Have A Telephone? IRS Owes You Money

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
IRS Announces Refund Of Telephone Taxes
WASHINGTON -- Consumers can claim a standard $30 to $60 refund next year for a tax on long-distance telephone calls that the government declared invalid, the Internal Revenue Service announced Thursday.

Telephone customers had been paying the 3 percent federal excise tax on local and long-distance service. The government this month stopped collecting the tax on long-distance calls after businesses repeatedly fought the tax in court and won.

http://www.wftv.com/money/9774250/detail.html

Beyond Belief said:
IRS Announces Refund Of Telephone Taxes
WASHINGTON -- Consumers can claim a standard $30 to $60 refund next year for a tax on long-distance telephone calls that the government declared invalid, the Internal Revenue Service announced Thursday.

Telephone customers had been paying the 3 percent federal excise tax on local and long-distance service. The government this month stopped collecting the tax on long-distance calls after businesses repeatedly fought the tax in court and won.

http://www.wftv.com/money/9774250/detail.html
Thanks for posting this. I am sure that most people paid WAY more than 30-60 dollars.

I recieved a refund check from Bell South yesterday for .54 cents lol.

tybee204 said:

The perfect example of wastefulness. The cost of the check and postage is the same as the amount of the check! Why not just deduct the .54 from your next bill? I swear, I truly wonder who is in charge around here.

tybee204 said:
I'm embarrassed to say that I used to work for BellSouth at their data center programming things like this. I don't understand why they wouldn't credit a person's account with anything under a certain amount, say $1.00.

There has to be a reason why they did this and in such a fashion. It may have been something that they needed to do quickly. Who knows??

They have outsourced all of the programming jobs, I believe. So, things have really changed since I was there in their heydey. ;)

ETA: I forgot to thank BB for the link and information!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back