Trip DeMuth Speaks Out

sandraladeda

Inactive
Reaction score
I spotted this earlier at FFJ, credit to RiverRat, did not see it posted here....

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/dr...4958237,00.html

Boulder police in cross hairs
Former investigator: Leads were ignored in JonBenet murder

By Todd Hartman, Rocky Mountain News
August 31, 2006

A former Boulder deputy district attorney caught up in the JonBenet Ramsey case in its earliest phase said he was prohibited from chasing leads that pointed to an intruder committing the crime.

In a situation he described as unique in his legal career, Lawrence "Trip" DeMuth said he and his team of investigators in the Boulder District Attorney's Office were restricted from conducting any investigative work on their own, and that their suggestions for pursuing intruder-related leads were routinely ignored.

"We were restricted to reading police reports, from which we developed a lot of intruder leads," DeMuth said. "And then we were prohibited from pursuing those leads."

DeMuth, speaking publicly for the first time about his frustrations during his 21 months investigating the case, wouldn't put the blame on one person, but noted that the DA's office was serving in an advisory role to the Boulder Police Department.

"So the role that we were assuming was allowing the police to decide what direction the investigation followed," DeMuth said.

DeMuth is the latest to uncork pent-up frustrations from the decade-old case that has left scars throughout Boulder County's legal and law enforcement community.

***More at link....

Unbelievable....

And this quick response from the BPD, credit to Sabrina at FFJ for posting this link....

http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/inde...5786&Itemid=579

August 31, 2006 - Police response to allegations
Julie Brooks, PIO, (303) 441-3370
http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recent events in the nearly 10-year-old homicide of JonBenet Ramsey have rekindled the firestorm of accusations about how the Boulder Police Department handled the investigation into her death. The department has remained silent in recent years, as the effort to correct inaccuracies seemed futile.

In the fall of 1997, three prominent Denver-area attorneys, Dan Hoffman, Robert Miller, and Richard Baer, assisted the Boulder Police Department with the investigation. After reading comments made by Trip DeMuth in today's Rocky Mountain News, all three felt compelled to contact the police department to provide support. They have authorized the Boulder Police Department to release this statement on their behalf:

We assisted the Boulder Police Department in their investigation of the murder of JonBenet Ramsey. Throughout our involvement and to this day, we have never spoken to the media about this case because we feel that comments by anyone involved in the investigation could only compromise the ability to prosecute the perpetrator or perpetrators of this horrible crime. However, we are compelled to respond to the irresponsible statements of one of the deputy district attorneys who worked on the case, Trip DeMuth. Some ten years after the fact, DeMuth claims that he was somehow prevented by the Boulder Police Department from pursuing leads in the investigation. Based upon our knowledge of this matter, DeMuth's claim is ridiculous. Mr. DeMuth's assertion that the Boulder Police Department refused to pursue a variety of theories is also ludicrous. In our opinion, the Boulder Police Department, as well as Michael Kane, an experienced prosecutor, conducted an exhaustive and wide-ranging investigation of this matter. If Mr. DeMuth truly cares about seeing justice done, he should act responsibly and refrain from making inaccurate statements that could further jeopardize this investigation.

The Boulder Police Department, over the years, investigated more than 160 potential suspects in the case.

"A few people have accused the department of focusing too narrowly in its investigation of this homicide when that was not the case," said Chief Mark Beckner. "People who have spoken out that way have relied on the department's inability to discuss case specifics, but I cannot allow the misperceptions to go unanswered any longer."

Daniel Hoffman has practiced law in Colorado since 1958 and he was the dean of the University of Denver College of Law from 1978 to 1984. He is now in private practice at a firm in Denver. Robert Miller was the U.S. Attorney for Colorado from 1981 to 1988. Before that, he was the Weld County district attorney for 10 years. He is now in private practice in Denver. Richard Baer was a state prosecutor in New York before joining a law firm in Denver. He is now the executive vice president and general counsel for a large corporation in Denver.

