Could Burke Have Written the Ransom Note?

calicocat

Reaction score
John Ramsey had remarked during an interview that he thought the ransom note sounded childish, which made me think of Burke. I was trying to figure out where "foreign faction" may have come from and I wondered if there was a video game out with those words in it. If Burke is anything like my boys, they play the same games and watch the same movies over and over again, and the words taken from Speed, etc., could have just stuck in his mind. And he could have overheard talk of his father's bonus, using the same figure in his demand.

Suppose Burke lured his sister to the basement, tied her up and then wrote the note for his parents to find the next day. She could have made him angry about something and this was a way for him to get even.

I still think the strangulation was accidental. Would I be correct in saying that JonBenet could have struggled to free herself, not knowing that she was tightening the garrote with every move she made?

As far as the broken paint brush being placed in her vagina, how was that discovered? I have no explanation for why Burke would have done that.

calicocat said:
John Ramsey had remarked during an interview that he thought the ransom note sounded childish, which made me think of Burke. I was trying to figure out where "foreign faction" may have come from and I wondered if there was a video game out with those words in it. If Burke is anything like my boys, they play the same games and watch the same movies over and over again, and the words taken from Speed, etc., could have just stuck in his mind. And he could have overheard talk of his father's bonus, using the same figure in his demand.

Suppose Burke lured his sister to the basement, tied her up and then wrote the note for his parents to find the next day. She could have made him angry about something and this was a way for him to get even.

I still think the strangulation was accidental. Would I be correct in saying that JonBenet could have struggled to free herself, not knowing that she was tightening the garrote with every move she made?

As far as the broken paint brush being placed in her vagina, how was that discovered? I have no explanation for why Burke would have done that.
I agree there is a childish component to the ransom note, but I don't think Burke wrote it. It just looks so much like Patsy's handwriting, IMO.

Also, the garrote around her neck did not function in such a way that it would tighten if JBR struggled against it. How does your theory explain JBR's head wound - where does that fit in if you think the strangulation was accidental?

I do not know what role Burke played in any of this. I think he probably knows (consciously or unconsiously) more than he's said publicly, but I don't generally lean towards a theory that involves his direct involvement in the crime.

Now whether or not he and his sister ever played DR, leading to some of JBR's chronic abuse symptoms, I cannot say.

The kids were fond of playing in the basement. Burke could have been swinging his baseball bat and JonBenet could have walked into it.

I read one of the interviews that John gave the police and I could not pick up on any sense of grief in his words when he spoke of the details of that day. He was so distraught over his daughter Beth's death, that I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have felt the same over JonBenet, even more so with the way she was killed. It's really baffling.

calicocat said:

IMO, the handwriting is FAR TOO ADULT for a child of 9.

"I read one of the interviews that John gave the police and I could not pick up on any sense of grief in his words when he spoke of the details of that day. He was so distraught over his daughter Beth's death, that I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have felt the same over JonBenet, even more so with the way she was killed. It's really baffling."

That's been a big sticking point for a lot of people.

SuperDave said:
"I read one of the interviews that John gave the police and I could not pick up on any sense of grief in his words when he spoke of the details of that day. He was so distraught over his daughter Beth's death, that I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have felt the same over JonBenet, even more so with the way she was killed. It's really baffling."

Beth got a shrine in John's private bathroom. John was making flight arrangements to get out of Boulder within hours of finding JonBenet. He had to be told by LE to do no such thing. :bang:

SuperDave

Last I understood the Whites had wished for a Special Prosecutor to take over the Ramsey case, is this true do you know? Is there any current stand the Whites take or have they pretty much closed the door?

I sure would love to know their thoughts.

Thanks
Jubie

SuperDave said:

That kind of makes me wonder if it was somewhat of a relief for him when JB died,due to any abuse that might have been occuring and could have possibly been found out about, esp. as JB got older.
And knowing what they might find at the autopsy,possibly why he wanted to get out of town so quickly, too.

jubie said:
John was making flight arrangements to get out of Boulder within hours of finding JonBenet. He had to be told by LE to do no such thing. :bang:
Within hours? Try more like 30-35 minutes.

-Tea

jubie said:
Beth got a shrine in John's private bathroom. John was making flight arrangements to get out of Boulder within hours of finding JonBenet. He had to be told by LE to do no such thing. :bang:
I think there was a framed photo of Beth in the bathroom. There wasn't a shrine, just one pic. IMO.

calicocat said:
The kids were fond of playing in the basement. Burke could have been swinging his baseball bat and JonBenet could have walked into it.

I read one of the interviews that John gave the police and I could not pick up on any sense of grief in his words when he spoke of the details of that day. He was so distraught over his daughter Beth's death, that I find it hard to believe he wouldn't have felt the same over JonBenet, even more so with the way she was killed. It's really baffling.
JonBenet did not like playing in the basement, according to LHP she hardly ever went down there.

Solace said:
IMO, the handwriting is FAR TOO ADULT for a child of 9.
I agree, Solace.

I think the WORDING is far too adult for a child of 9.

I have a boy, just turned 10 yrs old. He is very smart, always getting straight A's (in an advanced school) and has always been on the First Honor Roll...which is maintaining a 97% or above in every class. That being said, there is NO WAY he could write a note such as this. No way at all. Yes, the note did have a tone of childishness to it, but more like feigned childishness. It would take a certain level of maturity, though, to compose the note, and I just don't think ANY 9 year old has that level of maturity.

julianne said:
I think there was a framed photo of Beth in the bathroom. There wasn't a shrine, just one pic. IMO.
There were also photos of Beth in JR Office which Steve Thomas saw.And JR did act more upset about Beth's death then JBR's.The not had 24 of 26 letters marked the same way PR wrote with her handwritting sample.

The More I read Steve Thomas Bookthe more I have a feeling it was an inside job. And The BPD blew it big time.How many PD do you know that hires a gang memeber to work with them. And give them access to the undercover cops files?Sure glad I do not live there.

Read the ransom note:

"Mr. Ramsey.
Listen carefully! We are a group of individuals that represent
a small foreign faction. We xx respect your bussiness
but not the country that it serves. At this time we have
your daughter in our posession. She is safe and unharmed and
if you want her to see 1997, you must follow our instructions to
the letter.

You will withdraw $118,000.00 from your account. $100,000 will be
in $100 bills and the remaining $18,000 in $20 bills
. Make sure
that you bring an adequate size attache to the bank. When you get
home you will put the money in a brown paper bag. I will call you
between 8 and 10 am tomorrow to instruct you on delivery. The
delivery will be exhausting so I advise you to be rested. If we
monitor you getting the money early, we might call you early to
arrange an earlier delivery of the money and hence a earlier
delivery pickup of your daughter.

Any deviation of my instructions will result in the immediate
execution of your daughter. You will also be denied her remains
for proper burial
. The two gentlemen watching over your daughter
do not particularly like you so I advise you not to provoke them.
Speaking to anyone about your situation, such as Police, F.B.I.,
etc., will result in your daughter being beheaded. If we catch you
talking to a stray dog, she dies. If you alert bank authorities, she
dies. If the money is in any way marked or tampered with, she dies.
You will be scanned for electronic devices and if any are found, she
dies. You can try to deceive us but be warned that we are familiar
with Law enforcement countermeasures and tactics. You stand a 99%
chance of killing your daughter if you try to out smart us. Follow
our instructions and you stand a 100% chance of getting her back.
You and your family are under constant scrutiny as well as the
authorities. Don't try to grow a brain John. You are not the only
fat cat around so don't think that killing will be difficult. Don't
underestimate us John. Use that good southern common sense of yours.
It is up to you now John!
Victory!
S.B.T.C."

The bold print indiactes words and phrases that especially jump out as sophisticated or requiring a great deal of sophisticated knowledge. Really now. Does anybody actually believe that a nine year old boy -- even a very intelligent nine year old boy -- wrote this note? This note was written by an adult with much knowledge of how things work and possessing a rather sophisticated vocabulary.

julianne said:
I agree, Solace.

I think the WORDING is far too adult for a child of 9.

I have a boy, just turned 10 yrs old. He is very smart, always getting straight A's (in an advanced school) and has always been on the First Honor Roll...which is maintaining a 97% or above in every class. That being said, there is NO WAY he could write a note such as this. No way at all. Yes, the note did have a tone of childishness to it, but more like feigned childishness. It would take a certain level of maturity, though, to compose the note, and I just don't think ANY 9 year old has that level of maturity.
I think I have the same son!

