Identified! OR - Lincoln Co., Human skull found, Sep'06 - Name withheld

Auggie21

Reaction score
Lincoln County sheriff's deputies are investigating the discovery of a human skull by loggers in a remote area off East Devil's Lake Road near Lincoln City.

They found the skull Thursday.

Authorities asked anyone with information that might help identify the person to call Sgt. Ralph Turre at 541-265-4951.

My first thought is a hunter who went missing, Jeremy Childress maybe?

Gmommy said:
My first thought is a hunter who went missing, Jeremy Childress maybe?
I thought so too, but Jeremy is missing much further north.

If you look at this website about Jeremy he went missing possibly in Lincoln county-
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/jazzyrose/Childress.html.

I guess like any unidentified we all just sit and wait for positive ID and hopefully this skull can be identified quickly to give some family a little bit of hope to at least find where there loved one is and what may have happened to them.

Gmommy said:
If you look at this website about Jeremy he went missing possibly in Lincoln county-
http://www.angelfire.com/jazz/jazzyrose/Childress.html.

I guess like any unidentified we all just sit and wait for positive ID and hopefully this skull can be identified quickly to give some family a little bit of hope to at least find where there loved one is and what may have happened to them.
Jeremy's last know location is reported to be 48 miles north north east of the location of the skull by my calculation on google maps. The two place are both wooded, but not in the same forest. Unless someone took him to Lincoln City, I just don't see how it could be him.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lincoln County authorities plan to scour an area near where a human skull was found last week, a Lincoln County sheriff's official said this morning. [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lt. Curtis Landers said a team of up to 20 people led by Detective Sgt. Ralph Turre will search a wooded area this weekend for more evidence. Police have said they are not sure whether the skull belongs to Brooke Wilberger, a 19-year-old Brigham Young University student who disappeared from Corvallis in May 2004. Nothing so far links the skull to the missing woman, authorities have said. [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Police said they have no idea of the gender, age or size of the person of how the person died, Landers said. They skull has not been compared with any dental records, officials said. [/font]

it hasn't been compared with any dental records yet?? well, what the heck are they waiting for...?

we have to keep in mind though that it may not be from someone recently missing. it could very well be a native american, buried pioneer or explorer, etc...

Gee, I wonder if Oregon, my dear Oregon, has a crime lab that is up to the detailed and hi tec forensic examination it will take to ID this skull? Teeth can be checked right away. I wonder if they will send the skull out of state?

Wouldn't that be something if it were Brooke they have found? I HOPE IT IS HER!

Scandi

looking again at the location, it DOES seem like it could be brooke. it seems like a quick & easy drive from corvallis, and i could see someone just driving west & then north to that place, if they wanted to dispose of a body in a remote area.

I think they can send cases like this to OHSU. Not sure how long it will take them to compile a list of possible identities or figure out the gender if possible. Hopefully they'll ID this skull soon and it doesn't sit in some evidence room for ages.

reb said:
looking again at the location, it DOES seem like it could be brooke. it seems like a quick & easy drive from corvallis, and i could see someone just driving west & then north to that place, if they wanted to dispose of a body in a remote area.
I used to live in Corvallis and you are right, it is a pretty easy drive - west to Newport, then north along the coast highway to Lincoln City. But it takes at least an hour if not more, depending on traffic and road condition, to get to Newport from Corvallis. Then another hour or so, again depending on traffic and roads to get to Lincoln City.

The road to Newport is twisty and goes through the Coast Range with densely wooded areas on both sides of the road. It seems to me there would be closer and safer places to drop off a body than driving it all the way to Lincoln City, then back into the mountains on a logging road. There are plenty of relativy remote forest accesses all around Corvallis, so I'm not so sure.

Lincoln City is relatively large for a coast town and gets a lot of traffic through it. I think maybe the skull most likely belongs to someone more local to that area. But hey, I'm wrong way more than I'm right:loser:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1158801927131510.xml&coll=7

"There's nothing specifically pointing that way (to Wilberger)," Landers said, "but we can't rule anything out."

He said detectives contacted the Wilberger task force headed by the Corvallis Police Department as a matter of routine. But he noted that there are 70 missing persons cases in Lincoln County, all of which will be compared with the remains.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/september242006/remains_folo_92406.php

Actually it was said that Courtney was spotted driving erratically by someone near Rickreal and someone called 911 to report it. Well Rickreal is on the corner of highways 99 and 22. 22 is the road you take to Lincoln City and Devil's Lake is on the left hand side before you get to Lincoln City. I think this has a real possibility of being Brooke.

Thanks Scandi for bringing my attention to this news article. It was such a pleasure to meet you yesterday! :blowkiss:

I was just thinking. If these remains really are Brooke's then it was a real blessing that Courtney's trial in New Mexico has been detained because the trial here in Oregon would be much better with remains especially after his vehicle was seen driving erratically on a road headed to where the remains were found. I mean it's always better to try a murder case with a body then without one. I pray this is Brooke and Courtney can get fried on her murder. :behindbar

Me Too Anngelique! LOL

I just heard a news update on channel 12 out of Portland, and they do expect a positive ID sometime later this morning. Brooke's name was mentioned again, although once they associated the possibility that this skull could be hers, her name will be used until there is a positive ID.

Don't you think it is about time for her remains to be found? And I agree that Hwy 99 and 22 is kind of a major crosshair for travel - either you go N or decide to go west, and if you go west you easily end up in Lincoln city. Those logging roads at the east end of the lake lead into nowhere's land. And you wouldn't have to go far to find a good spot. An old burn, lots of stumps and new trees growing, and home for Elk that roam the narly terrain.

I do hope it is her so her family will have some closure.

Scandi

scandi said:
Me Too Anngelique! LOL

I just heard a news update on channel 12 out of Portland, and they do expect a positive ID sometime later this morning. Brooke's name was mentioned again, although once they associated the possibility that this skull could be hers, her name will be used until there is a positive ID.

Don't you think it is about time for her remains to be found? And I agree that Hwy 99 and 22 is kind of a major crosshair for travel - either you go N or decide to go west, and if you go west you easily end up in Lincoln city. Those logging roads at the east end of the lake lead into nowhere's land. And you wouldn't have to go far to find a good spot. An old burn, lots of stumps and new trees growing, and home for Elk that roam the narly terrain.

I do hope it is her so her family will have some closure.

Scandi

It looks like we were posting at the same time Scandi. Read my post above yours about it being good her trial had been postponed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back