I just posted a possible theory on the thread here titled "Every Possibility" that a member of Law Enforcement could have been involved in the murder. IF LE was "involved" don't they normally protect one of their own? (It is very far fetched but as probable as many other theories I've read.........)

By the way, two of my uncles were brutially murdered years ago......... LE was corrupt then and is still corrupt now. They were deeply involved in one or both of their murders. The public knows this but remain scared to admit it publically. They do not want to also end up as 'aligator bait'.

Just a thought...IMO

angelwngs said:
By the way, two of my uncles were brutially murdered years ago......... LE was corrupt then and is still corrupt now. They were deeply involved in one or both of their murders. The public knows this but remain scared to admit it publically. They do not want to also end up as 'aligator bait'.
Are you in Louisiana? I know several families who have the same sort of problems with LE in thier local areas and they all live in Louisiana. Just curious.

I'm bumping this up because this question re Louisiana was never answered and also because in another thread the day after Labor Day I mentioned Trip DuMuth having the opinion that a Santa gave JonBenet a note promising the secret visit after Christmas.

I don't think any perp would do that,not logical, but was there a false statement in the evidence he and other lawyers were given? I think the perp who molested her at the party on the 23rd, telling JBR she was so pretty he couldn't help himself, typical probably of pedophiles, just told her that so she'd be happy to see him later, not too frightened to cooperate. She liked the idea of secrets, evidently? Had been sworn to secrecy about molestation for a while there? Flattery was part of his routine?

Trippin' DaMouth is a fool. That's strong, I know, but he, like all the other members of the DA's office, wanted the killer to be Bill McReynolds.

This "man," DeMyth, before any evidence had come in, DECIDED that a parent couldn't kill their kids, so there was no need to investigate the Ramseys. That kind of thinking has NO PLACE in law!

This "man" was removed from the case and replaced by Michael Kane because of his lack of objectivity and general incompetence.

This "man" works (or did, anyway) for the Haddon law firm.

This man, one week before the Karr arrest, said that just because a ten-month-old had 28 broken bones, it doesn't prove murder.

What the HELL is this man DOING!?

did everything in their power to stop any kind of prosecution in this case. They actively sabotaged it, worked against the police and completely and absolutely openly sided with the Ramseys. (As did Lacy.)

"Following evidence wherever it goes..." Is that not one of the dumbest comments ever heard? So let's see, how does that work? A shoe salesclerk sold HiTec boots to Patsy Ramsey for Burke - did anyone check the alibi of the salesclerk, did they check the salesclerk's dna, did they look at the manufacturer of the shoes, to see where company employees were that night? What about the box the shoes came in? Did other customers notice Patsy and Burke Ramsey and follow them, did they check the dna of all the customers that were there that day besides Patsy? Until the police do that, they don't have a case. That's the way DeMuth, Hoffstrom and Smit thought the case should have been looked at.

No one can "follow evidence wherever it goes" not only is it impossible, but it's stupid and there is no end to it. I agree that the police didn't check the alibis of everyone living in Colorado on Dec. 25 and 26, but everyone living in Colorado wasn't in that house that night.

SuperDave said:
Trippin' DaMouth is a fool. That's strong, I know, but he, like all the other members of the DA's office, wanted the killer to be Bill McReynolds.

This "man," DeMyth, before any evidence had come in, DECIDED that a parent couldn't kill their kids, so there was no need to investigate the Ramseys. That kind of thinking has NO PLACE in law!

This "man" was removed from the case and replaced by Michael Kane because of his lack of objectivity and general incompetence.

This "man" works (or did, anyway) for the Haddon law firm.

This man, one week before the Karr arrest, said that just because a ten-month-old had 28 broken bones, it doesn't prove murder.

What the HELL is this man DOING!?

"Trippin DaMouth" says it all! And so do you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back