid with one, it'd be in the trash reeeeaaaallll fast!

And low-cut is never appropriate at school...

We're talking young people, not adults... they should be dressing appropriately when at school. What they do after school and on weekends is between them and their parents.

This principal would need to be airlifted to Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital if he ever tried to work at a school in the Keys.

Not only would he be sending the students home but the staff too.

Although I don't see to many wearing low cut shirts or the excessively baggy jeans, they definately wear tank tops and flip flops.

Sally said:

exactly!!!...that's what a "dress code" IS...follow it, or be sent home...i graduated in 1976, & if we didn't follow the dress code, we were sent home...just that simple...

pants hangin off the azz & *advertiser censored* & butts showing..good grief, give me a break...if these kids can't follow 'rules' now, they'll be in sad shape once they get out of high school...course JMO :D

I just had a conversation with a co-worker yesterday. He's paying for his grandkids cell phones. He said one bill last year had him cancel their text messaging ability. He gave them each 1000 messages for $10 a month. They ran over that limit in one week. It seems as if the kids sit in class and text their classmates during class. If I were a teacher today, I'd have a box by my desk and have all phones cut off and place there until after class. It's amazing how a kid can't leave their house without a cell phone in their ear and it continues while they drive, park, go into businesses, etc. They just can't be seen not conversing or texting on their phones. I even have a woman who works for me always on her cell on personall long distance calls all day long. It's damn annoying. Don't get me wrong the BarnGod and I both have cell phones and find them valuable, but we aren't on them that often.

Also, as far as dress codes. I graduated in 1962. Boys had to wear loafer or oxford type shoes, slacks (no jeans), shirts with collars. Girls had to wear skirts or dresses. My two boys in high school were allowed to wear jeans and T-shirts. Even with this relaxed dress code from when I went to high school, I always made sure they were clean and neat. If a school wants a dress code, then it's ok by me.

Peter Hamilton said:
Well,I have no sympathy for these kids,maybe because I'm a little envious--I spent 4 years at a private high school in Princeton NJ where we had to wear a coat and tie everyday--:)

WOW! I sensed that about you Peter ever since I've read your posts. Amazing. You just have that mark of discretion and sensibility. You always contribute something that is applicable and to the point. It is nice to have you as a part of our sometimes crazy and wild group! :hand:

Scandi

I guess I cant relate much to kids nowdays as I went to a private school which required uniforms. We had strict rules as to how we could wear our hair, jewlery allowed etc. Trust me these kids dont know what a dress code truly is. Some of the things that I see teenagers wearing are completely innapropriate. Fostering individuality in teenagers can be done without your breasts/arse hanging out of your clothing. :banghead: I commend this principal, good for him taking a stand when he knew it would create a great deal of backlash.

Amen!!!
I hope these kids get the message.
There is nothing more frustrating than rules that are not enforced so good for him.

Wonder how many students text their answers to other students when taking a test?
Amy
BarnGoddess said:
I just had a conversation with a co-worker yesterday. He's paying for his grandkids cell phones. He said one bill last year had him cancel their text messaging ability. He gave them each 1000 messages for $10 a month. They ran over that limit in one week. It seems as if the kids sit in class and text their classmates during class. If I were a teacher today, I'd have a box by my desk and have all phones cut off and place there until after class. It's amazing how a kid can't leave their house without a cell phone in their ear and it continues while they drive, park, go into businesses, etc. They just can't be seen not conversing or texting on their phones. I even have a woman who works for me always on her cell on personall long distance calls all day long. It's damn annoying. Don't get me wrong the BarnGod and I both have cell phones and find them valuable, but we aren't on them that often.

Also, as far as dress codes. I graduated in 1962. Boys had to wear loafer or oxford type shoes, slacks (no jeans), shirts with collars. Girls had to wear skirts or dresses. My two boys in high school were allowed to wear jeans and T-shirts. Even with this relaxed dress code from when I went to high school, I always made sure they were clean and neat. If a school wants a dress code, then it's ok by me.

dottierainbow said:
Wonder how many students text their answers to other students when taking a test?
Amy
Loads. I have a good friend who is a professor at a local university and my alma mater. This particular university bans all mobile phones in the lecture halls because just this sort of problem. Not only do kids text the answers to each other but they text people outside of the hall to look up answers for them. Some have even taken photos of the exams to give to later class times so they will know what questions will be asked.

KJERVIS said:
Loads. I have a good friend who is a professor at a local university and my alma mater. This particular university bans all mobile phones in the lecture halls because just this sort of problem. Not only do kids text the answers to each other but they text people outside of the hall to look up answers for them. Some have even taken photos of the exams to give to later class times so they will know what questions will be asked.
This made me think of my school days. I remember once I wrote the answers to a test on my leg. I got into class and began taking the test but I was afraid to look at the answers for fear of getting caught. I guess all of the time that I spent trying to figure out a way to have the answers sunk in cause I knew the answers!

Shadow205 said:
This made me think of my school days. I remember once I wrote the answers to a test on my leg. I got into class and began taking the test but I was afraid to look at the answers for fear of getting caught. I guess all of the time that I spent trying to figure out a way to have the answers sunk in cause I knew the answers!
I often thought about trying to cheat but in the end, like you, I always chickened out. Back when I was in university if you were caught cheating you were dismissed from the university. I never wanted to take that chance.Id never have recovered from the shame.

Cheating at our private school was unheard of--nobody mentioned it,nobody tried it---The only thing which was used once were "Cliffs Notes',which you bought in a store,a small publication that condensed lengthy works of literature,while emphasizing important points--After all,none of us really wanted to actually read Moby Dick :)

Peter Hamilton said:
Cheating at our private school was unheard of--nobody mentioned it,nobody tried it---The only thing which was used once were "Cliffs Notes',which you bought in a store,a small publication that condensed lengthy works of literature,while emphasizing important points--After all,none of us really wanted to actually read Moby Dick :)
Ha Ha Ha! Your post reminded me of my undergrad days at a private school in Charleston. We had a terrific honor system but Cliffs Notes were fair game! Even though I actually READ Moby Dick...."Call me Ishmael."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back