9-Year-Old Boy Dies After Mosquito Bite

Shadow205

Reaction score
BOSTON -- A 9-year-old Middleboro, Mass., boy died from Eastern equine encephalitis Thursday. He is the state's first EEE fatality this year.

John Fontaine developed a fever on Aug. 18 and was hospitalized two days later. His two-week battle with EEE ended at Boston Children's Hospital Thursday morning.

Middleborough was among the communities in southeastern Massachusetts that have undergone two rounds of aerial spraying to kill the mosquitoes that carry the virus. The first round of spraying Aug. 8 reduced the mosquito population by at least 60 percent, officials said.

Officials said they believe Fontaine was infected after the spraying.

<snip>

There were two other confirmed EEE cases in Massachusetts this year -- a 52-year-old woman from Lakeville, Mass., and a 23-year-old man from Acushnet, Mass.

Symptoms of EEE infection in humans include high fever, mental confusion, headache, stiff neck and lack of energy. The symptoms usually appear five to seven days after infection.

Inflammation and swelling of the brain, called encephalitis, is the most dangerous complication. Encephalitis can worsen quickly and patients may go into a coma within a week.

According to state health officials, about three of every 10 human cases is fatal.

more at the link http://www.wftv.com/health/9774391/detail.html

OMG! that is sooo sad.
There are so many mosquitos here some days you can't even walk to your car without being swarmed.

Doesn't this sound like Anngelique's nephew???

Anngelique, maybe this is what happened to little Devon!

gosh, this is scary...& sad

there was a woman here in Middle TN, that died within the last few days, of west nile virus...

Cupcake said:
Doesn't this sound like Anngelique's nephew???

Anngelique, maybe this is what happened to little Devon!

I had the exact same thought. But for some reason I think they tested him for this. I'll have to go back and check.

This is some scary stuff.

OMG, how horrible. I have a 9-year-old son named John. :( Prayers for the family...this is unbelievably scary!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back