Tracey's JonBenet Role Questioned!

UKGuy

Reaction score
Source:
http://www.wmtw.com/news/9771040/detail.html

Journalism Professor's JonBenet Role Questioned

DENVER -- Questions have surfaced about a University of Colorado at Boulder journalism professor who tipped authorities off about John Mark Karr's claim that he was JonBenet Ramsey's killer.

Journalism educators wonder if Michael Tracey crossed an ethical line keeping reporters independent of the government.

Educators said an academic in journalism has leeway to work with investigators. But if Tracey was acting as a journalist, the ethical rules guiding the profession would apply.

Tracey told The Associated Press he wasn't working as a journalist, and said he has no doubts he did the right thing.

Tracey kept a four-year correspondence with Karr, which led investigators to issue an arrest warrant on Karr in connection of the 1996 slaying. The case against Karr was dropped after DNA tests showed he could not be the killer.

Tracey is a researcher and scholar hired by the University of Colorado in 1988, according to his biography on the university's Web site. He came from England, where he was head of the Broadcasting Research Unit in London, Britain's leading think tank dealing with media issues.

In 1998 he began making documentary films, including three about the JonBenet Ramsey murder case. He is currently researching and writing two books dealing with aspects of what he terms "the injustice of the American justice system," according to the Web site.

Karr is being held at the Boulder County jail, where he is awaiting extradition to Sonoma County in northern California. He faces child *advertiser censored* charges there.

:D :D :silenced: :woohoo: :woohoo: :silenced: :D :D :hand: :D :D :silenced:

The happy little evil guys inside me sure do outnumber the quiet, 'speak no evil' fellows beside them on the subject of Tracey.

I am amazed after reading the 420 page transcripts that the man was able to endure reading and responding to the incessant, whacko babble for as long as he did. I will have to give him 'two thumbs up' for endurance no matter what his motive. (But I still have to silently chuckle at this backlash........ 15 minutes of fame usually has a sharp "BITE" no matter which side of the fence one stands.)

I have a journalist in my family. My understanding is that a good journalist covers a story, he doesn't become the story.....imho

sandraladeda said:
I have a journalist in my family. My understanding is that a good journalist covers a story, he doesn't become the story.....imho
Don't you all really admire Anderson Cooper???? IMO he will become the 'Peter Jennings' of my children's generation.

Tracey... Humm... Maybe not so much....;)

All evidence points to Tracey being a schmuck, but I think that this gripe against him is a tempest in a teapot. Giving him the benefit of doubt (for a moment) that he truely believed that JMK was involved in the murder of JBR, he has every right (and probably an obligation) to forward that info to LE. If some journalists feel that Tracey should have not reported to LE what he knew, then journalists have a twisted sense of civic duty, IMHO.

Just watching him on LKL made me nauseus! Larry King became so flustered with this arrogant bloke that he cut off the interview midway!

sandraladeda said:
ladaladale
hey I think its outrageous that this guy comes from britan
to write books on the failure of the american justice system-like who does he think he is-
IMO its like merle haggard says.."If u dont like it leave it"..

newtv said:
ladaladale
to write books on the failure of the american justice system-like who does he think he is-
Right on! He knows where he can take his smug, opportunist kiester.

Tricia is drawing a lot of attention to Tracey right now, and it's about time his motives and methods were questioned. With someone like Tracey, it's hard to tell where the incompetence ends and the subversion starts, as with his mockumentaries getting a number of facts wrong - facts that just happened to benefit the IDI case.

The whole Mike Helgoth-as-suspect fiasco seemed to be energized by people like Tracey. Pity some of the suspects weren't even in Colorado on the night of the murder, but hey, what are a few critical facts here and there?

As the Aussies say, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

G'day, mate.

Tracey set up karr beautifully.I think he saw Karr as an interesting new suspect and so cultivated this for his own use eg. book, mockumentary. But I think the whole thing got out of hand and he realised he had to hand the emails over.I think he also knew there was nothing new JMK was offering up but Karr's arrest and all the publicity will only further Tracey's cause. I think Karr was used but maybe Tracey will end up being the eventual 'loser'.Karr cannot lose anything else because he has lost everything.And soon he will lose his freedom.

newtv said:
ladaladale
Writing from Britain, I agree.

I find it especially rich that he condemns the US system of pre-trial reporting while putting a man's personal details on my TV screen and naming him 'prime suspect'. Hypocritical, much?

Fact is: Michael Tracy owes his current notoriety to doing the very thing he condemns - the only difference being that he has better 'inside' contacts.

Just another tabloid heart masquarading as a media intellectual.

I agree with pps. Our very own Tricia has had a huge hand in drawing attention to this idiot. He's not a journalist, he's scum, imo, of course. :blowkiss: To Tricia.

And doing the happy happy dance that FINALLY someone is seeing MT for what he is.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back