1237 users online (216 members and 1021 guests)  

Websleuths News

Poll: Can child molesters be rehabilitated?

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    I will say that I highly doubt that the laws in this country will change anytime soon to make child molestation a DP crime.

DEATH PENALTY:
    U.S. States Widen Scope for Executions

NEW YORK, Aug 28 (IPS) - Politicians in primarily southern U.S. states have passed laws that expand the use of the death penalty to include repeat child sex offenders -- a move mental health professionals say is ineffective in stopping molestation and abolitionists believe ultimately will be ruled unconstitutional.

Despite the warnings, though, two states, South Carolina and Oklahoma, this summer enacted laws that allow repeat child sex offenders to be put to death. They join Louisiana, Florida, and Montana, which already have similar laws on their books.

The governors of both Oklahoma and South Carolina argued that the sexual abuse of children is as bad as murder because molestation causes permanent damage to the life of the child.

more at:

http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=34488

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    DEATH PENALTY:
    U.S. States Widen Scope for Executions

NEW YORK, Aug 28 (IPS) - Politicians in primarily southern U.S. states have passed laws that expand the use of the death penalty to include repeat child sex offenders -- a move mental health professionals say is ineffective in stopping molestation and abolitionists believe ultimately will be ruled unconstitutional.

Despite the warnings, though, two states, South Carolina and Oklahoma, this summer enacted laws that allow repeat child sex offenders to be put to death. They join Louisiana, Florida, and Montana, which already have similar laws on their books.
    The governors of both Oklahoma and South Carolina argued that the sexual abuse of children is as bad as murder because molestation causes permanent damage to the life of the child.

more at:

http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=34488
    AMEN HOW CAN I GET IT IN MY STATES AND EVERY WHERE ELSE

Good for South Carolina - where I was born and raised - for coming down hard on repeat molesters!

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Gal
    AMEN HOW CAN I GET IT IN MY STATES AND EVERY WHERE ELSE
    Start writing some letters darlin!!!

Start writing some letters darlin!!!
    This really does just make my day. I thought there was no way in you know what of getting a law like that passed. Now I have hope.

This really does just make my day. I thought there was no way in you know what of getting a law like that passed. Now I have hope.
    See...change CAN happen...sometimes it's just slow going.

As a society we can barely understand and deal with mental disorders of any kind. Not to long ago people who were schizophrenic were thought to be possessed. Now a few hundred years later we know better but we still have only scratched the surface on that one mental disorder as well as many other aberrations of the mind. Literally, the mind is the last truly unexplored frontier.

As of now we know next to nothing about how a pedophile gets to be that way. There are some hypothesis about physio-socio environment but no one has come forward with anything concrete such as a gene marker for example. Because of lack of knowledge this horrific pathology is shrouded in the vagueness of the time we happen to be living in right now.

Pedophiles have a high rate of recidivism. That is even after intensive therapy. That is the best case scenario. Addressing this mental disorder as a crime sends them to prison (if they are caught) but that does nothing whatsoever to treat the condition.

As much as I hate to write anyone off as hopeless, I think this is the reality until and unless we know more later about how this pathology functions.

These people prey on the most innocent and vulnerable of society. They dont change and they cannot be helped. In my opinion this would be a good argument for use of the death penalty in todays society.
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

For the most part no.

But there are always exception to the rules.

Not many, of course, but I think (can't remember for sure) there is one guy that court TV uses a lot when discussing molestors. He is currently writing books and teaching others how to spot, other molestors. Gawd I wish I knew his name. But ya know, how do we really know he is reformed?

Reformed or not, they still don't need to have access to children ever. Even if they have been 'reformed' for 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    See...change CAN happen...sometimes it's just slow going.
    Every one every where start writing you letters today.Quistion to our ever so nice mod jeana... can we start a petion on here for something like that. I am new and dont know all the rules...so sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Glow
    As a society we can barely understand and deal with mental disorders of any kind. Not to long ago people who were schizophrenic were thought to be possessed. Now a few hundred years later we know better but we still have only scratched the surface on that one mental disorder as well as many other aberrations of the mind. Literally, the mind is the last truly unexplored frontier.

As of now we know next to nothing about how a pedophile gets to be that way. There are some hypothesis about physio-socio environment but no one has come forward with anything concrete such as a gene marker for example. Because of lack of knowledge this horrific pathology is shrouded in the vagueness of the time we happen to be living in right now.

Pedophiles have a high rate of recidivism. That is even after intensive therapy. That is the best case scenario. Addressing this mental disorder as a crime sends them to prison (if they are caught) but that does nothing whatsoever to treat the condition.

As much as I hate to write anyone off as hopeless, I think this is the reality until and unless we know more later about how this pathology functions.

These people prey on the most innocent and vulnerable of society. They dont change and they cannot be helped. In my opinion this would be a good argument for use of the death penalty in todays society.
    Post of the day!!! Good work.

Every one every where start writing you letters today.Quistion to our ever so nice mod jeana... can we start a petion on here for something like that. I am new and dont know all the rules...so sorry

Yes, but I'm not sure how much good it would do without "real" names, etc. You could type up a form for posters to copy and fill in and send to their state reps. What do you think about that?

well,I voted NO on the poll,keeping it unanimous----and everytime I see that former child molester Goldenflame on the news channels,doling out his "expertise",my nausea is not far behind

...Politicians in primarily southern U.S. states have passed laws that expand the use of the death penalty to include repeat child sex offenders -- a move mental health professionals say is ineffective in stopping molestation ...
    How many dead child molesters do mental health professionals think have molested more children?

But I'll settle for LWOP, on the first strike easily for the bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Details
    How many dead child molesters do mental health professionals think have molested more children?

But I'll settle for LWOP, on the first strike easily for the bad ones.

HaHa!!! some of them might try to come up with one or two.

I work with pedophiles and there has never been one who I would ever turn my back on if a child was 1000 ft away. Some can seem very sincere in saying they are sorry for past deeds and are working on changing, but the impulse and the thoughts are always there just waiting to bubble up to the surface. They have learned to put on the "normal face" until the right opportunity comes along.
    Some people can not grasp the fact that they are not the same as you or I, no one can be that sick, but they are. One woman at work thought it was sweet how one man liked to hear about her daughter and asked if he could have a picture of her, the stupid woman actually gave him one and looked at us in disbelief when we tried our best to explain just what he would be doing with the picture of her young daughter.
    If we honestly do want to protect society then they have to be stopped not given chance after chance.

OB
    this is just my opinion, it may be wrong, user beware!

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast