GUILTY NY - Trooper Joseph Longobardo, 32, shot to death, Pomfret, 31 Aug 2006

Paladin

Former Member
Reaction score
This guy escaped prison in Alden, NY on April 2nd, 2006 and has been eluding capture ever since. In that time, he's shot three New York State troopers, including 2 last night, 1 in the back and one in the leg which severed the trooper's artery. Both are in critical condition I believe.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/01/troopers.shot.ap/index.html

He's supposedly part native American, so he's been seeking refuge on the reservations around the Buffalo, NY area (where I'm from), and it's all the news channels ever talk about pretty much. A few people have been taken into custody for aiding and giving food and shelter to this guy.

He has stolen about 15 cars since his escape, and most recently broke into a gun shop and stole about 40 guns. The guy is seriously armed and dangerous, and I don't understand how the police haven't caught this guy yet. He keeps slipping through their fingers constantly.

" Police believe Phillips has been traveling back and forth between Philadelphia and New York state, Bennett said."

ok that is hitting a little too close for comfort.. this guy is not going to go quietly. I suspect he will go down fighting. I just wonder how many others will be injured or killed before he either is captured or killed?.. I suspect it will be that latter ...

He doesn't seem to be injuring or threatening civilians from what I can tell, but he has shot 3 cops. He's basically a dead man walking.

I had to laugh at the television today when channel 4 news here in Buffalo interviewed a woman who was supposedly friends with Bucky and she said "he didn't do anything wrong."

Apparently the state took his grand children away from his daughter in an effort to lure him out of hiding, and now they're speculating that him possibly shooting these two officers is some sort of retaliation.

Overall, most others down where this is happening don't like the disruption this is causing with their daily lives. During a press conference today at noon, the state trooper spokesman said there is no way they are going to apologize for any of the actions they have taken to bring this guy down.

They also interviewed Bucky's sister on the news. She was crying a bit and said what he's doing is wrong and to turn himself in before he gets hurt, but she suspects that he'll end up dead since the cops pretty much are out for blood at this point.

Apparently he is from Fredonia, that is in Mercer County. This link is for Butler County, but the suspect in this article was not him and he was released.....

http://www.insidebutlercounty.com/index.php?t=news_detail&id=20480

New York Fugitive Believed To Be in Pennsylvania
09-01-2006

State Police have reason to believe that an elusive fugitive responsible for shooting two state troopers in New York state this morning, may be in Pennsylvania.

44-year-old Ralph "Bucky" Phillips, of Fredonia, is accused of shooting two troopers that were staking out the home of his girlfriend early this morning. Both are in serious condition and are expected to recover. Phillips has been on the run since escaping from jail where he was serving time for a parole violation.

"Apparently he is from Fredonia, that is in Mercer County."

Actually,Fredonia is in Chautauqua County which is part of Western New York. Mercer County is in Pennsylvania.

Supposedly Bucky is kind of a "Rambo" commando kinda guy,so that is why he has alluded the police. He is also a kind of folk hero of sorts. I know this ,as I am from the town the troopers are and I am friends with several troopers.This has really hit home to them. We all complain about them writing tickets and such,but they do put their life on the line everyday.
Bucky basically ambushed them and from what I'm told,shot to kill. The one that was shot in the leg is still in a very touch and go situation.(He has a one year old son). I pray that Bucky doesn't take out anyone else when he gets cornered.

I heard on the news that Phillips was to get out of prison in four days on a technicality,but he didn't know that,then he escaped from prison.

I can't see this ending well at all. Either more troopers will be injured and killed, or Phillips will be injured or killed,or both.

What a horrible mess.

This just in from local news:

Fredonia - State police have confirmed that Trooper Joseph Longobardo, 32, has passed away at Erie County Medical Center in Buffalo. Trooper Longobardo was shot during an attack Thursday afternoon in the Town of Pomfret. State Police say fugitive Ralph "Bucky" Phillips is the prime suspect in the shooting of Longobardo and fellow Trooper Daniel Baker Jr.

