944 users online (186 members and 758 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FL - Robert Helphrey, 34, Palm Harbor, 21 May 2006

Robert Helphrey's disappearance has his parents, who already lost one child, reeling amid the uncertainty.

Published July 10, 2006

And then one night Robert Helphrey was just gone.

It was May 21, a Sunday. Business was slow at Thirsty Marlin, the seafood house where Helphrey, 34, worked as general manager. He closed the bar about 12:30 a.m. - early by night shift standards - and joined two co-workers for a nightcap at Peggy O'Neills Irish Pub & Eatery across the street.

A little more than an hour later, Helphrey told the others he was heading home, climbed into his grey Mitsubishi SUV and drove off toward his apartment on U.S. 19 in Palm Harbor.

That was the last known sighting of Helphrey, a well-built, hard-working father of two girls, aged 8 and 3.

"The car hasn't turned up; he hasn't turned up. ... There have not been any leads; there have not been any sightings." said Pinellas County Sheriff's Detective Michael Bailey. "Basically, he's dropped off the planet."

Bailey said his unit handles about 150 missing person cases a year, but Helphrey's does not seem to fit any of the usual patterns.

"Most of them, they're missing but they aren't really missing," Bailey said. "It just seems different. ... I don't think he just took off. Based on interviews, he doesn't seem like that kind of person."

more at the link http://www.sptimes.com/2006/07/10/No...le__a_co.shtml
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 05-29-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Retired 08/03/03

accident?

I hope he turns up ok but at first glance this sounds almost like someone drove off into a lake, creek, pond, abandoned fishery or something similar. Any such things in the area?

Quote Originally Posted by docwho3
    I hope he turns up ok but at first glance this sounds almost like someone drove off into a lake, creek, pond, abandoned fishery or something similar. Any such things in the area?
    This was my first thought too. Did he cross any bridges on his usual route home?
    Linette

Quote Originally Posted by docwho3

Way down in the article, there's a line about his tag being run in Tampa, three days after he was last seen. That changes the complexion somewhat.
    It also says :
    But the trooper, they said, apparently did not make any notes, not even his name or ID number, and the computer is not capable of providing more information.
    Hard to believe this since all inquiries are logged as to time, computer station, and person signed on.(These guys get in trouble occasionallyfor running plates for some less-than-pristine reason; this is how they're caught)
    Either FL troopers are using 1970s equipment, or they don't want to release further info. Am thinking either they looked him over and the trooper didn't see enough to pull him over (a pull-over should have generated a report) or now they feel a car theft/carjacking has taken place and are keeping mum about letting a carjacker slip by them. Still, why the further secrecy?
    Last edited by crypto6; 09-04-2006 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spellin

My thoughts and prayers are with the Helphrey family. I haven't seen them in a long time, but I knew them when I was growing up. I remember when Bob's sister passed away, it was such a difficult time for everyone.

I haven't heard a lot about what is going on with Bob's case, so websleuth members, especially those in FL, please keep us posted if you hear anything. Thanks!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crypto6
    Way down in the article, there's a line about his tag being run in Tampa, three days after he was last seen. That changes the complexion somewhat.
    It also says :
    But the trooper, they said, apparently did not make any notes, not even his name or ID number, and the computer is not capable of providing more information. . .
    Thanks for the info. And that's why I said "at first glance". I had not yet read the linked article but only the websleuths short version in post one. It seems that more may yet turn up concerning this case.

Did they ever find this guy? I checked the St Petersburg times archives and there was nothing more after about a week after his disapearance. I live by Palm Harbor and car jackings are highly unusual.
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuthster View Post
    Did they ever find this guy? I checked the St Petersburg times archives and there was nothing more after about a week after his disapearance. I live by Palm Harbor and car jackings are highly unusual.

I wish we would hear something...was he found or is he still missing? I wonder if his parents have decided to keep anything further out of the media?

If this guy is still missing it is really sad. It doesn't sound to me like he would have just taken off to start a new life as that cop stated. Why would he leave his job and his daughters? He would have to know what it would do to his parents not knowing where he was. It just sounds like he was to responsible to do something like that.

There have been a lot of case of foul play where the body hasn't been found to this day. There have also been case where the vehicle hasn't been found either. It sounds like that cop believes that he just took off to start a new life because there has been no sign of foul play and because his vehicle is still missing. What will he say when this young man turns up dead somewhere???????

Here is info on Robert Helphrey that was just posted this week on the Pinellas Sheriffs website

http://www.pcsoweb.com/Unsolved%20Cases/ImageFull.aspx?ID=106
    Cindi Lou

The Charley Project
    Robert David Helphrey
    Missing since May 22, 2006 from Palm Harbor, Florida
    Endangered Missing
    Date of Birth: August 28, 1971
    34 years old
    5'11 190-220 pounds
    Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Helphrey's nickname is Bob. He has a fence tattooed around his arm and a tasmanian devil tattooed on his ankle, and he may have a fish tattooed on the back of his shoulder.
    Clothing/Jewelry Description: Possibly a polo shirt with the words *Thirsty Marlin* printed on it, shorts and a leather necklace with a brown stone.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Pinellas County Sheriff's Office
    727-582-6200

New story in news tonight
    http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/...3054&catid=250

Bob Helphrey wasn't the type of guy who would disappear without a trace.
    If he was going to be five minutes late, he'd call you an hour beforehand to let you know. He was responsible and a man of his word.
    When Bob told you something, he meant it.
    A Desert Storm war hero, Bob always lived a regimented life. His military background demanded it. Even when he came home stateside, Bob's habits followed him. He was always on time. He was organized, and people respected him for it.
    Bob often worked two jobs to make life comfortable for his girls. He was also being recruited to become an Army Ranger. To an outsider, Bob was as structured as they come.
    You can also visit the CrimeStoppers of Tampa Bay website at http://www.crimestoppersofpinellas.org/.

Melanie Brooks, 10 Connects
    Last edited by imamaze; 11-11-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: copyright 10% of article only
    Cindi Lou

Wow, how does a man and his truck vanish for this long? You would think his truck would have been found, even if under water...

I hate that his friend would not cooperate with police...he must know it makes him look guilty-is he?? Is he going about his life as normal while Bob's parents and kids suffer??
    Just my opinion, of course.

And it's probably a stupid reason IMO that he wouldnt let the police search his house, ie:weed or pills or something I'm thinking. Yet, it makes him suspect and throws the whole investigation towards him. If he didnt have anything to do with it then it has hindered them finding what happened to Robert Helphrey.
    Cindi Lou

BTW, there are 2 people missing from Palm Harbor and they both disapeared along with their cars.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...er_brenda.html

Palm Harbor is a sleepy little town on the West Coast of Florida. The biggest crime that happens here are dui deaths and kids breaking into cars.

Both cases have always plaqued me. I mean are they related, individual cases, or did the earth just open up twice and take missing people and their cars???

My father's really lost his marbles over the years, he's in a home now. But a few years ago he theorized that someone should search the canal that runs into Lake Tarpon from Palm Harbor for Brenda Snouffer's car. I'm beginning to think that's not a crazy idea. It's the one place you probably could put a car. Just like they find cars years later in canals on the East Coast of Fl.
    Cindi Lou

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast