739 users online (91 members and 648 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation Do NOT eat bagged spinach until further notice!

An outbreak of E. coli in eight states has left at least one person dead and 50 others sick, federal health officials said Thursday in warning consumers nationwide not to eat bagged fresh spinach.

The death occurred in Wisconsin, where 20 others were also sickened, said Dr. David Acheson of the Food and Drug Administration's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. The outbreak has sickened others eight of them seriously in Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon and Utah.

FDA officials do not know the source of the outbreak other than it appears to be linked to bagged spinach. "We're advising people not to eat it," Acheson said.

The outbreak has affected a mix of ages, but most of the cases have involved women, Acheson told reporters in a conference call. He had no further information on the person who died.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Wisconsin health officials alerted the FDA about the outbreak Wednesday. Preliminary analysis suggests the same bug is responsible for the outbreak in all eight states.

The warning applied to consumers nationwide because of uncertainty over the origin of the tainted spinach and how widely it was distributed.

Health officials do not know of any link to a specific growing region, grower, brand or supplier, Acheson said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060915/ap_on_he_me/tainted_spinach_12&printer=1

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

yEP. i HEARD ABOUT THIS ON cnn TONITE..............JUST ABOUT 15 MINUTES AFTER i FINISHED MY RATHER LARGE SPINACH SALAD. My first thought was to stick my finger down my throat, but I decided it was to late for that anyway.So I called my husband who is out of town working and told him I was going to die. He told me to look it up and see what to look for if I have it. So now I have to wait 7 days to see if I get a severe case of bloody diarhea. Ain't life grand?????????????????? BTW I'm in California and it's not on the "affected states" list yet. How much ya wanna bet I'm the one that puts us there?!

I LOVE Spinach too!!!!!

Love it all ya want...but don't eat it!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trixie
    Love it all ya want...but don't eat it!!!!!!!
    I was going to eat some tonight then I seen that on the news.

Crack me up Trixie! You can't win for losing. LOL You try to eat a healthy diet with fresh veggies, buy it pre-washed so you are sure all of the dirt is off {spinach is awful to get all the dirt off}.

I think the problem is they add gas to the package to keep it fresh and green, like they do lettuce. Maybe it caused the spinach to form this germ inside the bag. That's why I only buy leaf spinach from an open bin at New Seasons and select each leaf as I put it in my plastic sack.

Thanks Dark Knight, you always keep us so well informed as to what's going on in the world!

Scandi

I stopped buying any bagged salads since the previous outbreaks. I found it wasn't anymore convenient if ya have to worry about contamination and getting sick let alone dying from it. Now I just make a huge tupperware type container of fresh fixins and it lasts a lot longer than those bags ever did.

Thanks for the info, DK, I hadn't heard this news!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

I just saw this on the news and it is really scary. Oregon is one of the states that is affected

Part of the helpless feeling is that there is no one brand that they have tracked the dangerous spinach to, any bagged brand is suspect. Wonder why they can't single it down more than that?

Hi Chico, Your post caught my eye about the Tupperware bowl to store lettuce. I usually have my salads out, as when I buy lettuce, it goes so fast, and I won't eat it if it starts to turn at the edges. And it is usually at a salad bar where I go, and I usually take spinach leaves to add to the lettuce. Won't do that anymore, as they might buy it bagged, right?

Do you use the green luttuce bowl with the removable spikie in the bottom? How do you prepare it? Wash it first and then do you have a spinner to get most of the water off? I'd love to know how you do it as I think salads are very important in a diet and would love to prepare them at home. Lettuce is very expensive in Oregon, so you have to make the most of it if you are going to buy it.

Thanks, Scandi

I use a rubbermaid tub about 10"wide 14"long and 5" deep, I forget what quart size it is. I just wash, shake a bit then chop (yes with a knife ) 2-3 heads of romaine and one small head of iceberg and add radishes, cukes etc. I don't fuss with spinning or worrying about the extra moisture when I toss it all in the container. It lasts days without going the least bit brown, stays crisp too and like you I won't eat lettuce if there is any brown at all...yuck. We eat a lot of salad lol When I used the bagged salad it was use it all at one sitting or the next day the chickens got salad. Always turned brown right away. I even had bought some that went bad the next day before I opened the bag...and the expiration date was days away. $$ down the drain and too much trouble to take it back for a refund cause the cost of the gas to take it back just didn't make it worth while so I stopped all bagged salads. Still use some bagged veggies like broccoli slaw and shredded cabbage but it seems to stay fresh and crisp much longer than the lettuce.

I no longer have the tupperware lettuce (or human head) container, lost track of it ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by scandi
    Crack me up Trixie! You can't win for losing. LOL You try to eat a healthy diet with fresh veggies, buy it pre-washed so you are sure all of the dirt is off {spinach is awful to get all the dirt off}.

I think the problem is they add gas to the package to keep it fresh and green, like they do lettuce. Maybe it caused the spinach to form this germ inside the bag. That's why I only buy leaf spinach from an open bin at New Seasons and select each leaf as I put it in my plastic sack.

Thanks Dark Knight, you always keep us so well informed as to what's going on in the world!

Scandi
    You're very welcome! If it's gonna kill ya, you'll hear it here first, lol!

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoliving
    I stopped buying any bagged salads since the previous outbreaks. I found it wasn't anymore convenient if ya have to worry about contamination and getting sick let alone dying from it. Now I just make a huge tupperware type container of fresh fixins and it lasts a lot longer than those bags ever did.
    I'm going to try that. It seems that lettuce goes bad in 3-4 days after you open it. Thanks!

Wink

I love spinach.
    I cook it thou, since I had an attack about 8 years ago.
    Man was I sick, McDonalds salad...

Thanks for the heads up! I had not heard of this.

What about bagged salad with spinach in it?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast