Identified! TX - Burnet County, body in barrel, Lake Buchanan, Sept'06 - Charles Wyatt, 62

Sundayrain

Life's a dance, you learn as you go*
Reaction score
Remains were found in a barrel by someone in a watercraft. The barrel was found in Lake Buchanan near Burnet which is 30 miles west of Georgetown, TX where the Cooke family lives. Rachael Cooke went missing on Jan. 10, 2002,while out jogging.
Right now there is no age, race, or gender established.
The location is North West of Austin. It may takes months to determine who the remains belong too. The barrel was found because the lake was lower then it usually is. It was partially filled with cement.
I hope we can send prayers to the Cooke family who would be on pins and needles right now, waiting for answers. There are others missing in Texas....the answers won't come along as fast as we would all like.
Prayers and thoughts for all the missing of Texas.

http://www.Kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=5379437

We will never Forget

Friday, September 08, 2006

BURNET COUNTY — The 55-gallon metal drum had washed up against a rocky cliff near a picnic area and a volunteer fire station, rusted and cracked from being submerged in Lake Buchanan.

Someone on a personal watercraft took a closer look Tuesday, saw what appeared to be human remains spilling from the concrete-filled barrel and called 911, a sheriff's investigator said.

link with pictures...the investigator also said from the bones it appears the remains are those of an adult.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/09/08/8body.html

use login: dwan8@dodgeit.com password: dwandwan (from bugmenot.com)

this dosen't look good.

my prayers are with the Cooke family. Of course, it is always nice to hold out hope that Rachel is still alive, but it would certainly bring closure to the family if it were her.

Prayers for whomevers family this person belongs to - someone isn't going to get good news shortly in this case....

I am not good with images on Google is a map showing its location in regards to Georgetown Also a close up is on.............. http://www.highlandlakes.com/lakebuchanan
Apparently the story was kept quite quiet according to other postings........no one knows who this is ......but, whoever did this is very, sick. I pray there is a clue......

Oh no!
I don't think it's Rachel, though. In fact, I'm sure it's not.

Well, that's a lot of trouble to go to to hide a body. And an extra risk--not dumping it immediately. Like the killer was someone close, who would benefit from the body not being found. I think Rachel's was a crime of opportunity.

T-Rex said:
Well, that's a lot of trouble to go to to hide a body. And an extra risk--not dumping it immediately. Like the killer was someone close, who would benefit from the body not being found. I think Rachel's was a crime of opportunity.

Well, someone took the trouble obviously, whoever hid this body. I feel it could be Rachel and my thoughts and prayers are with the Cooke family.

One thing that we do know for sure is that the body belongs to some family that has probably been waiting day and night for word of their loved one. The body could probably even belong to a teenager if they are going by length of bones. A lot of teenagers are fully grown by 16 or 17 yrs.

I hope it is Rachel so that he parents can finally know where she is and can bring her home. It's rare that an abductor keeps a teenager or adult for years unless the person was a child when they were taken. It's been to long for Rachel even though it would be wonderful if she were still alive. I can't imagine what it has been like to be in her parent's shoes but this family need some peace and answers to their daughter's where abouts.

Bits and pieces from a KeyeTV broadcast. Apparently the lake was very low in 2000, lower the it was now, and nothing was seen at that time.
Kim Miller, the reporter for KeyTV stated that there was "still hair on the body." This being the case, DNA should be easy to come up with.
They will be checking on the age of the barrel along with the victims age. Kim stated that " it looked like the camera caught the sight of a part of the sole of a shoe,
and part of a wallet" The police would not comment.
It seems with all of this information that there definately should be answers coming.
I hadn't even thought of "age of barrel" but.......that is a great tool in figuring age and time. The wallet being another good find........
I am thinking that, at least answers will come.
Still stating it could be several weeks.

There are three people in the areas data base down as missing.
One is GC Cummings missing since 2003 from San Saba....only his car and clothes were found, West of Austin.
Another is Shirley Cowan 60 ...since Jan. 2001. She had been building a home in Kingsland. Evidence found in that home........
The third is Rachel Cooke, 19, who went missing while jogging near her home in January 2002,

http://www.Kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=5392968

So there is at least three families who wait and wonder......
Prayers their way.

When replaying and pausing at appropriate points in the video found at http://keyetv.com/local/local_story_250155630.html, would anyone care to speculate on whether the body is that of a woman or a man? When the video shows a diver pulling the sole of a shoe from the water, the size of the sole of the shoe looks too big to be a woman's... But, then I look again and think, well, now I'm not so sure...

The waiting must be so agonizing and awful.

God bless Rachel's family and friends, and the other families wanting to know what happened to their missing loved one.

I think the shoe could be a man or woman. If it was a woman's shoe it looks to be a full toed shoe, maybe winter shoe. The second thing could have been a wallet or cell phone, IMO. It also looked to be a third thing, unless it was a different angle of the shoe. It looked to me like broken frames of sunglasses.

It does look very narrow. My heart jumps every time I see new posts in this thread.

Rachel was wearing jogging shoes when she disappeared and to me that doesn't look like a jogging shoe. Does anyone else think this?

EdinburghLass said:
It does look very narrow. My heart jumps every time I see new posts in this thread.

Rachel was wearing jogging shoes when she disappeared and to me that doesn't look like a jogging shoe. Does anyone else think this?
Oh your right......I didn't even think about that. It really looks like a regular shoe to me. There was no sneaker look to that sole at all.
Gosh, that gives me some hope. Thanks for bringing that up.

That would be good if they would at least announce if it is a male or female.
I would think they would have an indication by the length of the hair too.
Why will it take so long if there is a whole body and the teeth are there? I wouldn't think it would take to long to match dental records and then follow up with DNA. But dental records are accurate aren't they?

Bobbisangel said:
That would be good if they would at least announce if it is a male or female.
I would think they would have an indication by the length of the hair too.
Why will it take so long if there is a whole body and the teeth are there? I wouldn't think it would take to long to match dental records and then follow up with DNA. But dental records are accurate aren't they?
You know Bobbi, how that goes. The LE not releasing anything until they have the total picture. I am sure they pretty much know. Just by the clothing that was left there, even. Plus...teeth etc. The DNA should be pretty much done......
It always has to be so complete. Being there is three people in that area missing....it means triple the worry. I hope answers come soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back