I have 10 year old boys over here all the time, I also have a 13 year old son, and I don't think even he could have written it.

You hit the nail on the head - the WORDING is too adult. It suggests life experience and exposure to ideas that (nearly) 10 year olds like Burke was at the time just haven't experienced.

I don't know about feigned childishness, certainly there was feigned "foreignness" (I may have made up a new word, lol) I sense a mistaken belief on the part of the author that they were somehow fooling anyone with this melodrama....maybe an overconfidence in their ability to trick the reader into believing the note was authentic?

jmo

Cypros said:
The bold print indiactes words and phrases that especially jump out as sophisticated or requiring a great deal of sophisticated knowledge. Really now. Does anybody actually believe that a nine year old boy -- even a very intelligent nine year old boy -- wrote this note? This note was written by an adult with much knowledge of how things work and possessing a rather sophisticated vocabulary.
Cypros,
I must agree with you. I simply do not see a 9 or 10 year old little boy writing such a long ransom note. Children that age don't like to write 3 page reports for school-never mind writing a 3 page ransom note.

sandraladeda said:
I think I have the same son!

I have 10 year old boys over here all the time, I also have a 13 year old son, and I don't think even he could have written it.

You hit the nail on the head - the WORDING is too adult. It suggests life experience and exposure to ideas that (nearly) 10 year olds like Burke was at the time just haven't experienced.

I don't know about feigned childishness, certainly there was feigned "foreignness" (I may have made up a new word, lol) I sense a mistaken belief on the part of the author that they were somehow fooling anyone with this melodrama....maybe an overconfidence in their ability to trick the reader into believing the note was authentic?

jmo
Hey, I ALSO have a 13 year old son!! Same thing....smart, smart kid on the honor roll, in honors classes, loves homework...and I know there's just no way at all he could ever write a note like that, either.

I also have a 16 year old son. He's not on the honor roll, not in honors classes, and is a very average student as he would much rather socialize than be "bothered" with schoolwork. (Been trying to conquer that mountain...) There's no way he could've written something like that, either. Not proud of saying that, but he just couldn't. No way, no how. Even if he was a really good student (in my dreams) I still don't think he could write it because, as you said, it suggests life experience and exposure to ideas that I know he hasn't been exposed to yet.

Your statement about the "overconfidence in their ability to trick the reader" really does ring true. I read the note again after reading your post and I think that's most likely a very accurate description of the authors mindset during the composition of the note.

I am so glad to come across this thread! There were posters here for years insisting the RN could have been written by any reasonably bright 9-year-old. It just ain't so.

I taught college freshmen (competitive program, all A students, high SAT scores, etc.) for most of the past decade. Few of any of those kids could have written the ransom note; the vocabulary includes too many words that even teens don't use. (I think Cypros will back me up here.)

And what's more, most modern kids will do anything to avoid writing at length. They've grown up on TV commercials, music videos and the internet. They simply don't write at length, particularly not by hand.

"Last I understood the Whites had wished for a Special Prosecutor to take over the Ramsey case, is this true do you know?"

It sure is!

"Is there any current stand the Whites take or have they pretty much closed the door?"

Haven't heard from them.

"That kind of makes me wonder if it was somewhat of a relief for him when JB died,due to any abuse that might have been occuring and could have possibly been found out about, esp. as JB got older."

That relief question of yours takes on new meaning when you remember that Patsy said Jb was "better off dead!"

"I think the WORDING is far too adult for a child of 9."

I agree. The people who profiled the note said it was most likely a middle-aged woman. A middle-aged Southern woman.

Anybody we know?

Nova said:
I am so glad to come across this thread! There were posters here for years insisting the RN could have been written by any reasonably bright 9-year-old. It just ain't so.

I taught college freshmen (competitive program, all A students, high SAT scores, etc.) for most of the past decade. Few of any of those kids could have written the ransom note; the vocabulary includes too many words that even teens don't use. (I think Cypros will back me up here.)

And what's more, most modern kids will do anything to avoid writing at length. They've grown up on TV commercials, music videos and the internet. They simply don't write at length, particularly not by hand.

Nova, you are so right! I teach English 9-12 and I'm telling you, my brightest students wouldn't write that note even if they could. Syntax is all wrong. No way. It's true, they avoid any lengthy writing. This dislike of writing is epidemic. Much to my chagrin.

Eve

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3