Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Semen Stains on JBR's Bed and Carpet

Hey everyone,

I recently re-read Steve Thomas's book, JonBenet: Inside the Ramsey Murder Investigation, and something stood out to me. On page, 48, Thomas writes:

"...(The police) were also looking for traces of semen, and in the victim's bedroom, ultraviolet light showed stains on the bed and surrounding carpet. The mattress was wrapped in plastic."

Am I reading this correctly? It seems to indicate that there were semen stains on JBR's bed and carpet and that is not information I have ever heard before. It was not followed up in the book.

Did the ultraviolet light pick up stains that were not semen - but urine? I'm just confused and I feel like I must be reading this incorrectly - surely semen stains on JBR's bed and carpet would be a noteworthy piece of evidence, even though I understand that others often used her bed.

Does anybody have any other information regarding this?

Page Number Handy? Paperback?

I remember reading about JAR's semen being found on his blanket in the suitcase in the basement, but not anything about JonBenet's bed, will look again. I just took my books down from the shelf since someone gave pg numbers in PMPT about Camper's boatman. I must have read it but don't remember, same as this about JBR's mattress. On her carpet too? I just noticed that looking at the index page and thought I'd edit it into this. I don't remember reading all that in ST at all.

We knew all along that the informant wasn't always reliable, but that isn't the point. Just having someone, even an inventive informant, making up stuff so far from Boulder, in the area where Jimmy Hoffa disappeared, to me is rather interesting, unusual for guys. And if the story at the pro-Ramsey forum is true that a loiterer at Charlevoix hung around the gas station badmouthing JR before the murder, who could have been the same one that housekeepers said slept in JonBenet's bed, he may have been a person of interest. Goes to show some ill will things were going on, widespread, besides the parents. A college art student also had to be ordered to take his picture of JonBenet down. And there could be so many more things like that we'll never know. As in most murder investigations, we probably didn't even get 10% and don't remember most of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle1
    ...And there could be so many more things like that we'll never know. As in most murder investigations, we probably didn't even get 10% and don't remember most of that.
    You are so right about this.

I too remember reading about JAR's semen on a blanket. This was just the first time I recall reading something that indicated semen might have been in her bedroom.

There has been more alleged culpatory evidence gathered here, and elsewhere, against the Ramseys, than on any other crime in the known Universe. With all of this alleged culpatory evidence, the Ramseys could have been convicted on each, and every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. It rapidly got to the point where there isn't any way to tell, what's true, and what isn't.

That's why there is a 'Seperating fact from Fiction' thread, page 1.

I've never heard of the semen stains in JBR's room, besides that sentence in Thomas's book either.

Quote Originally Posted by narlacat
    That's why there is a 'Seperating fact from Fiction' thread, page 1.

I've never heard of the semen stains in JBR's room, besides that sentence in Thomas's book either.
    Obviously the alleged semen stains didn't pan out or I suspect we would have heard more about. I've never heard another reference to it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    There has been more alleged culpatory evidence gathered here, and elsewhere, against the Ramseys, than on any other crime in the known Universe. With all of this alleged culpatory evidence, the Ramseys could have been convicted on each, and every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. It rapidly got to the point where there isn't any way to tell, what's true, and what isn't.
    Right on Buzz.

Anyone Know a Page Number? Approximate?

Narlacat, you did read it? Know what page?

I don't remember seeing this in ST or any book but know I could very well be wrong.

One of JAR's friends said he'd slept in JBR's bed, probably meaning the other twin bed, because JAR's room must not have had twin beds, and the house was old, probably had a male in that room before the R's bought it, but the semen was identified as definitely JAR's? Not fresh enough to have been a perp's?

I do not believe that there were any semen stains found other than on JAR's blanket in the suitcase in the basement. I don't think that's a particularly unusual find either.

Of course there is DNA-x which we don't know much about. It was a DNA sample found later (if my memory serves me correct, it was 2001/2002 time). All we know about DNA-x is the following:-

1. It wasn't found on her body or her clothes
    2. It didn't match Chris Wolf
    3. John and Patsy's DNA was compared to it

We do not know:-

1. The medium (i.e. saliva/blood/skin)
    2. Whether anyone matched it
    3. For sure if it is connected to the crime.
    This is only my opinion

Let the focus be on Madeleine

Together we can make a difference

Alert Viewer in Scotland

Member of Websleuths since April 2000

"With all of this alleged culpatory evidence, the Ramseys could have been convicted on each, and every day of the week, and twice on Sunday."

Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Vae Victus! (May the conquered suffer!)
    Celerem vindictam manu! (Swift hand of vengeance!)

>"...(The police) were also looking for traces of semen, and in the victim's bedroom, ultraviolet light showed stains on the bed and surrounding carpet. The mattress was wrapped in plastic."

Am I reading this correctly? It seems to indicate that there were semen stains on JBR's bed and carpet and that is not information <

Ultraviolet light will show stains other than semen. Urine and vomit I believe too. So it would not be a surprise to me to find stains show up under ultraviolet light in a child's bedroom especially a bedwetter. The ultraviolet light is only a tool to point to areas where further investigation is needed. It is not a determiner of what the stain is. This would require lab testing. So the fact that stains showed up in her room does not automatically point to them being anything in particular. You would have to read the lab results of any tests done on those spots to find out what they were.

I've used one of these types of lights to find urine stains from a puppy on my carpeting and they show lots of spots that weren't urine. Saliva, places she had vomited etc.

The fact that a mattress was wrapped in plastic isn't unusual in a child's room either. I had those on all my kids matresses. It's almost impossible to get pee or vomit out of one of those if they aren't covered with something waterproof.
    Sherlockmom

You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to get to in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlockmom
    >"...(The police) were also looking for traces of semen, and in the victim's bedroom, ultraviolet light showed stains on the bed and surrounding carpet. The mattress was wrapped in plastic."

Am I reading this correctly? It seems to indicate that there were semen stains on JBR's bed and carpet and that is not information <

Ultraviolet light will show stains other than semen. Urine and vomit I believe too. So it would not be a surprise to me to find stains show up under ultraviolet light in a child's bedroom especially a bedwetter. The ultraviolet light is only a tool to point to areas where further investigation is needed. It is not a determiner of what the stain is. This would require lab testing. So the fact that stains showed up in her room does not automatically point to them being anything in particular. You would have to read the lab results of any tests done on those spots to find out what they were.

I've used one of these types of lights to find urine stains from a puppy on my carpeting and they show lots of spots that weren't urine. Saliva, places she had vomited etc.

The fact that a mattress was wrapped in plastic isn't unusual in a child's room either. I had those on all my kids matresses. It's almost impossible to get pee or vomit out of one of those if they aren't covered with something waterproof.
    Thanks Sherlock, Mom. That sentence now makes more sense to me. I am sure urine was found on her mattress.

Speaking of finding JAR's suitcase and it's contents...did LE ever question JAR about the suitcase, duvet and Dr. Seuss book?
    ...We have said to ourselves, look, there is never going to be a victory in this, there is no victory...John Ramsey: 6/24/98

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzm1
    IMO, they reaped what they sowed.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMer
    IMO, they reaped what they sowed.

Who, the Ramseys or LE/DA's office?

Eve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast