1438 users online (306 members and 1132 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Should this little boy be deported??

I dont really understand this, he came over here and was under a protective temporary status. He goes to school, plays soccer and has made friends ect. So why didnt the mother try to get him permanent status? I am not too familiar with how all this works but I would hate to see this little boy be deported with nobody to go back with, cant his mom go with him? http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...00010000000001

Basically, the legal resident adult in this situation did not go thru proper and legal channels to make sure her child could stay with her.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    I dont really understand this, he came over here and was under a protective temporary status. He goes to school, plays soccer and has made friends ect. So why didnt the mother try to get him permanent status? I am not too familiar with how all this works but I would hate to see this little boy be deported with nobody to go back with, cant his mom go with him? http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a...00010000000001
    He didn't have protective status, only his mother did. She should have worked to get that status for him or be prepared to return home with him. I don't see any reason she can not go with him and if she cares, she will.

There are free legal services for situations like this in most states. She needs to go talk with someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah,me
    Basically, the legal resident adult in this situation did not go thru proper and legal channels to make sure her child could stay with her.
    No..that's not what happened. The mother is not eligible to file for him under her current status. There is NOTHING that she could have done to help him. It's just one of the many glitches in the immigration law.

Luckily this case received media attention, so someone may step in. Meanwhile there are hundreds of other children deported every month without their parents......

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb
    He didn't have protective status, only his mother did. She should have worked to get that status for him or be prepared to return home with him. I don't see any reason she can not go with him and if she cares, she will.

There are free legal services for situations like this in most states. She needs to go talk with someone.
    It is all around sad, if he is deported she needs to go with him. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb

Free legal service can't help her.

Situations like this have nothing to do with caring. Either she stays here and works to give him the opportunity to eat and go to school, or she goes home and starves with him.

It is all around sad, if he is deported she needs to go with him. IMO
    Stastically speaking she will stay. It is so hard for us to understand leaving our children, but for people in these circumstances, being here is the ONLY way that they can help their children. It is sad, someone needs to review the immigration laws so that this don't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah
    No..that's not what happened. The mother is not eligible to file for him under her current status. There is NOTHING that she could have done to help him. It's just one of the many glitches in the immigration law.

Luckily this case received media attention, so someone may step in. Meanwhile there are hundreds of other children deported every month without their parents......
    That is so sad. What does someone have to do to come here and live? I mean I just dont get how parents and the kids are seperated like that. I would NEVER leave my child.

In the 4 years he's lived here, why did they not apply for citizenship status? I realize he can't be a legal resident under the same "temporary protective status", so why not some other method of becoming legal? Am I missing something here or am I just not educated enough on how immigrants become citizens?

Free legal service can't help her.

Situations like this have nothing to do with caring. Either she stays here and works to give him the opportunity to eat and go to school, or she goes home and starves with him.
    If it were my child, I would go home and starve with him. I could not let him go back to suffer alone. I would rather be hungry than afraid. Poor child.

That is so sad. What does someone have to do to come here and live? I mean I just dont get how parents and the kids are seperated like that. I would NEVER leave my child.
    The rules for coming here....depend on where you're coming from. It this case, the mother was able to come because of a natural disaster. A lucky break.

It is very common for immigrants to leave children. They have no choice.

In most cases it takes about 2 years to get approved for a visa. So, someone files for the parents, and 3 years later the parent's can file for the kids, and then they get approved after a 2 year wait. In some cases it's shorter, some longer.

My husband has 4 kids in college. They finally got approved and will be here by the end of this year. It has taken five years. 2 of them have kids 3,2, and 1. They will be staying with relatives for at least five years. There is no other choice.

When you are living in poverty, it really isn't a choice, you just do what you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah,me
    In the 4 years he's lived here, why did they not apply for citizenship status? I realize he can't be a legal resident under the same "temporary protective status", so why not some other method of becoming legal? Am I missing something here or am I just not educated enough on how immigrants become citizens?

Ummm.....you're not educated.

Seriously, the laws really stink.

Quote Originally Posted by deandaniellws
    If it were my child, I would go home and starve with him. I could not let him go back to suffer alone. I would rather be hungry than afraid. Poor child.
    That is such a simple statement for we, as Americans, to make.

It really isn't that simple.

The rules for coming here....depend on where you're coming from. It this case, the mother was able to come because of a natural disaster. A lucky break.

It is very common for immigrants to leave children. They have no choice.

In most cases it takes about 2 years to get approved for a visa. So, someone files for the parents, and 3 years later the parent's can file for the kids, and then they get approved after a 2 year wait. In some cases it's shorter, some longer.

My husband has 4 kids in college. They finally got approved and will be here by the end of this year. It has taken five years. 2 of them have kids 3,2, and 1. They will be staying with relatives for at least five years. There is no other choice.

When you are living in poverty, it really isn't a choice, you just do what you have to do.
    Thanks Cheetah, I am not educated in this..

Thanks Cheetah, I am not educated in this..

Lol, well I'm trying! Can you tell I'm passionate about this?? I hate these laws. I don't want terrorists, but I don't want kids seperated from parents either. It stinks

Actually, these laws were in place long before 9/11 or the threat of terrorism.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast