TX - Jah’tavian Taylor, 20 mos, scalded to death, Dallas, 26 Aug 2006

cathieq

Reaction score
The mother and grandmother of a 20-month-old boy who died after suffering severe burns were arrested Wednesday morning.

Consuela Polk, 21, and Mae Edwards, 38, both of Dallas, each face a charge of injury to a child, a first-degree felony, for not seeking medical help for Jah’tavian Taylor...

“Evidence suggests that the child may have been scalded during a bath sometime over approximately the last 30 days.."
http://tinyurl.com/sxkyq

Burned sometime in the last 30 days...3rd degree burns over the lower half...
That baby suffered for that long - Bail $10,000 each? Something is terribly wrong with this world - and with this justice system.

I agree, CathieQ----Something IS terribly wrong with this world. It's frightening.

Can you imagine....a mother & daughter in on this together??? Boggles my mind. Can't even begin to wrap my brain around the dynamics going on in this family. Ugh!

Our justice system needs an overhaul. From my observations and dealings with all aspects of the system, it is apparent judges need more training and education about issues such as child abuse, domestic violence and sexual assault. I see time and time again, judges handing down harsher sentences and higher bail for a driving offense than for a man beating his wife.

his syblings...........

4, 2 and an infant?? 4 children under the age of 4! I am glad the other 3 are ok.

Dallas: Mom, grandmother of boy could face more jail time

12:00 AM CDT on Saturday, October 27, 2007
By JENNIFER EMILY / The Dallas Morning News
jemily@dallasnews.com
Jurors listened Friday to the tearful pleas of a mother and grandmother and gave them probation for not seeking medical care for a 20-month-old who died from severe burns while in their care.

But the judge said they may spend more time in jail.

In contrast to the earlier tears, Consuela Polk, 22, and Mae Edwards, 39, smiled as Judge Rick Magnis read that a jury had given each of them a 10-year suspended sentence.

snip

Judge Magnis did not immediately sentence the women. He told jurors that he wants to consider his options for the terms of their probation.

He said those options include not spending time with children unless another adult is present. He said he is also considering making the women spend 180 more days in jail as a part of their probation sentences.

The women have been in jail since shortly after Jah'tavian died in August 2006.

In closing arguments, Mr. Tinajero and prosecutor Carmen White had asked jurors to sentence the women to a minimum of 20 years.

More at link

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...ydeath_27net.ART0.North.Edition1.41fd7f1.html

Completely unbelievable.

It is not fair,especially to Jah'tavian who died in August 2006.Never had a chance to have a real life or a decent one.Justice for Jah'tavian would be DP or life in prison IMO.

why do juries by crocdile tears?

Because they either were never told about the other child who was burned who's medicine they used to treat him,or they were people not fit to be on a jury.

Below taken from article in Belinda's Link:banghead::furious:

The women treated Jah'tavian at home with prescription ointment from when another child was burned. They bandaged the wounds and cleaned them twice a day.

Below taken from article in Belinda's Link also
They told police in written statements that they did not take Jah'tavian to the hospital because they feared police and that Child Protective Services would take the children away.

IMO They did not call 911 because they had a reason to fear police,for the abuse of a 20 month old child who's mother scalded him so severely because of the mess the baby made.Most likely the child got tired of being in a filthy diaper, tore it off and then played with it.

If it was known the children all would be taken away,there goes the child support for those kids probably the mom's income and whatever benefits she was receiving.

Just wanted to add that I do not know the race of this family,as this is the first time I have read it.My sons baby Mom is on her third child with a third daddy who she dated 4 months before the pill stopped working, who abuses her 2 children(1 being my 4yr old GS).She neglects and abuses her kids as well, it really seems like she only wants the benefits instead of finishing school and getting a 9 to 5 job.She is 25 and White so this is not about Race it is a story about this generation of unfit mothers who think making babies to be able to live off welfare or child support checks is easier then getting a degree or a job.

Just a little more information I found in the court records. This was on the records for both women.

10/29/2007 - Defendant to serve 180 days county jail over 10 years probation starting 08/07/2008.

10/29/2007 - Defendant to serve 20 days county jail to begin 08/07/2008. (First part of several sessions.)

So, they weren't even inconvenienced by having to actually do the 180 days all at one time. 20 days at a time? Texas usually gives good sentences, but this is just sickening.

Our justice system needs an overhaul. From my observations and dealings with all aspects of the system, it is apparent judges need more training and education about issues such as child abuse, domestic violence and sexual assault. I see time and time again, judges handing down harsher sentences and higher bail for a driving offense than for a man beating his wife.

Despite all the hype to the contrary, USA does NOT value the lives of our little ones. When the rubber hits the road, we fail to count the most innocent amongst us as important, time after time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back