1217 users online (215 members and 1002 guests)  

Websleuths News

Poll: Can child molesters be rehabilitated?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    I really think it's very sad - some of them are sincere and wish they could change. But it's not a matter of willpower or whatever. They're broken, and we don't know any way to fix them, and they just can't be free in society, somehow their actions must be controlled to keep them away from children.

I voted NO. In Florida, we also have a program that keeps the sex offenders, of any type, confined after they complete their prison sentences, if a mental exam shows they are still a danger to the public.

They are suppose to receive treatment in this special mental health facility and can only be released when they improve to the point where they are no longer a danger to society.

Hint: very few are ever released.

I voted no and will add that I have thought for sometime that if they lost their eyesight the world would be a safer place. I know it sounds cruel, but what they do is much worse!

Sabego

Quote Originally Posted by Old Broad
    I work with pedophiles and there has never been one who I would ever turn my back on if a child was 1000 ft away. Some can seem very sincere in saying they are sorry for past deeds and are working on changing, but the impulse and the thoughts are always there just waiting to bubble up to the surface. They have learned to put on the "normal face" until the right opportunity comes along.
    Some people can not grasp the fact that they are not the same as you or I, no one can be that sick, but they are. One woman at work thought it was sweet how one man liked to hear about her daughter and asked if he could have a picture of her, the stupid woman actually gave him one and looked at us in disbelief when we tried our best to explain just what he would be doing with the picture of her young daughter.
    If we honestly do want to protect society then they have to be stopped not given chance after chance.

OB
    People like your co-worker are the bread & butter of pedophiles. They have no problem manipulating and exploiting naiive people. (Although once you have children you surrender your right to be called naiive and are officially regulated to the "stupid" category.)

Can child molesters be rehabilitated?

No.
    Sex offenders cannot be rehabilitated.

Quote Originally Posted by Reader
    I voted NO. In Florida, we also have a program that keeps the sex offenders, of any type, confined after they complete their prison sentences, if a mental exam shows they are still a danger to the public.

They are suppose to receive treatment in this special mental health facility and can only be released when they improve to the point where they are no longer a danger to society.

Hint: very few are ever released.
    Are you living in the same Florida I am??
    We are like the capitol of letting child molesters go!
    Think Jessica Lunsford? And Karli B. (forget her last name sorry)

I vote HELL NO. And if there is some slight remote chance it is possible I am sure not willing to test the theory. So let the scum bags rot. Really its the safe bet. Who suffers from it??

Quote Originally Posted by sabego
    I voted no and will add that I have thought for sometime that if they lost their eyesight the world would be a safer place. I know it sounds cruel, but what they do is much worse!

Sabego
    Now THAT'S thinking outside of the box....I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    Are you living in the same Florida I am??
    We are like the capitol of letting child molesters go!
    Think Jessica Lunsford? And Karli B. (forget her last name sorry)

I vote HELL NO. And if there is some slight remote chance it is possible I am sure not willing to test the theory. So let the scum bags rot. Really its the safe bet. Who suffers from it??
    Yes, those cases were horrible and those men should not have been out on the street, although I don't think Carli Brucia's killer, Joseph Smith, had been convicted as a sexual predator before.

However, there are good Florida laws for sexual predators, including the Jimmy Ryce Act which is the one that started the commitment program after their prison sentence is completed. However, a lot of them are not funded adequately so are not as successful as possible. According to the OPPAGA report for 2004, 5% of the offenders that were released from the commitment program have reoffended.

Here are a couple of good sites with information about Fl. sexual predator laws and a link to a flowchart about the commitment process. As of 6/30/06, 940 had been recommended for this program and 532 are held. As least those are off the street for now, but I agree much more needs to be done.

http://www.oppaga.state.fl.us/profiles/1079/

"In addition to sexual offenders and sexual predators, the law defines a third category, sexually violent predators. The Jimmy Ryce Involuntary Civil Commitment for Sexually Violent Predators' Treatment and Care Act provides for the civil confinement of a group of sexual offenders who are found likely to engage in future acts of sexual violence if they are not confined in a secure facility for long-term control, care and treatment. The Florida Legislature passed this act in 1998 to protect the public by keeping those sexual predators from reentering society until they have been judged fit for release from custody."

http://edr.state.fl.us/criminal%20ju...nformation.htm

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    Has anyone here ever seen the Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgewick movie called The Woodsman? It touches on this topic.

Is it out on DVD? I think they are both great actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    DEATH PENALTY:
    U.S. States Widen Scope for Executions

NEW YORK, Aug 28 (IPS) - Politicians in primarily southern U.S. states have passed laws that expand the use of the death penalty to include repeat child sex offenders -- a move mental health professionals say is ineffective in stopping molestation and abolitionists believe ultimately will be ruled unconstitutional.

Despite the warnings, though, two states, South Carolina and Oklahoma, this summer enacted laws that allow repeat child sex offenders to be put to death. They join Louisiana, Florida, and Montana, which already have similar laws on their books.

The governors of both Oklahoma and South Carolina argued that the sexual abuse of children is as bad as murder because molestation causes permanent damage to the life of the child.

more at:

http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=34488

Good for those governers. They have the guts to stand up and do what is right regardless of what others might think. They are putting children first. I wish the rest of these guttless wonders would follow suit.

A 67 year-old man in my unit "graduated" a sex offender treatment program and went on to be charged 3 times after the program.He completed the program in 1996 and was charged again in 2000,2004 and then again a couple of months ago..
    Fondling childeren.
    He was allowed to re-enter the program each time after 1996.As a matter of fact he was still in the program when he was arrested.
    He is only going to do a short time with us because he plea bargained.He will do less than a year.
    No,he does not see any mental health workers.

So since I have been in my job for well over a decade and have to work in their living unit(not like a caseworker,mental health or anyone who only sees these people for a short period of time if they even see them at all),I can answer no to the question on this thread.

HECK NO and i think it's been proven a lot.

No they are incurable. I guess some control their urge but most seem to just reoffend within a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel
    Is it out on DVD? I think they are both great actors.
    Yes, it is on DVD - was released last year.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Can alcoholism be cured?
    Can drug addiction be cured?
    Can a child molester be cured?

I think all of the above, in addition to other addictions, can be put under control with proper (AND INTENSE) counselling and therapy, but THEN ONLY IF THE person wants the help --- Help or no help, the addiction doesn't go away - it is always in the back of their mind, somewhere, lurking, patiently, reading to grab control of you again should you NOT keep yourself on a straight and narrow path.

Also, I believe we all do have some type of addiction, wanna share yours?

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast