FL FL - Tammy Grogan, 37, Miami, 10 Sept 2006 - Missing from Cruise Ship

poco

Reaction score
Ohio Woman Disappears From Cruise Ship

MIAMI (Sept. 11) - Authorities are investigating the disappearance of an Ohio woman who was reported missing Monday from a Carnival Cruise Lines ship........

The International Council of Cruise Lines, an industry lobbying group, reported earlier this year that a review of data from 15 lines showed 24 reports of missing people between 2003 to 2005. :eek:

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_...p/20060911132109990003?ncid=NWS00010000000001

I read this earlier and it is so sad. It seems like it is happening more and more.

AGAIN????

Geez---Maybe they should gather all the passenger manifests from each cruise where someone went missing and compare them to see if anyones name pops up on each one....

Why don't they do something with the rails on those ship that would make it impossible for anyone to fall over the side of them? I just find it impossible to believe that so many people "fall" over the sides of these ships. Maybe that is the way someone commits murder instead of using a gun, knife, or other types of objects. I think they should check the crews on these ships and see if they can find one person who was one the ships of the missing. I would imagine that it is possible for a crew member to switch ships when the ships all belong to the same cruise line...or most of them anyway. I don't think that all of these people "fell" or "jumped" off these ships.

If the cruise line cared anything about their passengers they would do something with the rails. It probably wouldn't even be that big of a deal to make them higher. Course the cruise lines are all about MONEY.

OH Yakwoman!!!!! :p

Yakwoman said:
Okay - I'm going on a cruise in December. I just want all of you to know that if I go missing, you need to look for a person with a really bad back injury because they'd have a hell of a time throwing my fat carcass over the railing!

Yakwoman

Yakwoman said:
Okay - I'm going on a cruise in December. I just want all of you to know that if I go missing, you need to look for a person with a really bad back injury because they'd have a hell of a time throwing my fat carcass over the railing!

Yakwoman
Not that I am going cruising but I'd be safe as they'd needa a crane to get me up and over! But jokes aside cruising does seem a bit scary. maybe it is the combination of alcohol and the danger of the open sea.
It depends on the cruise but here they seem very popular with singles.
We had a nasty case a few years ago where a woman was date raped by a group of men and then found dead in their cabin. It is still under investigation and enquiry but nobody has been charged.Those men treated the lady really badly.
Then again hundred of cruises go across the ocean every year and most people have a great time. When you think how many people enjoy cruising and do it a lot it is safe.

kazzbar said:
Not that I am going cruising but I'd be safe as they'd needa a crane to get me up and over! But jokes aside cruising does seem a bit scary. maybe it is the combination of alcohol and the danger of the open sea.
It depends on the cruise but here they seem very popular with singles.
We had a nasty case a few years ago where a woman was date raped by a group of men and then found dead in their cabin. It is still under investigation and enquiry but nobody has been charged.Those men treated the lady really badly.
Then again hundred of cruises go across the ocean every year and most people have a great time. When you think how many people enjoy cruising and do it a lot it is safe.

I love going on cruises. I always approach them the same way I approach my everyday life - there are good people and bad people everywhere, so you have to be cautious at all times and use good common sense.

I've never been on a cruise before & definately don't plan on going on one. Now that some physcho is either throwing people over the edge or the cruise line decides to hold someone accountable for all the missing people. :slap: JMOIMHO this is just not right!

I can't believe this....I just left the office that this women worked in. They are all in shock and awe. She was a great person really friendly and outgoing. She has a 13 year old son who was with her and her parents on the ship. . Her dad was the one who call in to the office this morning and told them what had happen.(she was supposed to be back at work today) I asked them do you think she would have jumped? They all said NO her son was her life.She was a single mom. My heart goes out to this family. They haven't released her name yet and I don't know why? Please pray for her son, she was his only parent.

Bobbisangel said:
Why don't they do something with the rails on those ship that would make it impossible for anyone to fall over the side of them? I just find it impossible to believe that so many people "fall" over the sides of these ships. Maybe that is the way someone commits murder instead of using a gun, knife, or other types of objects. I think they should check the crews on these ships and see if they can find one person who was one the ships of the missing. I would imagine that it is possible for a crew member to switch ships when the ships all belong to the same cruise line...or most of them anyway. I don't think that all of these people "fell" or "jumped" off these ships.

If the cruise line cared anything about their passengers they would do something with the rails. It probably wouldn't even be that big of a deal to make them higher. Course the cruise lines are all about MONEY.
I also find it coincidental that most of these people go over the railing sometime late at night - never during the day when there are witnesses.

fundiva said:
I also find it coincidental that most of these people go over the railing sometime late at night - never during the day when there are witnesses.

I agree. But, cruise ships stop at several different ports, so there is also the possibility that some of these missing people have disappeared voluntarily in another country. Maybe not in the most recent case, but I bet it has happened.

It is possible that she left the ship but I think it's not easy to do. My experience with cruise ships is that they track you when you leave the ship and come back on. You have a card that you swipe at the door going out and in and you can't easily avoid it due to security. My husband and some of his friends were still at a pub in Juneau Alaska 10 minutes before the ship was supposed to depart and the ship security called our cabin and asked me where he was. They were aware of exactly who was not on board. Of course he got an earful from me when he showed up about 8 minutes later!

Maybe they should make it mandatory to wear a life jacket :confused: at all times on all cruise ships?????

I think they need cameras on the decks and on the sides of the ship. I'm sure they can't film cabin balconys but at least they could film activity in public areas where there is a railing.

I just spoke with a good friend. Her daughter and son-in-law were also on that ship. She had called me the other day and asked if I heard about the earth quake...told me then that the ship was in that very area at that time. She told me today that they did not even feel it. She also said that before they docked they were paging a woman, over and over. Believe she said Tammy. Then after they docked and were taken to airport in Miami, they boarded plane and sat for 2 hours before taking off. Supposed to land I think in Houston, but ended up circleing Austin for several HOURS! Finally landed and then boarded another plane for Dallas, then onto Tulsa. Son in law is a smoker and was not allowed to smoke anywhere. Think they boarded in Miami around noon. Got to Tulsa at 12:30am. Friend believes FBI was checking everyone on board, making sure who was who and where.

Sabego

mattsmom said:
I think they need cameras on the decks and on the sides of the ship. I'm sure they can't film cabin balconys but at least they could film activity in public areas where there is a railing.
I agree 100%!

I've never been on a cruise ship, but aren't people kind of walking around all night? Or does it get quiet? I find it weird that no one on that whole ship ever sees a thing.

I hope they find this woman safe. I'll send some prayers that way.

Some people stay up all night in the clubs or bars inside. But most people are so tired from all the fun and excitement of the day that they go to bed early. I am usually a party animal and on my first cruise i was in bed by 11pm every night! One night I managed to stay up till 1am for a comedy show, and there was not a soul on the deck of the ship....really spooky, especially when you're not close to a port and it's pitch black and silent outside...

jodierenee said:
Some people stay up all night in the clubs or bars inside. But most people are so tired from all the fun and excitement of the day that they go to bed early. I am usually a party animal and on my first cruise i was in bed by 11pm every night! One night I managed to stay up till 1am for a comedy show, and there was not a soul on the deck of the ship....really spooky, especially when you're not close to a port and it's pitch black and silent outside...

Gosh, that is a creepy thought. I believe it...everybody is either inside or asleep.

Me, I am claustrophobic and I hate losing the sight of land from a boat. So you will not find me on a cruise! But Mr. Texana's family goes all the time.

I love the ocean, but only from the shoreline.

Who knows what happens late at night...what a terrifying thought to think of being alone in the ocean and watching the boat light disappear, if a person is conscious.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back