UNSOLVED SC - Georgetown, LIVING WhtMale, ~20, possibly 'John Hasting', Sep'06

lymom3

Reaction score
If this is the wrong area, feel free to move it, but how sad and scary. I didn't see it anywhere else...

John Hasting, if that really is his name, can't remember anything about his life before early August.
He's pretty sure his name is John Hasting, and he thinks he's 20 years old.
He's been staying at Crisis Ministries' shelter on Meeting Street in Charleston since Aug. 15.
Jeff Yungman, the shelter's clinical director, said Charlie Ball, the director of Friendship Place in Georgetown, brought Hasting to the shelter hoping he'd have access to more services.
Friendship Place, at the St. Cyprian Outreach Center, is a Georgetown program that helps the area's homeless residents. Hasting stayed at Friendship Place from Aug. 8 until he was brought to Charleston, Yungman said.
Hasting is white and about 5 feet 11 inches tall. He has light brown hair and blue eyes. He has a hearing problem and a speech impediment.
He also has a scar, possibly from surgery, on the underside of his upper left arm.
Hasting said he vaguely remembers feeling ill one day in early August. He sat down on a Georgetown sidewalk and thinks he fell asleep. When he woke up, he said, it was dark. He got up and started walking around town.
"It was kind of like I had no emotions," Hasting said.
He had no wallet, no identification and just $3 in his pocket.
Eventually, he said, he walked into the Georgetown Ice House gas station and convenience store.
“He came in the store early on a Sunday morning, Aug. 6,” Ginger Haley said. She works at the Ice House and Georgetown One Hour Photo. “He didn’t say anything. He just was in here.”
Hasting was wearing shorts and a pair of worn tennis or athletic shoes. He was not wearing a shirt.
Haley spoke with him, offering to help. When he asked if she had any jobs, she said no.

More at link:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17167758&BRD=2081&PAG=461&dept_id=385210&rfi=6

Why don't they put pictures with this? How frustrating!

I am emailing the person who wrote the story...absolutley ridiculous there is no picture(s) with this story!!!!!

I can't understand the police not helping him, a detective or someone that can search the databases of the missing. Who knows who this guy is and how long he has been missing. I found several potential matches up to the scar, none mentiont he scar...do they always?? How bout the speech impediment and the hearing prob.....for those of you who are into the searching so much the missing, are these things that would surely be on searches, what do you use to 'for sure' rule a potential match in or out?

Christine I am with you. My first thought was were is his picture? I would think it would be vital to get it out.

christine2448 said:
I am emailing the person who wrote the story...absolutley ridiculous there is no picture(s) with this story!!!!!

sleuthin4fun said:
Christine I am with you. My first thought was were is his picture? I would think it would be vital to get it out.
No response yet from email, there were 2 reporters listed so I just emailed the second one asking for picture and update...we will see.

That was my thought in posting here too. I don't know if he didn't want pictures posted. It certainly didn't say that in the story but it is sure hard to be of much help at all without a face. I am not geographically anywhere near that area and thought that maybe some of you closer could pick up the torch. Certainly there is a relative somewhere, distant or otherwise, maybe a former neighbor, someone who would recognize this poor kid.

lymom3 said:
That was my thought in posting here too. I don't know if he didn't want pictures posted. It certainly didn't say that in the story but it is sure hard to be of much help at all without a face. I am not geographically anywhere near that area and thought that maybe some of you closer could pick up the torch. Certainly there is a relative somewhere, distant or otherwise, maybe a former neighbor, someone who would recognize this poor kid.
I ran his stats and couldn't find an pop out at ya match, a few possibles, but as posted earlier I would think that they scar and speech impediment stuff would be on the missing sites, I'm not sure?

christine2448 said:
No response yet from email, there were 2 reporters listed so I just emailed the second one asking for picture and update...we will see.
Apparantly they musta figured out this mystery because neither reporter emailed me back with any info. :(

christine2448 said:
Apparantly they musta figured out this mystery because neither reporter emailed me back with any info. :(

It seems like they could at least run his fingerprints through to see if there is a match in the system.

lymom3 said:
Or a follow up story or something

That would be nice....they just leave us hanging.

I have no idea if this case was solved or not. I'm trying to clean up old threads. Here's a link to a pdf file with a picture: http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...0lJAAAAIBAJ&sjid=4QkNAAAAIBAJ&pg=5316,2824688

attachment.php

Attachments

• John Hastings Article.jpg
    John Hastings Article.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 93
Bump.

Does anyone know anymore about this case? Can't seem to find any other info on the web.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back