Richard

Reaction score
Khymbrly Scruggs
Missing since January 12, 1980 from Sacramento, California
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: August 13, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6"; 115 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Glass cut on right shin
Clothing: Burgundy wool coat with camel stripes.
Dentals: Not available. Chipped front tooth.
AKA: Khym Scruggs; Kim Scruggs; Kimberly

Circumstances of Disappearance
Khymbrly was last seen on January 12, 1984 in Sacramento, CA. She was last seen in her apartment, her purse and identification were left behind. Foul Play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Sacramento County Sheriff's Department (916)874-5057.

Agency Case Number: 80-3830
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
CA DOJ
Doenetwork Case File 2101DFCA
KScruggs.jpg
KScruggs1.jpg

Link:
http://doenetwork.org/cases/2101dfca.html

My Charley Project page contains a lot more info
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/scruggs_khymbrly.html:

Scruggs was last seen at her apartment near Fair Oaks Boulevard and Howe Avenue in Sacramento, California on January 12, 1984. She has never been heard from again. She left behind her identification and her purse. Foul play is suspected in her case; authorities believe a neighbor murdered her and concealed her body. The suspect had cuts and scratches on his body after Scruggs's disappearance, and eluded the police for three months before he was picked up and interrogated for twelve hours. He denied involvement in Scruggs's disappearance and was eventually sent to prison for an unrelated rape. He was paroled in 1989 has never been charged in Scruggs's case.

Scruggs was a student at California State University at Sacramento in 1984; she studied political science and international affairs and had a job as a sales clerk at Weinstocks. Her case remains unsolved.

She looks like a lovely, all-American girl. I'm surprised her case didn't get more media attention.

Khymbrly Scruggs was 19 when she went missing between 7am and 11am January 12, (I believe it was 1980). Earlier that same morning, my friend and I hitched a ride from a man at 6am (met him the night before at another friend's house). As he dropped us off, he invited us to his apartment (said he was bored) but we declined. He left, saying he was going home. Khymbrly was his neighbor. The man was later seen with scratches on his face. He did not have scratches when we were with him. He went into hiding in the mountains for a few months. His car was found in Sacramento so he must have hitched a ride. He was found and questioned but later released (no body, although I heard there was blood in his apartment). He was later imprisoned for an unrelated rape but has since been paroled. I gave a statement to police then and again several years later. I think about Khymbrly often. Where is she?

whereisshe said:
Khymbrly Scruggs was 19 when she went missing between 7am and 11am January 12, (I believe it was 1980). Earlier that same morning, my friend and I hitched a ride from a man at 6am (met him the night before at another friend's house). As he dropped us off, he invited us to his apartment (said he was bored) but we declined. He left, saying he was going home. Khymbrly was his neighbor. The man was later seen with scratches on his face. He did not have scratches when we were with him. He went into hiding in the mountains for a few months. His car was found in Sacramento so he must have hitched a ride. He was found and questioned but later released (no body, although I heard there was blood in his apartment). He was later imprisoned for an unrelated rape but has since been paroled. I gave a statement to police then and again several years later. I think about Khymbrly often. Where is she?
You should contact the current investigator assigned to this case and tell him what you know. Case officers change every few years, and each takes a fresh look with a different perspective. There might also be other information available to them about this suspect, which they did not have at the time of the initial investigation.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes. Are there websites where I might find information on paroled sex offenders (without a membership fee)? I know his name and remember what he looked like then. I often wonder ... if my friend and I had accepted his invitation, would he have harmed us or would he have been satisfied with having company and not harmed anyone, at least not that day? I didn't know Khymbrly but she has been in my heart for 27 years.

Howe and Fair Oaks is very near the river... very easy to dispose of a body...

I've lived in Sacramento for most of my life and I am sad to say that I have never hear of Khymbrly.

Here is Megans Law website for CA: http://meganslaw.ca.gov/

Thank you, MagicRose. I searched Megan's Law but found nothing on this man. I hadn't considered the American River. I do a lot of rafting there. Homeless people set up camp there, although not so much years ago. This man was a survivalist and was discovered hiding in the mountains somewhere in Northern California. It has been over 25 years since Khymbrly went missing but we must never give up when something like this occurs. I'm sick o' the bad guys!

can you PM me his name?

I'd like to know more about this case. I can't find much info about her. I know that area well and am suprised I haven't heard about this case before.

Regarding Khymbrly Scruggs
Hi Mooner. The suspect in this case is Gerald Orr. I am almost positive I have the correct last name but you might try Ott as well. His picture and name were in The Sacramento Bee (could have been The Sacramento Union) after Khymbrly went missing. He wore a blue uniform with the name "Gerry" on a white patch. He was around 30 years old in 1980, a big man, 6'2" with brown hair and a mustache. He had an 1-inch scar on his forehead (he told me a guy hit him with a crowbar for flirting with his girlfriend). I was close enough to him to discuss this scar. That's how I know he did NOT have scratches on his face at the time he dropped off my friend and I. He was later seen with scratches. Feel free to PM me or post in the public forum. Hope this helps.

there are a few Gerald Orr's that lived in the Sacramento area. Do you remember which apts he lived?

Khymbrly went missing in 1984. You saw him in 1980 with scratches or could you have the year wrong?

I couldn't find him on the Megan's Law website either.

Where can we find 'proof' of the date? I remember Khymbrly being 19 when she went missing. If she was born August 13, 1960, that would make the date sometime before August 13, 1980. It was pouring down rain the night before so it was during Sacramento's rainy season (January?). I gave a statement to police from my mother's home, a home she no longer lived in after 1981. In 1984 I was pregnant but was not pregnant when I met this man. A co-worker of his saw scratches on his face on Monday, a day or two after Khymbrly disappeared. I either read this in the newspaper or heard it from the detective on the case at that time, Det. Stan Reed. I am certain the year was NOT 1984 but do not remember the exact date. The apartments are located on the northeast corner of Fair Oaks Boulevard and Howe Avenue. I will look up the name and post it later. Can we find the newspaper article archive online?

She looks like a lovely, all-American girl. I'm surprised her case didn't get more media attention.

Back in the early 80s, they had a different way of investigating missing persons. They didn't do the all-out media blitz that they do now. Its unfortunate too. Many cases could have been solved.

If this did occur in 1980, then there may be a connection to the Alma Root case. Alma was last seen in Sacramento on January 1, 1980 in the Rio Linda area of Sacramento. And Alma was known to frequently hitch-hike.

Today marks the anniversary of Khymbrly's disappearance. Has anyone heard anything lately with regard to any resolution?

revitals.rootsweb.ancestry.com/.../search.cgi?...Scruggs.ad that her family declared her dead on the day she went missing. This website shows her death certificate was on January 12, 1980. I wonder if there are some Jane Does that haven't been considered since some sites have her year missing as 1984?

Back in the early 80s, they had a different way of investigating missing persons. They didn't do the all-out media blitz that they do now. Its unfortunate too. Many cases could have been solved.

At my job we have pass (what its called) that we get (work for a law enforcement agency) sent by someone. I persoally think its a way to see if we are checking our email. Most of time it has nothing to do with us. We have to review and sign off. Well today we got one on missing persons. I actually read since as you can imagine this subject interests me. Apparently at least in my jurisdiction that a family member has to report a missing person (if over 16) unless they think suspicious circumstances may be involed. Not sure how much has changed, just my opinion.

Where can we find 'proof' of the date? I remember Khymbrly being 19 when she went missing. If she was born August 13, 1960, that would make the date sometime before August 13, 1980. It was pouring down rain the night before so it was during Sacramento's rainy season (January?). I gave a statement to police from my mother's home, a home she no longer lived in after 1981. In 1984 I was pregnant but was not pregnant when I met this man. A co-worker of his saw scratches on his face on Monday, a day or two after Khymbrly disappeared. I either read this in the newspaper or heard it from the detective on the case at that time, Det. Stan Reed. I am certain the year was NOT 1984 but do not remember the exact date. The apartments are located on the northeast corner of Fair Oaks Boulevard and Howe Avenue. I will look up the name and post it later. Can we find the newspaper article archive online?

Were you able to find any archives for Gerald Orr's arrest? I couldn't find anything on the internet. And I am extremely concerned as to why this violent predator was/is not listed on Megan's List. Do you happen to know if he is still living and if so where? How did this case slip through the cracks, when you have a presumed dead young girl, a likely violent predator suspect and physical injuries on him as proof plus him fleeing says it all. Sacramento dropped the ball here. Does anyone see a resemblance to Princess Doe from NJ? Its an unlikely chance given the location of the body but you never know. I'm wondering why her name isn't listed as a possible on the lengthy list.

http://www.princessdoe.org/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galluvstrucrime