A sham and a duvet

aspidistra

Reaction score
Here is something no one talks about. This is not the definition of a sham and a duvet, as any homemaker knows. We've been told a comforter was in the suitcase. Now, what was really in the suitcase and why? Has it been ruled out as having anything to do with the killer's/kidnapper's plans or not?

This is from a 1998 interview with John Ramsey and Lou Smit. Both Smit and Ramsey are wrong about what a sham is and what a duvet is. What else might everyone wrong about? PS for anyone who doesn't know, a sham is a pillow case for show only that is taken off at night and not slept on. A duvet is a comforter or quilt with a washable cover, sometimes used without a cover, usually down filled and sometimes polyester filled.

Is this the same suitcase that was supposedly filled with JBR's sheets? Or was that another suitcase? I ask as this is actual testimony and not tabloid stories.

---------
LOU SMIT: And I would like to ask
2 you just some questions. Do you know what a
3 sham is or a duvet?
4 JOHN RAMSEY: (Shaking head).
5 LOU SMIT: Two type of things?
6 JOHN RAMSEY: Sham is a blanket,
7 right? But duvet, I don't know.
8 LOU SMIT: Do you recall any shams
9 or duvets being in your house? I know if you
10 don't know what a duvet is, you probably don't
11 know to say it was in there but --
12 JOHN RAMSEY: No, I don't.
13 A sham, I mean I don't know if I
14 know what a sham was, a small blanket. That's
15 purely a guess, but we had lots of little
16 blankets and stuff like that around.
17 LOU SMIT: How about a Dr. Suess
18 book, do you remember anything in a Dr. Suess
19 book, either associated with John Andrew or
20 associated with JonBenet or anything that --
21 JOHN RAMSEY: Well, we had lots of
22 kids' books. We had bookshelves full of them.
23 I know that they had -- I know I read to 'em,
24 Dr. Suess books, so I am sure they were there.
25 LOU SMIT: Do you know why there
1 would be a sham and duvet and a Dr. Suess book
2 in that suitcase?
3 JOHN RAMSEY: Could you tell me
4 what a duvet is?
5 LOU SMIT: A duvet is also
6 something that fits on like on a couch or almost
7 a little blanket that fits on a couch.
8 JOHN RAMSEY: A square or does it
9 fit?
10 LOU SMIT: Yes. I have never seen
11 this, I don't have a photograph of it, but can
12 you think of why there would be a sham or duvet
13 in John Andrew's suitcase along with a Dr. Suess
14 book?
15 JOHN RAMSEY: No. My recollection
16 of where that suitcase came from was he brought
17 some clothes from Atlanta, where he went to
18 school, and when the kid left to go to school be
19 and every port in a storm in his apartment, and
20 it ended up and it was in his room for a while,
21 then it was in the laundry room outside of his
22 room for a while, and then I carried it
23 downstairs. I presumed it was empty.

Its a shame someone didn't stop the interview between these two and say the meaning of sham is a hoax or a fraud just like the cover up.

A sham is a covering for a pillow, and a duvet is like a comforter for a bed. You can tell these were two men talking. :doh:

A duvet is the removable COVER for a comforter, not the comforter itself. While a comforter would be rather bulky to fit inside most suitcases, a duvet will fold up relatively small (not much thicker than a sheet) and thus will fit easilt inside a suitcase.

This brings me to a thought in DOI.I have always wondered why JR wrote that (p.5) Patsy was packing clothes in suitcases laid out on the bed in JAR's room.Then he goes on to say that most of JB's pageant clothes were hung in Melinda's closet,and she laid out clothes on her dresser.
It seems JR was putting emphasis on the fact these rooms were empty and no one was staying in them at the time.That leads me to believe that perhaps they weren't.Perhaps they did have a guest or two.

Cypros said:
A duvet is the removable COVER for a comforter, not the comforter itself. While a comforter would be rather bulky to fit inside most suitcases, a duvet will fold up relatively small (not much thicker than a sheet) and thus will fit easilt inside a suitcase.
We refer to the cover as a duvet also. but I think in reality it is the fact that the comforter has a cover is what makes it a duvet.I think both usages are correct.

I agree with Cypros -- a duvet covers the comforter, and can be taken off to wash. The sham covers a pillowcase.

I don't think a comforter could fit in the suitcase we saw.

JBean said:
We refer to the cover as a duvet also. but I think in reality it is the fact that the comforter has a cover is what makes it a duvet.I think both usages are correct.

'Duvet' is a comforter. (Websters)

'Duvet Cover' is a cover for the comforter. 'Duvet Cover' is used to keep the comforter clean. One only has to wash the 'duvet cover', rather than the conforter.

'Duvet Covers', are not bulky, and can be folded for storage. They take up almost as little space as a sheet. Like a pillow sham, it has two sides, so maybe someone was trying to descrilbe to LS, exatly what the item was, and used the term 'sham', as putting a pillow in a sham cover for an example. Otherwise, these two make NO sense at all. :crazy: -on a couch? :crazy: This is the blind leading the blind. lol

Zelda said:
I agree with Cypros -- a duvet covers the comforter, and can be taken off to wash. The sham covers a pillowcase.

I don't think a comforter could fit in the suitcase we saw.[/QUOTE]

If it was in a space bag it could. LOL ;)

lilpony said:
Zelda said:

I don't think a comforter could fit in the suitcase we saw.[/QUOTE]

:laugh:If it was in a space bag it could. LOL ;)
I smell an infomercial:D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back