Principal fired for remarks over intercom

txsvicki

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
This is only one reason why I hate the TAKS test in our schools:

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/083106/edu_083106015.shtml

Seems the principal decided to announce that the percent of black kids in the school who failed certain areas is what brought the whole school down. So, the principal decided to announce this on the first day of school. Usually they wait until mid year to cause an induced clinical anxiety state in my grandkids and others, but I guess now it starts the very first day. Maybe this is why I got harassed so bad by teachers at the end of the school year last year, just before TAKS tests.

What an idiot!
THIS is why my teaching career ended in May! I REFUSE to teach to the test! I REFUSE to teach material my students don't need when they can't even READ!!!

Well I coudnt access the link but if that is truly what he did then he deserved to be fired on two levels. One as a racist and two as a bad educator for using anxiety to promote performance. Shame on him on both counts.

Glow said:
Well I coudnt access the link but if that is truly what he did then he deserved to be fired on two levels. One as a racist and two as a bad educator for using anxiety to promote performance. Shame on him on both counts.
I did access the link. The report stated that "
Low math and science scores among black students on the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills reduced the school's rating to academically unacceptable this year. About 33 percent of black students passed math, and 32 percent passed science."

So, the principal wasn't being racist - he was stating the facts. His school is being graded based on what percentages of black students pass a test. So, if there is a race difference in scores, then the black students are not getting what they need from the school and the school needs to make a change to reach those students. Yes - single out the racial group because the racial group is scoring lower. NOT because they are black, but because the school is failing to meet the needs of those students.

If you want to play the race card, it can be played, but it lies within the reason those kids didn't score well, or it lies within the fact that the people submitting the data even checking race and corrolating them to exams.

Instead of getting upset that someone said the blacks scored lower than the whites - you ought to get upset that someone ALLOWED THAT TO BE POSSIBLE, and didn't prepare the black kids according to their needs.

I do believe that if only 33% of kids are passing a basic subject - it's not the kid's fault. It's the school's.

I will agree that he shouldn't have addressed the issue on the PA system, but rather in a conference of the teachers that are allowing the students to fail without giving their best effort to the students.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back