Giant Panda Gives Birth at Zoo Atlanta

KrisNine

Reaction score
THE THIRD TIME IS A CHARM!

Zoo Atlanta’s Giant Pandas, Lun Lun and Yang Yang Successfully Reproduce​

ATLANTA – Sept. 6, 2006 - Zoo Atlanta animal management staff confirmed today that 9-year-old female giant panda Lun Lun (Loon Loon), and 8-year-old male giant panda Yang Yang (Yahng Yahng) successfully produced a cub. Delivery took place at 4:51 p.m. in a specially constructed birthing den in the Giant Panda Building at Zoo Atlanta.​

This panda cub birth at Zoo Atlanta is the fifth birth in a U.S. zoo within the last six years. Only an estimated 1,600 to 3,000 giant pandas remain in the wild today, with 185 additional living in captivity.

See full story at link (with photos):

http://www.zooatlanta.org/zoo_news_panda_birth.htm

Big success for my beloved pandas :)

Terrific news! We were just at the zoo Monday and the mother was in quarantine. I am so glad that she and her baby are doing well!

You really love those Pandas don't you KrisNine, Steve would be proud of you :D
There's not many of them left, I had no idea the numbers were so low..
Geez.
I couldn't see a pic of the baby..just Mum and Dad.

I do love them. I try to do what I can to raise awareness. Thanks, I like to think Steve would be proud :) By the way, the mom is holding the baby in the picture, it's that tiny little thing:
za_cub_infant_inarms.jpg

I thought it might have been, it was just too small and I couldn't make it out lol...thanks for the clarification :)

Krisnine, you are so right, Steve is smiling down from heaven on this little panda!! Welcome to the world, little neighbor (I am 90 miles from Atlanta)!!

Congrats Mommy Lun Lun and Daddy Yang Yang! I am so happy that her cub is finally here, and her long, arduous pregnancy is over. Looking so forward to seeing and learning much more on this lil darling baby panda. From the looks of it, Lun Lun is going to be a terrific panda mom! :dance: :woohoo:

Lun Lun was in labor for a little over 35 hours!! That's a record for pandas in captivity!! I hope everyone who is lucky enough to live in the Atlanta area can make the trip to see this little darling when s/he debuts sometime, probably early next year :)

How sweet :p I love pandas...

KrisNine said:
Lun Lun was in labor for a little over 35 hours!! That's a record for pandas in captivity!! I hope everyone who is lucky enough to live in the Atlanta area can make the trip to see this little darling when s/he debuts sometime, probably early next year :)

What do they weigh when they are born - about 8 oz.? 35 hrs. in labor is alot longer than I labored with my 9 lb. 12 oz. son! Seems like they ought to be able to spit them out with one or two grunts!

Pepper said:
What do they weigh when they are born - about 8 oz.? 35 hrs. in labor is alot longer than I labored with my 9 lb. 12 oz. son! Seems like they ought to be able to spit them out with one or two grunts!
Even less than that...they weigh 4 oz!! I don't understand their labor process. But they said she was pretty uncomfortable. Here's a link to the moment of birth for those that are so inclined. The baby is a real squawker and is letting momma know s/he's there. Lun Lun looks a little confused by the baby.

http://www.ajc.com/news/mplayer/m/4828

For all who are eager to see the new mommy and her baby, Zoo Atlanta will have them on their panda cam starting Friday morning 10 am Eastern time. It may be hard to see the cub as he/she is so tiny. Can't wait to watch this new lil sweetie thrive and grow to be a healthy, strong and adorable cub!

http://www.zooatlanta.org/animals_panda_cam.htm

Baby is so small I hope mom does not eat her on accident A panda cannot have a cub this small

While 4 ounces is the standard weight for newborn cubs, there was one born in China a few weeks ago who was only 51 grams, or 2 ounces! Smallest recorded cub weight ever.
The same week the biggest cub ever was also born: 8 ounces, after a 35 hour labour!
No worries on mom eating her baby, as they only eat bamboo. (& fruitsicles).
Is my pandaholism showing? :blushing: :)

Good news.Steve would be a terrific name for the new baby.

We need lots of these critters to keep arriving so that they aree no longer endangered.
Pandas are the bEST!

Kazzbar, between the US and China, there have been record numbers of panda cubs born in captivity and surviving! The real test will be to get the population in the wild's numbers to go up, and stabilize. Deforestation and poaching are the main enemies of the pandas in the wilds of China. The bears in captivitiy are kinda like an "insurance policy", if you will, against the extinction of this beautiful, unique, and wondrous species.
Pandas have been around for millions of years, and I for one don't wanna be in a panda-less world! They bring so much joy and enlightenment to my life.
For nearly a year I have watched the DC and San Diego cams, and seen mama bears Mei Xiang and Bai Yun do incredible jobs raising their respective offspring, Tai Shan and Su Lin.
Who needs Prozac, when you got Panda cams? :D

Yes , I would like to see Panda cam too. It sounds lovely and my kids would be really rapt. We do not have Panda's here in our zoo so I have never seen one close up and personal but would love to. The cubs do not have fur for a while? Is this true? I would not want to live in a world without animals either.

kazzbar said:
Yes , I would like to see Panda cam too. It sounds lovely and my kids would be really rapt. We do not have Panda's here in our zoo so I have never seen one close up and personal but would love to. The cubs do not have fur for a while? Is this true? I would not want to live in a world without animals either.

I am in the Atlanta area and your posts have intrigued me. The cub is so small in relation to the size of the mother panda.I just don't know enough about them. But I will pay more attention now.

kazzbar said:
They are indeed hairless. I suppose they have a bit of white fuzz that covers them, but basically they are hairless, blind and deaf. They are also pink and have a long tail that they grow into. :) You and your children will fall in love with the pandas on panda cam.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back