Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
Please add links/ information as available and I'll update the Timeline. Thanks

December 11,1964 Birth of John Mark Karr, brother Michael 3 years older

1969 – Parents separate

1972 - half-brother Nate is born

1973 – Parents divorced

1977 – John Mark Karr, 12, goes to Hamilton, Alabama to live with paternal grandparents

1981 - John attended one semester at Riverwood HS in Sandy Springs, Atlanta, from Jan to May 81, and lived there some years after graduating in Alabama.

1983 - John Mark Karr graduates from Hamilton High School.

1983/1984 – John Mark Karr married Quientana Shotts.

1985 – John Mark Karr marries Lara Knutson, 15

1989 - September 1, twin daughters were born, who died later that day. Innocence and

1990, 1992, 1993 Three sons born, John Mark, Damon, Seven Exodus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mark_Karr#Career
In 1996, about the time the powerwurks.com website was created, multiple posts were made to various Usenet newsgroups by a John Karr. In one post Karr described himself as a 31 year old with 3 young children, and that he planned to attend college and major in elementary education. One post purported to be from a 23-year-old woman named Lara, which coincided in both name and age to Karr's then-wife Lara. The posts were made to newsgroups dedicated to topics like "parents-teens", "personals", and groups frequented by students from elementary through high school. The posts contained references to the powerwurks.com website, and some described the purpose of the site.

1996 - March 9 - Karr accessed the alt.support.loneliness newsgroup talking about powerwurks.com

1996--August–September 1996: Karr served as a substitute teacher at Hamilton Elementary School. In September 1996, Karr was fired from a substitute teaching job in Alabama after parents complained about his classroom etiquette. "Things he would say in my opinion were not needed to be said in a classroom of elementary students," said Marion County School Superintendent Bravell Jackson.

1996 fall, John Mark Karr begins attending Bevill State Community College, in Hamilton, Alabama

During that time he also ran a used car business, according to Marion County Probate Judge Annette Bozeman, who often saw Karr in her office working on car titles

1996 - Gary Williams, assistant superintendent of Alabama's Franklin County School System, confirmed to TIME that John Mark Karr worked as a substitute teacher there on December 17, 18 and 19, of 1996.. He continued as a substitute teacher until May of 1997. While there, the elementary-school principal reprimanded Karr for behaving inappropriately with students. "She suspected some things and confronted him," said Williams. "He made corrections."

1996 – family Christmas in Atlanta

1997 – summer - John Mark Karr opens daycare center

2000 - March, Karr's mother died in a rest home in PA

2000 – summer, John Mark Karr moves family to Petaluma, CA

2000 - December, through March 2001, he worked in the Petaluma, Old Adobe, Liberty and Wilmar elementary districts as a substitute school teacher.

2001 – early in year, John Mark Karr contacts Wendy Hutchens re: Richard Allan Davis

2001 – April, John Mark Karr is arrested, jailed, on five counts of child *advertiser censored*

2001 – April, wife Lara files for divorce.two days after JMK's arrest

2001 – October, Karr is released from jail with restrictions

2001 – November, wife Lara files restraining order, divorce is finalized

2001 – December, John Mark Karr disappears, fails to show for January, 2002 court case

2002 – summer - in Paris, John Mark Karr meets Mike Sandrock, Boulder, CO journalist

2002 – summer - John Mark Karr begins emails with Michael Tracey, professor, journalist

2004 – Karr in Costa Rica teaching English

That piece of work experience is tellingly missing from Karr's resume. So is his experience at the Southwest School in La Esperanza, Honduras (though his tenure at another La Esperanza school gets prominent mention). Southwest's director, Caridad Pineda Ponce, recalled that John Karr lasted at her school barely a week before he was fired in 2004. He was canned, she said, for not working within the rules and guidelines of the school.

That currently embarrassed administrator is Banchong Chompowong, assistant director of the English immersion program at Bangkok Christian College, where 100 expatriate teachers see to the education of more than 5,000 boys. Karr worked at the school for two weeks in June as a first-grade English teacher. He seemed both polite and articulate, says Chompowong, but was fired at the end of his two-week trial for being a tad too strict.

This wasn't Karr's first shot at teaching Thai kids. Saint Joseph's Convent, an elite elementary and high school a short drive from the Christian college — where parents who drive late-model BMWs shell out $7,400 a semester to get their daughters educated — had hired Karr for a two- or three- week trial period earlier this year as a grade-school English teacher. "We were just seeing if he passed our standards," a senior school official who declined to be identified told TIME. "He didn't, so I fired him." She recalled that officials at Bangkok Christian College had called earlier this year to follow up on a reference Karr had given them. She said she told them that Karr hadn't passed muster.

Nobody has suggested yet that Karr behaved inappropriately with his students in Thailand.

2006 – August – Thailand - Karr is arrested for the murder of Jon Benet.

Buzz, good timeline! Don't forget his mother's death in 2000. I have a serious feeling that 2000 was the beginning of his "descent into madness."

Nice job, Buzz. Here are a couple things to add...

I'm showing that JMK married Quientana Shotts in 1984

September 1, 1989 twin daughters were born, who died later that day.

Buzzm1 said:
Thanks for helping out lhl, and Sun. Keep 'em coming and I'll keep on adding.
Just so you don't get bored, Buzz - here is another piece:

December 2000 through March 2001 he worked in the Petaluma, Old Adobe, Liberty and Wilmar elementary districts as a substitute school tacher.

Ca-Sun said:
Just so you don't get bored, Buzz - here is another piece:

December 2000 through March 2001 he worked in the Petaluma, Old Adobe, Liberty and Wilmar elementary districts as a substitute school tacher.

good info Sun, thanks.

Oh, and it *might* be important to note that the name given to one of JMK's deceased daughters was "Innocence". The Ramsey's book "Death of Innocence" came out in 2001. (which I believe further cemented his "connection" to JonBenet and Patsy)

Please add links/ information as available and I'll update the Timeline. Thanks

December 11,1964 Birth of John Mark Karr, brother Michael 3 years older

1969 – Parents separate

1972 - half-brother Nate is born

1973 – Parents divorced

1977 – John Mark Karr, 12, goes to Hamilton, Alabama to live with paternal grandparents

1983 - John Mark Karr graduates from Hamilton High School.

1983/1984 – John Mark Karr married Quientana Shotts, aged 13/14.

1985 – May - John Mark Karr marries Lara Marie Knutson, 15

1989 - September 1, twin daughters were born, who died later that day. Innocence and Angel.

1990, 1992, 1993 Three sons born, John Mark, Damon, Seven Exodus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mark_Karr#Career
In 1996, about the time the powerwurks.com website was created, multiple posts were made to various Usenet newsgroups by a John Karr. In one post Karr described himself as a 31 year old with 3 young children, and that he planned to attend college and major in elementary education. One post purported to be from a 23-year-old woman named Lara, which coincided in both name and age to Karr's then-wife Lara. The posts were made to newsgroups dedicated to topics like "parents-teens", "personals", and groups frequented by students from elementary through high school. The posts contained references to the powerwurks.com website, and some described the purpose of the site.

1996 - March 9 - Karr accessed the alt.support.loneliness newsgroup talking about powerwurks.com

1996--August–September 1996: Karr served as a substitute teacher at Hamilton Elementary School. In September 1996, Karr was fired from a substitute teaching job in Alabama after parents complained about his classroom etiquette. "Things he would say in my opinion were not needed to be said in a classroom of elementary students," said Marion County School Superintendent Bravell Jackson.

1996 fall, John Mark Karr begins attending Bevill State Community College, in Hamilton, Alabama

During that time he also ran a used car business, according to Marion County Probate Judge Annette Bozeman, who often saw Karr in her office working on car titles

1996 - Gary Williams, assistant superintendent of Alabama's Franklin County School System, confirmed to TIME that John Mark Karr worked as a substitute teacher there on December 17, 18 and 19, of 1996.. He continued as a substitute teacher until May of 1997. While there, the elementary-school principal reprimanded Karr for behaving inappropriately with students. "She suspected some things and confronted him," said Williams. "He made corrections."

1996 – family Christmas in Atlanta

1997 – summer - John Mark Karr opens daycare center

2000 - March, Karr's mother died in a rest home in PA

2000 – summer, John Mark Karr moves family to Petaluma, CA--stopping by Boulder on the way to gaze at the Ramsey home.

2000 - Melfa and Karr met in August 2000 in a Rite of Christian Initiation class they attended once a week at the St. Vincent De Paul Catholic Church.
During introductions at the group's first meeting, Melfa mentioned his involvement with a San Francisco barbershop chorus. Karr said he was a singer, too, and not long after Melfa took him to a tryout. Karr, a tenor, did well and was asked to return.
The way Karr presented himself impressed the group, the San Francisco Cable Car Chorus, as much as his voice. "He was the kind of guy who was always, like, on a performance, so they loved him," Melfa said.
"He wanted to be the center of attention," said Camilla Edwards, 74, a former nun and teacher who led the church class

2000 - He worked from December 2000 through March 2001 in as many as 14 schools in the Petaluma, Old Adobe, Liberty and Wilmar elementary districts.[22] His last paycheck for teaching work in Petaluma was issued in April 2001, the same month that he made his first court appearance for the aforementioned *advertiser censored* charges.
December, through March 2001, he worked in the Petaluma, Old Adobe, Liberty and Wilmar elementary districts as a substitute school teacher.

2001 – early in year, John Mark Karr contacts Wendy Hutchens re: Richard Allan Davis

2001 – April, John Mark Karr is arrested, jailed, on five counts of child *advertiser censored*

2001 – April, wife Lara files for divorce.two days after JMK's arrest

2001 – October, Karr is released from jail with restrictions

2001 – November, wife Lara files restraining order, divorce is finalized

2001 – December, John Mark Karr disappears, fails to show readiness hearing on his case set for January.

2002 - January, Karr fails to show up for his court case.

2002 – summer - in Paris, John Mark Karr meets Mike Sandrock, Boulder, CO journalist

2002 – summer - John Mark Karr begins emails with Michael Tracey, professor, journalist

2004 – Karr in Costa Rica teaching English

That piece of work experience is tellingly missing from Karr's resume. So is his experience at the Southwest School in La Esperanza, Honduras (though his tenure at another La Esperanza school gets prominent mention). Southwest's director, Caridad Pineda Ponce, recalled that John Karr lasted at her school barely a week before he was fired in 2004. He was canned, she said, for not working within the rules and guidelines of the school.

That currently embarrassed administrator is Banchong Chompowong, assistant director of the English immersion program at Bangkok Christian College, where 100 expatriate teachers see to the education of more than 5,000 boys. Karr worked at the school for two weeks in June as a first-grade English teacher. He seemed both polite and articulate, says Chompowong, but was fired at the end of his two-week trial for being a tad too strict.

This wasn't Karr's first shot at teaching Thai kids. Saint Joseph's Convent, an elite elementary and high school a short drive from the Christian college — where parents who drive late-model BMWs shell out $7,400 a semester to get their daughters educated — had hired Karr for a two- or three- week trial period earlier this year as a grade-school English teacher. "We were just seeing if he passed our standards," a senior school official who declined to be identified told TIME. "He didn't, so I fired him." She recalled that officials at Bangkok Christian College had called earlier this year to follow up on a reference Karr had given them. She said she told them that Karr hadn't passed muster.

Nobody has suggested yet that Karr behaved inappropriately with his students in Thailand.

2006 – August – Thailand - Karr is arrested for the murder of Jon Benet.

Petaluma confidants paint portrait of Karr

In the summer of 2000, after moving across the country from Alabama to Petaluma, John Mark Karr told acquaintances that he stopped in Boulder, Colo., to visit the house where JonBenet Ramsey had been discovered slain four years earlier.

"He said his wife and kids got mad because he diverted the trip," said Dennis Melfa, who got to know Karr in Petaluma at a class for adults joining the Catholic church.

Karr said his family had been upset because he parked them in a motel for a full day "while he went out and walked around the grounds of JonBenet's house, and touched the house and felt things, and got a feel for the place," said Melfa, 59.