Fredonia - State police have confirmed that Trooper Joseph Longobardo, 32, has passed away at Erie County Medical Center in Buffalo. Trooper Longobardo was shot during an attack Thursday afternoon in the Town of Pomfret. He was hit in leg with a shot from a high powered rifle. Longobardo suffered severe blood loss and his leg was amputated Saturday. State Police say fugitive Ralph "Bucky" Phillips is the prime suspect in the shooting of Logobardo and fellow Trooper Daniel Baker Jr. The condition of Trooper Baker Jr., 38, is improving tonight. He is now listed in Serious condition at Hamot Medical Center in Erie, PA. Trooper Longobardo leaves behind a wife and a young son. Stay tuned to News 4 for updates on this story and the manhunt for fugitive Ralph "Bucky" Phillips.

What a tragedy. I'm afraid Bucky is not long for this world himself. Now he really has nothing to lose. Supposedly he has made statements that he is out to kill troopers. I pray they get him before he gets anyone else.
Although the other trooper ,Baker ,has been slightly upgraded,he has a long road to go. I guess they had to remove his spleen,gall bladder and some other parts in the stomach area. Prayers are needed for him and his family as well as the poor deceased trooper's family.

capps said:
"Apparently he is from Fredonia, that is in Mercer County."

Actually,Fredonia is in Chautauqua County which is part of Western New York. Mercer County is in Pennsylvania.
Sorry about that...I thought since they were looking for him in PA that he was from our Fredonia in Mercer County PA, especially since they detained someone for an hour in Butler County, south of Mercer County. Again, my apologies.

Oy...what a mess. The cops said it's shoot to kill with this guy and that he's basically a dead man walking. It's not going to end well at all.

Some people are regarding him as a folk hero, but I don't see the sense in that. He shot 3 cops, 1 of them just died who had a small child and a wife.

The other thing that concerns me is they "suspect" that Bucky is the one responsible for the shootings. My concern specifically is, what if some other whacko or nutjob is out in the same area shooting cops? The cops will automatically suspect Bucky now while a copycat shooter will be less likely to be suspected.

From what I have read, public opinion before the troopers were shot were that he was something of a folk hero, but that after the troopers were shot- opinion is slowly changing. More and more of the locals are speaking out that it is time for him to come in and starting to get fearful of him.

mysteriew said:
From what I have read, public opinion before the troopers were shot were that he was something of a folk hero, but that after the troopers were shot- opinion is slowly changing. More and more of the locals are speaking out that it is time for him to come in and starting to get fearful of him.
Being from the area, I would say that's a fair analysis. More than anything, local residents are getting annoyed with the police and the disruption of their daily lives it is causing. I would say that the anger here is misdirected. What do they expect the police to do, not chase him? Not set up road blocks, etc? People are being unreasonable here.

I had a dream last night the cops found this guy and killed him in the process.

N.Y. Manhunt Disrupts Life As Usual
By CAROLYN THOMPSON
AP
FREDONIA, N.Y. (AP) - With an escaped convict suspected of killing one trooper and wounding two others still on the run, the first day of school in rural western New York Tuesday meant recess in the classroom, no outdoor sports practice and armed state troopers searching vehicles.

The normal rhythms of life in this sleepy corner of the state have been radically jolted as authorities scour the woods for Ralph "Bucky" Phillips, who has been on the run for five months. Safety concerns have locals worried the beloved deer hunting season might be canceled, and the village of Cassadaga even called off Labor Day festivities.

More at link: http://tinyurl.com/sxu3u

This case is going to be featured on America's Most Wanted this weekend. Maybe it will help catch Bucky.

I certainly hope that he is captured in the near future. John Walsh has been on O'Reilly and Greta's show and offered his own feelings about Phillips.

hockeymom said:
This case is going to be featured on America's Most Wanted this weekend. Maybe it will help catch Bucky.
I sincerely doubt this. This guy clearly has no intention of leaving the area for whatever reason. He's had PLENTY of opportunity to get FAR away from here but he keeps showing up. Everyone in this area knows what he looks like already as it's all that the news ever talks about these days. I think AMW may help if he ever decides to flee to another state but honestly, I have no clue what's going through this guy's head.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back