1046 users online (227 members and 819 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - Sumio, 82, & Betty Takehara, San Diego, 12 Aug 2006

They left home Aug. 12, took car, dog with them

The Takeharas, who will celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary next week, have been missing since Aug. 12.

It looks as if the couple left on their own – they took their dog and their car – because they were about to be pulled apart.

Two months ago, Sumio went on a waiting list at a nursing home for veterans. The home would not take Betty because she isn't a veteran.

If they fled, they didn't leave much of a trail. They left behind credit cards and they haven't made any cash withdrawals.

Their medications and Sumio's walker are still in the Serra Mesa home they shared with their only daughter. “He has had several strokes, and he was getting weaker and weaker,” Jan Takehara said of her 82-year-old father. “My mom was wondering what was going to happen to her, and how she was going to see Dad every day. She got ill because she wasn't sleeping, and she was worrying so much. They were both depressed.”

More at the link http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...m26couple.html

This is so sad. It sounds like they just could not stand the thought of being seperated.
    Retired 08/03/03

I wonder if they haven't decided to do a suicide pact. I hate to say that but when people have been married for 60 years they are a part of each other and if one dies the other usually follows not far behind. This poor couple, no wonder they were both depressed. One of the couple just can't be taken away without the other.

There are homes that will take couples and put them in the same room. I wonder if anyone checked into an Assisted Living home for them. Someone probably was depending on the husband's vet benefits to cover his care but that was really unfair. It's a terrible thing to get old and sickly and not have any say so about what happens to you.

I think that we will find that these two have gone to heaven together.

This is so sad...

Bodies of missing couple thought to be found in car

Canyon foliage hid Toyota from view

By Tanya Sierra
    STAFF WRITER

September 5, 2006

A Toyota Camry belonging to an elderly San Diego couple who have been missing since Aug. 12 was found last night on the side of Harbison Canyon Road, where shrubs and trees kept it hidden from anyone looking out over the canyon. The bodies of a man and a woman were inside, but the California Highway Patrol would not release their identities until they had been confirmed by the medical examiner.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...7m5couple.html

Los Angeles, CA - I'm officially a "Valley Girl"
    What a sad story Just breaks my heart to think that they may have felt this was their only option. Such a shame.

What I find sad about this is that a woman who stood beside her husband (possibly even while he was serving his country) is not allowed to go to a VA nursing home with him. I am continually amazed and heartbroken at how we treat our veterans!!

Quote Originally Posted by LButler
    What I find sad about this is that a woman who stood beside her husband (possibly even while he was serving his country) is not allowed to go to a VA nursing home with him. I am continually amazed and heartbroken at how we treat our veterans!!

AMEN!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LButler
    Great Post!!!

You certainly struck a chord with all of us, LButler! This is no way to treat any of our elderly, especially a veteran!! It just seems to me that a veteran and their spouse should never have to worry about these kinds of things. They took care of us during times of war and were willing to do so during times of peace, we should be so kind as to take care of them whenever the time comes and it is needed. It's shameful!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine
    You certainly struck a chord with all of us, LButler! This is no way to treat any of our elderly, especially a veteran!! It just seems to me that a veteran and their spouse should never have to worry about these kinds of things. They took care of us during times of war and were willing to do so during times of peace, we should be so kind as to take care of them whenever the time comes and it is needed. It's shameful!
    I work for an agecny that provides Veteran services, among other things. Our Veteran's assistants go above an beyond to tap resources for our area's Veteran population. Many times, that includes making sure that their families are cared for as well. There are a variety of funding sources and programs available to Veterans, the resources are out there if the right people now where to look for them. Shameful, absolutely shameful

So very sad. They should never have had to worry about being apart after all of their years together.
    Retired 08/03/03

You know though, if both of these people made this decision, together, as they have done everything else for 60 years, then i'm not sad one bit. I'm not saying I'm pro-suicide, or that you all don't also have valid points, but there are SO MANy worse things that could have happened to these two.
    Rest in peace little Marcus.

Where is Jaycee Lee Dugard?

Quote Originally Posted by californiacarrie
    You know though, if both of these people made this decision, together, as they have done everything else for 60 years, then i'm not sad one bit. I'm not saying I'm pro-suicide, or that you all don't also have valid points, but there are SO MANy worse things that could have happened to these two.

I'm sad for them because they should never have been placed in a position to have to had made that kind of choice. I'm sure they would have much rather have lived out the rest of their days together even if it was in one room.

If this had been my mom and dad I would have turned the earth upside down to see that they could have stayed together. There had to have been a way but evidently there wasn't anyone who took the time to find that way. I think this is just horrible and if it was my parents I would be so broken hearted. Can you just imagine two little elderly people making the decision to die together because they couldn't bare to be seperated? They probably worked hard all of their lives, paid lots of taxes, he served in the military but when you reach a certain age and you are no longer productive you don't have much value to anyone but maybe your children. Maybe.

The daughter is quoted as saying her Mom had been depressed lately because she was worried about how she was going to see her husband once he was in the nursing home.

Couldn't the daughter have reassured her Mom that they would still be able to see each other? I don't know....maybe she did, but...
    Why would they have taken their dog if it was a suicide pact? The article states the daughter lived with them, so it's not like the dog would've been left alone. This is frustrating....I don't understand. Does it seem to anyone else that there was hardly any media reports on this? I'm a big news junkie, and this is first I am hearing of this.

While I oppose war, I completely support our troops--and it's horrible that the home wouldn't accept the wife also. Bakerprune--when you say that many times the Veterans assistants care for the families as well, and that the resources are out there if people look, do you mean that this woman actually could have stayed in the Veterans nursing home along with her husband if only someone had pursued those resources?

Julianne - I live locally and go to this part of San Diego quite often and never heard of this case. That seems a little odd, but for some reason San Diego news never makes it to Orange County like LA county news does.

Quote Originally Posted by julianne
    The daughter is quoted as saying her Mom had been depressed lately because she was worried about how she was going to see her husband once he was in the nursing home.

Couldn't the daughter have reassured her Mom that they would still be able to see each other? I don't know....maybe she did, but...
    Why would they have taken their dog if it was a suicide pact? The article states the daughter lived with them, so it's not like the dog would've been left alone. This is frustrating....I don't understand. Does it seem to anyone else that there was hardly any media reports on this? I'm a big news junkie, and this is first I am hearing of this.

While I oppose war, I completely support our troops--and it's horrible that the home wouldn't accept the wife also. Bakerprune--when you say that many times the Veterans assistants care for the families as well, and that the resources are out there if people look, do you mean that this woman actually could have stayed in the Veterans nursing home along with her husband if only someone had pursued those resources?
    Quite possibly. I don't do the VA work but I know the extent they go to around here to help our Veterans and their families. There are also other Aged programs out there that could have quite possibly helped these people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast