Plane Crash....

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
I was trying to follow the details but they keep changing them.
I think its ConAir 191, Lexington to Atlanta.

BlueGrass Airport, Lexington, Ky.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/K/KENTUCKY_CRASH?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
Comair Flight Crashes Near Ky. Airport

http://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gifU.S. Video

http://hosted.ap.org/icons/spacer.gif
LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) -- A Comair flight carrying 50 people crashed a mile from Lexington's airport Sunday morning, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said local authorities have indicated there are significant fatalities. A team from the National Transportation Safety Board is en route to the crash scene, she said.

Comair Flight 191, a CRJ-100 regional jet with 47 passengers and three crew members, crashed at 6:07 a.m. shortly after taking off, Bergen said.

Comair is a subsidiary of Delta Air Lines based in the Cincinnati suburb of Erlanger, Ky.

Is there anything on survivors? I heard there was about 50 passengers on board. :(

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,210650,00.html

FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said local authorities have indicated there are significant fatalities. A team from the National Transportation Safety Board is en route to the crash scene, she said.

Comair Flight 5191, a CRJ-100 regional jet with 47 passengers and three crew members, crashed at 6:07 a.m. shortly after taking off, Bergen said.

Mygirlsadie said:
Is there anything on survivors? I heard there was about 50 passengers on board. :(

I was reading an online MSNBC report and one of the sentences was a comment from the first responders that there were no survivors. I went back to get the link and that comment wasn't there any longer.

Updates (3 minutes ago) say there are no survivors. Prayers to their families.

Sources saying the person taken to hospital maybe pilot or one of the crew.
Discussing using wrong runway, but remote possibility.
MSNBC talking to Lexington

Peter Hamilton said:
awful--that's the first big plane crash since 2001

VERY sad. I'm glad it wasn't a bigger plane with more people, but so very, very sad. Praying for the families. :(

They are saying the pilot may have used the wrong runway. :banghead:

I heard that too, from the coroner of Lexington, but news is reporting no survivors.

one survivor confirned at press confrence---Good lord,this is like that Jeff Bridges film Fearless(1993),where he is the lone plane crash survivor,and tries to kill himself over the "Survivor Guilt Syndrome"

The plane never made it into the air?

could it have been struck by lightning? An eyewitness on Fox just said he saw a flash of light and then an explosion and smoke.

Jovin said:

could it have been struck by lightning?

I heard it was at several hundred feet when it went down...so probably was 200-300 feet up....this is why I hate taking off when I fly...HATE it. I hate that feeling of being suspended at that incline and watching the ground drop away. Poor people. :(

englishleigh said:
I heard it was at several hundred feet when it went down...so probably was 200-300 feet up....this is why I hate taking off when I fly...HATE it. I hate that feeling of being suspended at that incline and watching the ground drop away. Poor people. :(

I just have not heard anything at all about whether it was on the ground or in the air.

Oh, okay...it was just mentioned on Fox that it took place about a half a mile past the runway. (Jay Ratcliff, aviation expert stated it.)

Jovin said:

could it have been struck by lightning? An eyewitness on Fox just said he saw a flash of light and then an explosion and smoke.
A plane doesn't normally go down due to lightning strike because they act like Faraday cages, i.e. the charge from a lightning bolt is distributed over its entire surface protecting whatever is inside, but you never know, if it hits the turbine directly anything is possible.

results from the black boxes will be known in 3 to 4 days,so maybe we'll find out exactly what happened then

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14540419/

The University of Kentucky hospital is treating one survivor, who is in critical condition, spokesman Jay Blanton said. No other survivors have been brought to the hospital, he said.

Fayette County Coroner Gary Ginn said the passengers and crew appeared to still be on the plane and the deaths were caused either by the impact or the “hot fire” on board.

“We are going to say a mass prayer before we begin the work of removing the bodies,” Ginn said, referring to the chaplains who serve the airport.

A temporary morgue is being set up at the scene and the bodies will be brought to the state medical examiner’s office in Frankfort, Ginn said.

Investigators from the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board were en route to the scene, FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown said.

The airport closed for three hours after the crash, but reopened by 9 a.m.

Comair is a subsidiary of Delta Air Lines based in the Cincinnati suburb of Erlanger, Ky.

The Bombardier Canadair CRJ-100 is a twin-engine aircraft that can carry up to 50 passengers, according to Delta’s Web site.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back