"He said it was for research for his book," Melfa said.

Today, Karr, who was briefly a substitute teacher in Petaluma and a student teacher and substitute in Napa, sits in Boulder County Jail, about 5 miles from the former Ramsey home, facing charges of first-degree murder, kidnapping and sexual assault in connection with the infamous 1996 killing.

Arrested in Thailand, Karr has said he was with the former child beauty queen when she died at age 6, but that her death was an accident. People including Karr's family members and his estranged ex-wife, still a Petaluma resident, have publicly doubted his confession.

The recollections of Melfa and others who knew Karr locally shed no new light on whether the 41-year-old Georgia native killed Ramsey.

But they further illustrate the depths of his apparent obsession with young girls and their murders, and they also fill in a few more blanks in the portrait of an enigmatic figure.

Melfa and Karr met in August 2000 in a Rite of Christian Initiation class they attended once a week at the St. Vincent De Paul Catholic Church.

During introductions at the group's first meeting, Melfa mentioned his involvement with a San Francisco barbershop chorus. Karr said he was a singer, too, and not long after Melfa took him to a tryout. Karr, a tenor, did well and was asked to return.

The way Karr presented himself impressed the group, the San Francisco Cable Car Chorus, as much as his voice. "He was the kind of guy who was always, like, on a performance, so they loved him," Melfa said.

"He wanted to be the center of attention," said Camilla Edwards, 74, a former nun and teacher who led the church class.

"In the group, he did a lot of talking. He wanted to make himself known," Edwards said.
http://www1,pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060827/NEWS/608270304

Michael was born in 1959, making him 5 years older than his brother John Mark.

It has been reported this weekend that the mother attempted to kill both boys when Micahel was 9, John 4.

Hey, Buzz.How were the Brownies? Thanks for going through the trouble to post Karr's history.

kazzbar said:
Hey, Buzz.How were the Brownies? Thanks for going through the trouble to post Karr's history.
The brownies are dynamite kazzbar, thanks for asking. I'm getting ready to freeze them; that way I can have one at a time, and sometimes, one after another.

BillyGoatGruff said:
Michael was born in 1959, making him 5 years older than his brother John Mark.

It has been reported this weekend that the mother attempted to kill both boys when Micahel was 9, John 4.
BGG, I found a Michael S. Karr, 44, but I didn't see any 46 year olds. I'll check the news articles.

Buzzm1 said:
The brownies are dynamite kazzbar, thanks for asking. I'm getting ready to freeze them; that way I can have one at a time, and sometimes, one after another.
MMm. I have'nt had breakfast yet.I 'm not very restrained when it comes to Brownies.YUMMMY!!!

kazzbar said:
MMm. I have'nt had breakfast yet.I 'm not very restrained when it comes to Brownies.YUMMMY!!!
I bought a Costco Dutch Apple Pie on Friday. MegaPie. I had a large piece of that pie for breakfast this morning--it goes great with morning coffee

Buzzm1 said:
I bought a Costco Dutch Apple Pie on Friday. MegaPie. I had a large piece of that pie for breakfast this morning--it goes great with morning coffee
I think I am on the wrong part of websleuths I should be on the recipe threads. I love food. That is why I am fat when I should be skinny!

Buzzm1 said:
Mmmmmmmm.... apple pie and pumpkin pie - both are great for breakfast!

LOL, not to break up the snackfest....but the name of the other daughter that died was "Angel".

lighthouselover said:
LOL, not to break up the snackfest....but the name of the other daughter that died was "Angel".
Yes, Angel and Innocence> Kinda odd names really. But then again one of Karr's sons is Seven.OOh.I think the article Buzz posted is the best one I have read about Karr.
Initially he probably is just a bit of a talker and kinda different but on longer observation he is a wierdo.Well, this is my perception of Karr but it is hard to judge a person through articles.
Most people seem to end up recoiling after a while with him.I wonder if this is because he is very dependant and 'needy'?
Then again maybe he just 'creeps' people out.
Whatever the out come of all this is, Karr if he walks 'free' needs serious help from a shrink. This is certain. Oh, Boy!!...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back