754 users online (108 members and 646 guests)  

Websleuths News

UK - 'Supernanny' nursery owner accused of toddler assault

A nursery owner with more than 20 years' experience stood trial today accused of assaulting a toddler after she used a technique inspired by TV's Supernanny programme.

Olive Rack, 56, is said to have "overreacted" when she saw a two-year-old girl hit a baby over the head with a toy at the nursery she runs in Kettering, Northamptonshire.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ult/article.do

Did she go over the top? did she commit assalt? and how would you have handled it?

personally, i don't have experience with children and wouldn't have known what to do for the best, so i am interested in what people here who have children think.

Dragging the older girl to a "naughty chair" was a technique used by Jo Frost, the child expert on Channel 4's Supernanny programme.

and the child's parents continue to allow her to go to the £130 - $243.94-a-week nursery, so they weren't against the nanny's action enough to discontinue sending their daughter there.

If that happened to my child and charges were being brought whether I wanted it or not, I would definetly send my child elsewhere to be cared for. From what I read she "assaulted" the child in front of another person? Thats really bright. I think she did overreact. Come on, its a toddler not an older child that probably meant to do it, the other kid had no reaction because it probably wasnt much to hurt him/her. Using something they saw on television I dont think is a good excuse because I dont believe poking and screaming came with the "discipline" on the tv show. Interesting story is all I have to say.

I guess this would depend more on my gut feeling about the people and the place than what we are getting in this story. The media is just too unreliable about their slant.

While the caregiver clearly crossed a boundry and should be immediately fired, I'm not sure this really rates criminal assault charges. As the parent, I would have to assess the situation for myself and also weigh how attached my child and I were to the center and the other caregivers. As long as I felt the center was responding appropriately (which apparently they did by calling the police) and was still comfortable there, why further traumatize the child by changing such a big part of her life. Especially since you know this behavior won't be tolerated and brushed under the rug by the management!

Hard to say for sure based on a sensational newspaper article.

Thanks for the link Floh.

The caregiver committed assault.She also needs some anger managment classes.
    Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

If any child care worker had treated my child like that I would have taken them out of that persons care. No way, would I leave them with someone who over reacts like that. i do not like supernanny either thinks she is full of chit.She talks to kids like they are morons, i do not like people who talk down to small children. IMO opinion this is what she does. No, i would not let her near mine either. I like firm but kind .No talking down.

I don't have children, but I do watch Supernanny and there is nothing that Jo (the "SuperNanny") does that fits with the description of this daycare worker's actions. Yes, Jo does make use of a "naughty seat" as a kind of time out space, but she does not promote dragging children there or poking them in the forehead, or any of the other things this woman did. In fact, she is always saying how important it is to be respectful of the child and to act as a role model of behavior. You have to be the adult and the one in control.

It might be time for this woman to retire or change careers. That sounds like a pretty extreme reaction. Maybe she was just having a bad day, but still....

I find that these things are happening more and more. Child care workers treating children poorly, in some cases, hurting and causing permanent damage to them. Yet instead of the parents taking the child out of the situation, and caring for the child themselves, the parent just moves them to a different child care establishment. I just don't understand the logic?
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by lauramag
    I find that these things are happening more and more. Child care workers treating children poorly, in some cases, hurting and causing permanent damage to them. Yet instead of the parents taking the child out of the situation, and caring for the child themselves, the parent just moves them to a different child care establishment. I just don't understand the logic?
    Just my opinion

Probably because a parent has to work? moving the child to another establishment?

because if they didn't work then they would claim welfare. which in turn is paid by taxes and taxes are paid by . . . you get the picture?

Unfortunately there is a small percentage of people who have to utilize child care establishments, or their alternative would be welfare. In an abundance of the situations though, it is not absolutely necessary, it is simply the choice of the parent, and how they choose to live their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by lauramag
    Just my opinion......

...Unfortunately there is a small percentage of people who have to utilize child care establishments, or their alternative would be welfare. In an abundance of the situations though, it is not absolutely necessary, it is simply the choice of the parent, and how they choose to live their lives.
    I shouldn't bite....but I'm going to put forward the opinion that staying off welfare is just one of a number of valid reasons that good, loving parents might choose to avail their families of parent-alternative childcare.

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    I shouldn't bite....but I'm going to put forward the opinion that staying off welfare is just one of a number of valid reasons that good, loving parents might choose to avail their families of parent-alternative childcare.
    Not everybody has families to availe upon.

I think this woman did over react, but criminal charges I think are insane.

I have no kids, but I have been around enough to think that most kids go through the hitting phase. After witnessing my friend's child basically get away with it for way too long, I really think I will be pretty harsh about it should I have kids. Just because they probably will do it, doesn't mean that you shouldn't try to get it over with as quickly as possible.

I am very old school. I have only just come to the decision that I will probably never raise a hand to my children, but for the longest time, I really saw no harm in a little spank for extreme behaviour. The only reason I changed my mind, is that I don't want to confuse a child by spanking them for - for example - hitting someone else.
    Above is my opinion only