1157 users online (218 members and 939 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why not JDI?

Simplest solution. John is abusing JB, accidentally kills her, writes the ransom note planning to get rid of the body. He places it where he knows Patsy will find it first. She screws up his plan by insisting on calling the police even though the note says not to. At some point during the morning he realizes there is no way he's ever going to get the body out of there now that the police are involved and decides to "find it".

I know handwriting experts said he didn't write the note but I think that's bunk - look at how many were sure John Karr wrote it.

In this case only one person knows what happened - easiest way to keep a secret. Patsy naturally follows John's advice/lead (and that of his lawyers) on everything to do with the case assuming he knows best
    IMHO

I know handwriting experts said he didn't write the note but I think that's bunk - look at how many were sure John Karr wrote it.

The Karr fiasco, for sure, was not good for handwriting analysis.

Personally, though, I see Patsy as more the type to write that RN and come up with the staging than stoic John.

I don't know anything about handwriting analysis or its veracity. But I firmly believe that if JR had written the note, it would have been a helluva lot shorter.

Otherwise, your JDI scenario does have the benefit of simplicity.

I really believe that John knew nothing about the murder until he found her around 10:00 (like he told his son). What I don't know is why he didn't immediately tell the police. I wonder if he suspected Patsy? Or maybe Burke? But I do not believe Burke had anything to do with the murder.

Patsy wrote the note. It's too close to her style and her handwriting. It's too much of a coincidence that so many of her hallmarks exist in a long, phony ransom note and she was in the house. That's not to say that John may not have thrown out a few ideas while Patsy was writing it, but if John wrote the note I don't doubt he would've kept it short and sweet. Men tend not to be as effusive letter writers and I think John had more real world experience to realize that a ransom note is not a letter and would've known that the more he wrote the more incriminating it was. I think John was doing something else while Patsy wrote the note.

I don't know. There are men who tend to be verbose too. I think it's stereotyping to assume the man was the "smart" one and would be brief and the woman silly/verbose.

I think JDI is the simplest scenario that fits the evidence and the psychology of the crime.

edited to add: It's even possible that as he was trying to disguise himself he subconsciously gravitated toward phrases/writing style that someone close to him had - that he was familiar with.
    IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by luvbeaches
    I really believe that John knew nothing about the murder until he found her around 10:00 (like he told his son). What I don't know is why he didn't immediately tell the police. I wonder if he suspected Patsy? Or maybe Burke? But I do not believe Burke had anything to do with the murder.
    Where does it say he told Burke this?? TIA

I gotta admit it's a "simple and sweet" scenario.

However, two questions:

1. How did Patsy's fibers end up in so much crime specific stuff if she had nothing to do with it?

2. Wasn't it John who said call the police?

This theory would also require Patsy never knew John was missing from bed after they went to bed together on the 25th.

Quote Originally Posted by s_finch
    He told JAR, not Burke....

"Long <Stewart Long, Melinda Ramsey's boyfriend> said that John Ramsey climbed into the van and told them <Melinda, Stewart, and JAR> that JonBenet 'was with Beth now'. The father and son broke down in tears as John Ramsey described how he has discovered the body around eleven o'clock that morning."

page 156, JonBenet Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation, Steve Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by SleuthingSleuth
    I gotta admit it's a "simple and sweet" scenario.

However, two questions:

1. How did Patsy's fibers end up in so much crime specific stuff if she had nothing to do with it?

2. Wasn't it John who said call the police?

This theory would also require Patsy never knew John was missing from bed after they went to bed together on the 25th.
    Do we know JR said call the police? Is there a non-Ramsey source for this?

It's a possible scenario, but as SS says, you've got to account for PR's fibers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrishope
    Do we know JR said call the police? Is there a non-Ramsey source for this?
    Only PR and JR were there - it is not possible for a non-Ramsey source to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by sandraladeda
    Only PR and JR were there - it is not possible for a non-Ramsey source to exist.
    That's exactly what I was getting at - we only have their word for how events played out. Just like we only have their word the suticase wasn't under the window until that night, or JR's claim that things were stacked up in front of the door to the room where IDI folks thing the POE was.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrishope
    That's exactly what I was getting at - we only have their word for how events played out. Just like we only have their word the suticase wasn't under the window until that night, or JR's claim that things were stacked up in front of the door to the room where IDI folks thing the POE was.
    Oh, sorry....blonde moment.....

Quote Originally Posted by s_finch
    He told his older son from his first marriage (sorry, I should have specified which son, but I didn't mean Burke). Sandraladeda found the source. Also, when this came out, there was much discussion that John meant he found the body at one, but telling his son the time in relation to the time zone he was in...or something like that (which I think is a nutty notion).

I think JDI is the simplest scenario that fits the evidence and the psychology of the crime.
    The evidence is that Patsy wrote the note and Patsy's fibers were found in the paint tray and intertwined in the garrote, as well as it being Patsy's art supplies. In terms of psychology the crime fits more with a female closely related to the victim. I don't disregard John in terms of the cover-up and possibly sexual abuse of JonBenet prior to the murder, but based on the evidence this was Patsy's crime, IMO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast