Reaction score
40 Years ago...

Kenneth James Schmit
Missing since September 22, 1966 from St. Walburg, Saskatchewan, Canada
Classification: Missing
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: December 6, 1933
Age at Time of Disappearance: 33 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 173 cm (5'8"); 70 kg (155 lbs)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; hazel eyes. Black horn rimmed glasses.
Clothing: Black pants, white shirt, and wine coloured cardigan.
AKA: Jimmy

Circumstances of Disappearance
On the 22nd of September, 1966, Kenneth Schmit was last seen at 10:30 p.m. leaving a residence in St. Walburg, SK.

Schmit was a barrister and solicitor, practicing in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
On September 21, 1966, Schmit travelled from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, to North Battleford, Saskatchewan. He telephoned his wife that day (she was in Prince Albert) and advised her that he was going fishing with a friend, Horace Green, and that he was going to look into the purchase of a new car.

Green and Schmit had travelled to Saint Walburg to the home of a Mr. Romphf, arriving there around 6:00 p.m. on September 22nd. Arguments developed between Schmit and Romphf and Schmit left the home of Romphf that evening around 10:00 o'clock. He has not been seen or heard of since that date.

Schmit was in good health, enjoyed a happy home life and had no reason to disappear. Since his disappearance no cheques have been cashed on his bank account nor have his credit cards been used.

Numerous searches of the area were conducted, however, Schmit was not located. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police Detachment at North Battleford searched the Saint Walburg area with police dogs and police and civilian personnel. That area is heavily wooded and marshy with bears.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Saskatoon RCMP
Historical Case Unit 306-975-5153

Agency Case Number: 1966-701
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
SACP
The Doe Network: Case File 1963DMSK

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1963dmsk.html

Bumping case up. There is an old saying that "A mountie always gets his man." This one has taken a long time, but perhaps the case can still be solved.

RCMP investigating disappearance of Kenneth James 'Jimmy' Schmit
By Leader-Post staffNovember 30, 2009 6:08 PM
REGINA — RCMP in Saskatchewan are asking for the public’s help with a historical missing person case more than 43 years old.

In a media release, RCMP Historical Case Unit North requested information from the public on the disappearance in 1966 of a St. Walburg male.

Kenneth James ‘Jimmy’ Schmit was last seen at 10:30 p.m. on Sept. 22, 1966. He was leaving a residence in the town of St. Walburg, about 100 kilometres southwest of Meadow Lake. Though searches were conducted in the area, Schmit was never located, RCMP noted.

Schmit was born on Dec. 6, 1933. RCMP described Schmit as Caucasian and said, when he disappeared in 1966, he was 33 years old, five-feet-eight-inches tall, 155 pounds, with brown hair and hazel eyes.

He wore black, horn-rimmed glasses, and was last seen wearing black pants, a white shirt and a wine-colored cardigan.

Anyone with any information regarding the case is asked to contact RCMP Historical Case Unit North at 306-875-5153. Anyone wishing to remain anonymous is asked to contact Saskatchewan Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or via a website (www.saskcrimestoppers.com).

© Copyright © The Regina Leader-Post
http://www.leaderpost.com/news/RCMP+invest...6993/story.html

Bumping this one up. Hopefully the new Leader-Post article can generate some leads.

Perhaps if the RCMP could release the full text of the statements of Mr. Romphf and of Horace Green, more insight could be had into the last known sighting of Mr. Schmidt.

Anyone happen to have more information than what I readily find posted on the net. Jimmy Schmit was my dad's brother and I was only two when he disappeared. My family rarely if ever talked about this and I am curious as to what really may have happened.

This is my dad. I want to know what really happened. Someone has to know something or saw something. Please just get back to the RCMP. I agree that they need to go back and talk to Mr Rompf and Mr Green. My question is why is everything so hush hush what are they trying to cover up?

bumbping this up. hope one day he will be found

I grew up in St. Walburg, and there was an urban legend that there was a body either buried under or in the cement of the garage of Mr. Romphf. I don’t know where or how I heard about it, but we used to run past it on the way to and from school being afraid of ghosts. Rumour was that he built the shed/garage shortly after Mr. Schmit went missing. Don’t know how true it was, but thought I’d share here. I’d hate if there was any truth in the urban legend and it wasn’t shared. I did share this with Crimestoppers as well, but never heard back.

I grew up in St. Walburg, and there was an urban legend that there was a body either buried under or in the cement of the garage of Mr. Romphf. I don’t know where or how I heard about it, but we used to run past it on the way to and from school being afraid of ghosts. Rumour was that he built the shed/garage shortly after Mr. Schmit went missing. Don’t know how true it was, but thought I’d share here. I’d hate if there was any truth in the urban legend and it wasn’t shared. I did share this with Crimestoppers as well, but never heard back.

I have heard of .this too from one of my cousins. I am one of Kenneth’s daughters. Sure would like to know and will be following up with crime stoppers

I have heard of .this too from one of my cousins. I am one of Kenneth’s daughters. Sure would like to know and will be following up with crime stoppers
Like I said, I’m not sure how true it is. My family was reminiscing about silly things when we were kids, and when I shared the memory of running past this shed/garage (I was in university and had never heard about this before), my Dad shared his memories. He was just a kid when your Dad went missing and he remembered all the people who combed the woods near the school looking for him. He also shared the rumours that went around. It always bothered me, and I finally decided to share it just in case there was any truth behind it. I hope someone is able to follow up on it if anything just to be able to rule it out and say that every angle was pursued. I really hope you are able to find out what happened.

I recently had read an article on this case. I grew up in St.Walburg but never heard about it before. I
went home for a function and curiously asked about this case. People had a few things to say but the main story/rumour was that Mr. Rompfh had murdered a man and buried him his dirt basement and then covered cement over it within days. I was told Mr.Rompfh was mentally ill and ended up living a lot of his life in sask hospital. Mrs.Rompfh has passed away as well. The house is currently empty and for sale. I hope the family finds closure one day.

Like I said, I’m not sure how true it is. My family was reminiscing about silly things when we were kids, and when I shared the memory of running past this shed/garage (I was in university and had never heard about this before), my Dad shared his memories. He was just a kid when your Dad went missing and he remembered all the people who combed the woods near the school looking for him. He also shared the rumours that went around. It always bothered me, and I finally decided to share it just in case there was any truth behind it. I hope someone is able to follow up on it if anything just to be able to rule it out and say that every angle was pursued. I really hope you are able to find out what happened.

There was no shop/garage there at the time, my Mum and sister lived there for a time after mum's first husband was killed in an accident. She said there was no concrete pad, or shop of any kind, in the back yard, though she said there was a very nice concrete floor in the basement. I remember when the shop was built, it was decades after this man vanished.

There was no shop/garage there at the time, my Mum and sister lived there for a time after mum's first husband was killed in an accident. She said there was no concrete pad, or shop of any kind, in the back yard, though she said there was a very nice concrete floor in the basement. I remember when the shop was built, it was decades after this man vanished.
Interesting, maybe the basement would reveal some clues. I know that this has tormented both myself and my sibling. My mother and sister have passed away with no answers. I believe that someone holds the key to where my Dad has gone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back