Identified! PA - Bones found along the Monongahela River - Steven Berry

mum33004

Reaction score
Human Remains Found Along Mon River

(KDKA) FORWARD TWP. Bones found along the Monongahela River in Forward Township have been confirmed as being human.

Wednesday, a woman discovered what she described as a leg bone while searching the riverbank for shells near Molnar's Marina.

The bones were discovered near a pile of clothes which also contained human remains.

mum33004 said:
Human Remains Found Along Mon River

(KDKA) FORWARD TWP. Bones found along the Monongahela River in Forward Township have been confirmed as being human.

Wednesday, a woman discovered what she described as a leg bone while searching the riverbank for shells near Molnar's Marina.

The bones were discovered near a pile of clothes which also contained human remains.
I'll be interested in hearing more about this. I grew up in that area. I don't know where Molnar's Marina is.

I vaguely remember where Bunola is:

Molnar's Marina 185 Elk Horn
Bunola, PA - 15020 United States
412-384-3442

It's about 20 minutes from my house. It is on Route 51 going towards Pittsburgh. It's a bar/restaurant.

I haven't heard anything else on this. There are a couple of people who have been missing over the years who live in this area.

I also heard there was a man fishing in a boat last spring & his boat capsized but his body was never found. The woman who found the bones said the leg bone had screws with numbers on them. I haven't heard anything else.

Authorities try to identify remains found near Mon

Thursday, August 31, 2006

By Jim McKinnon, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Human remains found last night along the Monongahela River in Forward are being examined today by the Allegheny County Medical Examiner.

Speculation is that the remains could be those of Steven Berry Jr., 35, a Washington County man who, with a fishing buddy, disappeared April 22 after they fell from their boat on the Mon in Fayette County.

The body of one of the men, Trent A. Stupak, 40, of Washington, Pa., was recovered a week later on April 29 down river from the Maxwell Lock and Dam, where the 16-foot boat had capsized.

Cristy Berry, Mr. Berry's wife, held out hope that her husband would be found soon after.

Last night, a woman walking along the Monongahela River reported finding human bones along the east bank, across the water from Allegheny Power Co.'s Mitchell Station and near the Molnar Marina off Molnar Road in Forward, the medical examiner said.

There is no confirmation today that the remains found last night are those of Mr. Berry. The medical examiner said today that a tentative identification has been made, but investigators are waiting to check dental records for a positive conclusion.

Mrs. Berry, 34, declined comment today, except to say that she and their two children and other relatives are waiting for word from the medical examiner. An investigator for the medical examiner said it may take until tomorrow to make positive identification.

mum33004 said:
I also heard there was a man fishing in a boat last spring & his boat capsized but his body was never found. The woman who found the bones said the leg bone had screws with numbers on them. I haven't heard anything else.
The screws in the leg bone should be a dead giveaway to the identification of the body.

Monongahela River remains identified

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Skeletal remains discovered along the banks of the Monongahela River in Forward Wednesday are those of missing fisherman Steven R. Berry Jr., 35, of Amity, Washington County, the Allegheny County medical examiner's office reported.

Mr. Berry disappeared along with a friend on April 22 after their 16-foot fishing boat capsized at the Maxwell Lock and Dam in Fayette County.

The body of Mr. Berry's friend, Trent A. Stupak, 40, of Washington, Pa., was recovered a week after the accident.

An official cause of Mr. Berry's death has not yet been determined.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06245/718661-55.stm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back