668 users online (88 members and 580 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

CT - Barry James, 59, stabbed to death, Fairfield, 28 Aug 2006

Lawyer Stabs Neighbor Believed to Have Molested 2-Year-Old Daughter
    Wednesday, August 30, 2006

FAIRFIELD, Conn. — A lawyer climbed through a neighbor's bedroom window and stabbed him to death after being told by a family member that the man had molested his 2-year-old daughter, authorities say.

Barry James, 58, was stabbed in the chest nearly a dozen times Monday. The lawyer, Jonathon Edington, 29, was jailed on $1 million bail on charges of murder and burglary.

Capt. Gary MacNamara said Wednesday that police had not received a complaint about the child being assaulted before the killing, and "we have no indication it's true or not true."

Edington's attorney, Michael Sherman, said the information came from Edington's wife. "The daughter gave the mother information which was alarming and disturbing. The mom relayed it to her husband. That was the spark," Sherman said.

James' 87-year-old mother discovered his body. When officers went to Edington's home a short time later, they found him standing by his kitchen sink with blood on his hands and arms, authorities told the Connecticut Post. Officers said a large kitchen knife was next to him on a counter.

"He's in shock," Edington's attorney said. "This is the most unexpected turn of events one can imagine with this young man's background."

more at:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,211323,00.html

I just hope the molestation story was true, gawd, that sounds awful but, he killed the guy. I don't know how more parents keep from taking this action when finding out something like this...I would likely react the same way. I'd loose it, and someone would physically have to restrain me from hurting someone that has hurt one of my children.

I'm not sure a 2-year old could give enough detail to be absolutely, 100% sure that something actually happened. Without a doctor's visit, nothing???? Wouldn't someone whose used to having the facts before him want to at least know "something" had definately happened??? I think we're going to hear more about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I'm not sure a 2-year old could give enough detail to be absolutely, 100% sure that something actually happened. Without a doctor's visit, nothing???? Wouldn't someone whose used to having the facts before him want to at least know "something" had definately happened??? I think we're going to hear more about this one.
    I agree with you on that.

Wow! I get the intensity of emotion that led to this crime, but that's why we adults have to be adults. That 2-year old may have been molested, but now she is likely to lose her father. That fact is the only thing that would probably hold me back from killing someone if they molested one of my kids - I hope I would be sane enough to know that my kids are better off if I am not in jail.

I couldn't get away with murder....I'm not lucky in that regard like some folks...

And a two-year-old is a two-year-old....I would want a little more proof. I bet that mother is regretting that she told her husband.

I absolutely agree. This dude snapped for sure. Maybe some sort of diminished capacity plea????

This is scary if its not true.

I feel for the guy, but this is definitely vigilante justice at its most terrifying extreme.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    I absolutely agree. This dude snapped for sure. Maybe some sort of diminished capacity plea????
    Ditto, he snapped.......

Quote Originally Posted by Pharlap
    Ditto, he snapped.......
    Yep, he sure did! What ever happened, he made it worse!

I don't understand how a 2 year old could describe such things and I further wonder when this man would have had oppurtunity?

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    I don't understand how a 2 year old could describe such things and I further wonder when this man would have had oppurtunity?
    I, too, wonder about when James would have had the opportunity to molest the child. From articles I'm reading, James had been acting odd for months. The father had even reported that James was visible through the window in a state of undress (or something like that). So both mom & dad surely were in a heightened state of awareness and would not have allowed the child near the man. I'm rather puzzled. But if it is proven that the child was indeed molested...well...

The source for some of the info in my previous post:

Police had gone to the neighborhood before, when Edington called to complain that he could see James through a window, police said. "Either he was partly clothed or revealed parts of his anatomy that were inappropriate," MacNamara said.
    http://tinyurl.com/fwbmr

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    Some older two year olds can communicate quite well.

If it had been one of my girls, they would have been able to tell me if something really bad happened, and who did it. I spent a lot of time helping them learn words and how to make the right sounds to pronounce them. They were so thrilled when adults actually understood what they said!

I'm sure they would have told me immediately and since they would have had no way of knowing how to describe a molestation unless it really happened, I would have believed them.

In my opinion, a lot has to do with how well adults in her life communicate with her, and how well they listen. If you speak in "baby talk" to them and don't really listen when they try to speak, their verbal skills will be lacking.

Still, what a tragedy!

I'm thinking temporary insanity.

Susan
    Last edited by TGIRecovered; 08-30-2006 at 08:21 PM. Reason: left a word out

I can understand the anger - but this is so, so wrong. Vigilante justice - what justification for it there is, is for when the police fail, not when you fail to call them. And an involved person should not choose the punishment - was this crime really punishable by death? If it's rape - OK, I'm good for turning a blind eye - because those types are sick and will keep doing it - they need to be put down like a rabid dog. But if it was just him exposing himself to her - it's bad, deserves jail time, but that does not deserve death.

He's a fool, and deserves jail time. It's too bad that he's going to effectively punish his little girl a second time that way.

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast