1243 users online (276 members and 967 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Poll: Can child molesters be rehabilitated?

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Can child molesters be rehabilitated?????

No and I think it has be proven many times.

There's NEVER been any evidence that they can be.

On caveat to my No vote - this doesn't include every type of 'child molester' - an 18 having sex with a 17, and any penalties need to take into account the rare but real cases where a divorce or something else causes false accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by Details
    On caveat to my No vote - this doesn't include every type of 'child molester' - an 18 having sex with a 17, and any penalties need to take into account the rare but real cases where a divorce or something else causes false accusations.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Details
    I agree with that

Has anyone here ever seen the Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgewick movie called The Woodsman? It touches on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    Has anyone here ever seen the Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgewick movie called The Woodsman? It touches on this topic.
    No what is it about...you can im me if you dont wanna ruin it for everyone else....hehehe

I don't know how to vote. This is an interesting topic.

I don't think a person can be "cured" from their sexual orientation and I think pedophelia is a sexual orientation.

Certainly everything I know and read about molesters tells me that they do it over and over again, leaving a path of pain in their wake.

Still, I am a big believer in hope, change and redemption, so it's difficult for me to dismiss the possibility for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Gal
    No what is it about...you can im me if you dont wanna ruin it for everyone else....hehehe
    Here's a link to a review that will give you a general tone. I believe Bacon was nominated for some type of award for his performace, which was breathtaking.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/...3/the_woodsman

My ex husband spent 3 years in prison for dating a 16 year old girl that he says he thought was 17. I don't think he'd ever do that again.

However, if you mean little kids - I think it would take someone doing a complete internal struggle to change, and only about one in a million people would ever do that to that extent.

CAN they? Yeah, maybe one in a million. Do I want to trust the legal system to handle it? No.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

I don't know how to vote. This is an interesting topic.

I don't think a person can be "cured" from their sexual orientation and I think pedophelia is a sexual orientation.

Certainly everything I know and read about molesters tells me that they do it over and over again, leaving a path of pain in their wake.

Still, I am a big believer in hope, change and redemption, so it's difficult for me to dismiss the possibility for some people.
    IMHO I just dont want to chance it on a few people changing. think of it this way When people are molested they usually repeat the act when older. How can we stop this. We cant afford to lock them all up for life. Even then that is nicer than most peoples home life, 3 meals a day cable etc... I dont want to make anyone angry but IMO they should be given death it not the first time what about 2 3 4 and so on. When would be the right time to give them death?

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard
    My ex husband spent 3 years in prison for dating a 16 year old girl that he says he thought was 17. I don't think he'd ever do that again.

However, if you mean little kids - I think it would take someone doing a complete internal struggle to change, and only about one in a million people would ever do that to that extent.

CAN they? Yeah, maybe one in a million. Do I want to trust the legal system to handle it? No.
    Depends on how old the husband was...IMO i dont see a young man and girl dating, dependent on the age of the older person.

Here's a link to a review that will give you a general tone. I believe Bacon was nominated for some type of award for his performace, which was breathtaking.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/...3/the_woodsman
    thanks i will be renting tonight

IMHO I just dont want to chance it on a few people changing. think of it this way When people are molested they usually repeat the act when older. How can we stop this. We cant afford to lock them all up for life. Even then that is nicer than most peoples home life, 3 meals a day cable etc... I dont want to make anyone angry but IMO they should be given death it not the first time what about 2 3 4 and so on. When would be the right time to give them death?
    Much of what you say is true. I don't claim to have the answer. It would be nice if we could lock them all up and study them, but as you point out, that's hardly feasible at present.

I don't have strong feelings about the death penalty. I can make a persuasive arguement to myself both pro and con. I will say that I highly doubt that the laws in this country will change anytime soon to make child molestation a DP crime.

thanks i will be renting tonight
    In my opinion, it is truly worth a watch. It was one of the best movies I saw last year. It received a good deal of flack when it came out because of the subject matter. I will be interested to hear your opinion of it.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast