Woman drops off baby under safe-haven law

Shadow205

Reaction score
LAKE PARK — The woman calmly walked to the fire station door, clutching her hours-old baby, three other young children at her side.
<snip>
"I want to give you this baby," said the mother, who looked to be in her 30s.

A fire inspector asked the woman if she was sure. She said yes, placed the baby in DeMario's arms, and walked out with the other children.

As a stunned DeMario gazed at the infant, later dubbed "Baby Doe," he realized she'd been turned over to him under the state's safe-haven law.
<snip>
"Once she gave me the baby, I lost touch with everything else around me," said DeMario, who has a 3-year-old daughter and another daughter about to turn 1. "I couldn't imagine what she was going through that she had to do this."

DeMario and his crew hopped in their fire truck and drove the baby to St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach, where doctors determined she was healthy, but a bit too cold. They placed her under heat lamps as DeMario watched, feeling a bit like a new dad again.

"It didn't feel right just leaving her there, so we stayed."
<snip>
It was better to see a baby here than left in a Dumpster somewhere," said DeMario. "The law worked the way it's supposed to."

more at the link http://www.palmbeachpost.com/pbcnorth/content/local_news/epaper/2006/09/09/s3b_baby_0909.html

God bless this mother for making this decision. All states should have this law and it needs to be advertised more. Maybe then we would quit reading about babies found in dumpsters.

Bless her. I can't imagine how she felt, but I'm so proud of her for doing what was right! My heart goes out to her. It's wonderful to read about someone who is actually a real mother doing what is best. And yes, I consider her a mother. As such dont we have to make some hard choices sometimes? What could be harder and more wonderful at the same time?

That's so sweet of the firemen to stay with her. I wonder what will become of the baby, who will adopt her?

I applaud the mother's most likely heart-breaking decision. Since she couldn't take care of her, regardless of the reason, she did the right thing.

So pleased to hear of this. I hope they report these everytime, so that these woman can see it works just the way they say it will. Bless her.

JBean said:
So pleased to hear of this. I hope they report these everytime, so that these woman can see it works just the way they say it will. Bless her.

Yes, the media needs to latch onto this story so that it becomes "the thing to do", rather than leaving your little baby in the toilet!!! God bless this mother, somebody will adopt that baby and love him or her as their own and be so very grateful for the blessing of a child!!

Juliana said:
Yes, the media needs to latch onto this story so that it becomes "the thing to do", rather than leaving your little baby in the toilet!!! God bless this mother, somebody will adopt that baby and love him or her as their own and be so very grateful for the blessing of a child!!
I'm sure people are lining up to adopt this baby already!

This child has someone's love waiting to be there. The mother made a right choice and I am sure an extremely painful one. We need to send her good thoughts for healing.

The baby has a chance at a good life now and the mom will be rewarded for this hardship.

Bless DeMario's sweet heart "It didn't feel right just leaving her there, so we stayed."

and especially bless mother's sweet heart. she was so strong for her baby.

despite what many judgmental people (and there will be some) may think, this mother loved her baby very much.

Floh said:
despite what many judgmental people (and there will be some) may think, this mother loved her baby very much.
Yes, this! :)

Several weeks ago in our area, a baby was left in a basket at a Head Start building, obviously where it would be found (beside a school bus door, between the bus and the building's entrance). Of course the media was all over the story, and one idiot who was interviewed said that the mother deserved the death penalty for abandoning her baby!:eek: I guess he hasn't heard the many reports of babies being left in toilets/dumpsters/woods to die. Fortunately (because I'm sure the mother watches the news), other people interviewed expressed thankfulness that the baby was left where it would be safe, and found, even though it wasn't left at a "designated" baby-surrender place.

It's so wonderful to read about somebody doing something right, as we read about so many doing wrong and terrible things. God bless this woman and all of her children. She did the right thing for this one.

Makes me feel happy and sad at the same time. Bless that mom's heart. She already had three little ones and probably knew she couldn't take care of another one. That doesn't mean that it didn't hurt her to give her baby up though. It was probably the hardest thing she has ever done up to that point. God bless her for taking the baby and placing her in the arms of a fireman. I hope that the Lord blesses that mom's life and the lives of her other children. She's probably had a hard life. I know that this little girl will go to a couple that have been waiting for her for a long time.

I'm glad that the baby was brought somewhere so she could find a home and be cared for. A family somewhere is waiting for her I'm sure!
IMO dropping a baby off like this should be talked about more in the media, there are probably young girls who don't even know this exists. Something like MTV should do a show on it.

OB

Lisahas2cats said:
Yes, this! :)

Several weeks ago in our area, a baby was left in a basket at a Head Start building, obviously where it would be found (beside a school bus door, between the bus and the building's entrance). Of course the media was all over the story, and one idiot who was interviewed said that the mother deserved the death penalty for abandoning her baby!:eek: I guess he hasn't heard the many reports of babies being left in toilets/dumpsters/woods to die. Fortunately (because I'm sure the mother watches the news), other people interviewed expressed thankfulness that the baby was left where it would be safe, and found, even though it wasn't left at a "designated" baby-surrender place.

OK, we have free speech, but this idiot needs to be shut the he!! up!

I hope whichever outlet aired this showed a ton of other people speaking out in the mother's defense.

The media absolutely needs to be allover these 'safe haven' happenings.

I am so glad this mom did this! I wish more mothers would do the same. That baby is very lucky. I pray the mother knows how much people applaude her for doing that, I am sure it was the hardest thing she ever had to do.:clap:

michelle said:
I am so glad this mom did this! I wish more mothers would do the same. That baby is very lucky. I pray the mother knows how much people applaude her for doing that, I am sure it was the hardest thing she ever had to do.:clap:
Absolutely. THis Mother did such a selfless thing. Now this baby has a chance. And I hope this Mother knows what a gift she gave this baby and some loving family. I hope hope hope she and her other kids will fall upon some really good luck and have a good life.

This story broguth tears to my eyes. She must be a strong woman to do something like that, just to give her baby a better life. Even if it was an unwanted pregnancy I'm sure she loved the baby and it was a hard thing to do.

2sisters said:
This story broguth tears to my eyes. She must be a strong woman to do something like that, just to give her baby a better life. Even if it was an unwanted pregnancy I'm sure she loved the baby and it was a hard thing to do.
ITA! Couldnt have said it better myself.

I am so glad to hear a story about this law actually working!

My heart breaks for that poor mom. That must have been one of the scariest and most difficult moments of her life, but she did it. Some family who longs for a child will be so blessed. I hope they always tell their child how brave her birth mother was and how much she must have loved her to be sure she was safe.

I pray that God watches over her and her other three little ones, and gives her peace in her heart knowing she did the right thing.

Floh said:
Bless DeMario's sweet heart "It didn't feel right just leaving her there, so we stayed."

and especially bless mother's sweet heart. she was so strong for her baby.

Yep, I agree 100%, if she didn't love that baby she'd have proabably tossed it in a trash can somewhere. She wanted better than she could provide. A selfless act, IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie
Back