757 users online (92 members and 665 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Los Angeles, CA - I'm officially a "Valley Girl"

Talking Giant Panda Gives Birth at Zoo Atlanta

THE THIRD TIME IS A CHARM!

Zoo Atlanta’s Giant Pandas, Lun Lun and Yang Yang Successfully Reproduce

ATLANTA – Sept. 6, 2006 - Zoo Atlanta animal management staff confirmed today that 9-year-old female giant panda Lun Lun (Loon Loon), and 8-year-old male giant panda Yang Yang (Yahng Yahng) successfully produced a cub. Delivery took place at 4:51 p.m. in a specially constructed birthing den in the Giant Panda Building at Zoo Atlanta.

This panda cub birth at Zoo Atlanta is the fifth birth in a U.S. zoo within the last six years. Only an estimated 1,600 to 3,000 giant pandas remain in the wild today, with 185 additional living in captivity.

See full story at link (with photos):

http://www.zooatlanta.org/zoo_news_panda_birth.htm

Big success for my beloved pandas

Terrific news! We were just at the zoo Monday and the mother was in quarantine. I am so glad that she and her baby are doing well!

You really love those Pandas don't you KrisNine, Steve would be proud of you
    There's not many of them left, I had no idea the numbers were so low..
    Geez.
    I couldn't see a pic of the baby..just Mum and Dad.

I do love them. I try to do what I can to raise awareness. Thanks, I like to think Steve would be proud By the way, the mom is holding the baby in the picture, it's that tiny little thing:

I thought it might have been, it was just too small and I couldn't make it out lol...thanks for the clarification

Krisnine, you are so right, Steve is smiling down from heaven on this little panda!! Welcome to the world, little neighbor (I am 90 miles from Atlanta)!!

Maybe they will name it after Steve!

Congrats Mommy Lun Lun and Daddy Yang Yang! I am so happy that her cub is finally here, and her long, arduous pregnancy is over. Looking so forward to seeing and learning much more on this lil darling baby panda. From the looks of it, Lun Lun is going to be a terrific panda mom!
    I pray for peace in a world gone mad.

All posts are IMHO only!

Lun Lun was in labor for a little over 35 hours!! That's a record for pandas in captivity!! I hope everyone who is lucky enough to live in the Atlanta area can make the trip to see this little darling when s/he debuts sometime, probably early next year

How sweet I love pandas...

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine
    Lun Lun was in labor for a little over 35 hours!! That's a record for pandas in captivity!! I hope everyone who is lucky enough to live in the Atlanta area can make the trip to see this little darling when s/he debuts sometime, probably early next year
    What do they weigh when they are born - about 8 oz.? 35 hrs. in labor is alot longer than I labored with my 9 lb. 12 oz. son! Seems like they ought to be able to spit them out with one or two grunts!

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper
    What do they weigh when they are born - about 8 oz.? 35 hrs. in labor is alot longer than I labored with my 9 lb. 12 oz. son! Seems like they ought to be able to spit them out with one or two grunts!
    Even less than that...they weigh 4 oz!! I don't understand their labor process. But they said she was pretty uncomfortable. Here's a link to the moment of birth for those that are so inclined. The baby is a real squawker and is letting momma know s/he's there. Lun Lun looks a little confused by the baby.

http://www.ajc.com/news/mplayer/m/4828

For all who are eager to see the new mommy and her baby, Zoo Atlanta will have them on their panda cam starting Friday morning 10 am Eastern time. It may be hard to see the cub as he/she is so tiny. Can't wait to watch this new lil sweetie thrive and grow to be a healthy, strong and adorable cub!

http://www.zooatlanta.org/animals_panda_cam.htm

All posts are IMHO only!

Baby is so small I hope mom does not eat her on accident A panda cannot have a cub this small
    This is just my opinion.

While 4 ounces is the standard weight for newborn cubs, there was one born in China a few weeks ago who was only 51 grams, or 2 ounces! Smallest recorded cub weight ever.
    The same week the biggest cub ever was also born: 8 ounces, after a 35 hour labour!
    No worries on mom eating her baby, as they only eat bamboo. (& fruitsicles).
    Is my pandaholism showing?

All posts are IMHO only!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast