791 users online (137 members and 654 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Joseph Devlin Faces Charges In 1970s Sexual Assault, 2006

CLEARWATER - A 76-year-old man was arrested Tuesday, accused of sexually assaulting an 11-year-old boy 29 years ago, Clearwater police said.

Joseph Aristide Devlin, of 1353 Lotus Path, faces one count of capital sexual battery. He was being held without bond Wednesday at the Pinellas County Jail.

The victim, who is now a man, contacted Clearwater police on the advice of a counselor, said Clearwater police spokesman Wayne Shelor. The man knew his assailant, but the rape had never before been reported to Clearwater police, Shelor said.
    http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/ne...old_rape_case/

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief
    CLEARWATER - A 76-year-old man was arrested Tuesday, accused of sexually assaulting an 11-year-old boy 29 years ago, Clearwater police said.

Joseph Aristide Devlin, of 1353 Lotus Path, faces one count of capital sexual battery. He was being held without bond Wednesday at the Pinellas County Jail.

The victim, who is now a man, contacted Clearwater police on the advice of a counselor, said Clearwater police spokesman Wayne Shelor. The man knew his assailant, but the rape had never before been reported to Clearwater police, Shelor said.
    http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/ne...old_rape_case/
    I applaud this grown man's bravery. How wonderful that he was able to honor the child in him who was molested. It's terrific that they arrested the offender.

I agree. Bravo to him. The perp probably thought he smooth got away with it.

But I thought there was a statute of limitations on molestation/sexual assault? Guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by julianne
    I agree. Bravo to him. The perp probably thought he smooth got away with it.

But I thought there was a statute of limitations on molestation/sexual assault? Guess not.
    I thought abou the SOL also...but I don't know much about it in these types of situations. Maybe brighter legal minds than mine will stop by with some comments.

Marie is offline Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    I thought abou the SOL also...but I don't know much about it in these types of situations. Maybe brighter legal minds than mine will stop by with some comments.
    It's probably different for each state. Plus it can be different depending on how many years since the victim became an adult (like it must be reported X number of years after reaching age 18).

Quote Originally Posted by Marie
    It's probably different for each state. Plus it can be different depending on how many years since the victim became an adult (like it must be reported X number of years after reaching age 18).
    Here's a link with state by state info.