GUILTY SC - Vinson Filyaw for abducting, holding 14yo girl captive, Lugoff, 2006

Rle7

Reaction score
The search for a missing Kershaw County teen continues, and Friday night the family held a vigil for her return.

Fourteen-year-old Elizabeth Shoaf, of Lugoff, was last seen Wednesday afternoon getting off the bus at the corner of Leaning Tree and Dry Branch roads. She was wearing a black jacket with an embroidered letter "L" for Lizzie.

A group of boys who got off the bus with her told investigators they hopped in a car for a ride home, but Elizabeth stayed behind to walk up the street to her house. She hasn't been seen since.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5377323&nav=0RaPTXfE

I wonder if the car the others jumped into was driven by someone they know or familiar with? maybe that person took the boys home, then returned to pick her up, maybe that is why she didn't go with them, cause that way they could make the connection as to who it was that took her. this could be someone that lives in the area. had all of them gotten in the car and then she disappears the person driving that car would have some explaining to do. anyone know if the police have looked into who this person was?

Oh, what a precious-looking girl. This one doesn't sound good, does it? I pray she really did just run away but it doesn't sound like it. :(

Young girls and boys are just so vulnerable at all times but it seems that kids are being taken in cars evey few days. I hope she returns home safely. She is a sweet looking girl and has so much ahead of her.

Such a cute girl. It doesn't sound like she ran away. I hope and pray that she did though and will call home soon. She is only 14 yrs old and whether she ran or not she is in a dangerous place. I guess because there is no proof that she was taken that LE will have to wait until they find her body before it can be said that she didn't run and that she was abducted :furious: How many times has this happened :mad: I think the Amber Alert needs to be changed. They could say what the child was wearing and her/his height and weight. Something that could identify the child. Even if the child is found and it was discovered that they did run it still would be worth putting out an alert just in case.

The family of 14-year-old Elizabeth Shoaf has released a picture of Shoaf's backpack that may give investigators clues to Shoaf's whereabouts.

Shoaf was reported missing since September 6, and the Kershaw County Sheriff's Department is still actively searching for the girl.

Friends and family held a candlelight vigil for Shoaf Wednesday evening on the State House grounds. They hope their efforts will send a message to lawmakers and the Amber Alert Commission about Shoaf's disappearance. "Just having an Amber Alert that says a 14-year-old girl with brown hair wearing jeans and t-shirt doesn't do a whole lot for Amber Alert," Moore said.

Amber Alert Commission member Jeff Moore says a vehicle description is not necessarily the most important reason to issue the alert, it is mainly to provide motorists with a warning. "It's to notify the motoring public that an individual," Moore said,"A child has been abducted." In Shoaf's case, Moore says because there is no vehicle description and no suspicious activity described, an Amber Alert would not be issued.

http://www.wltx.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=41939

I think an Amber Alert would at least inform the local public that a child is missing. It's crucial to find a missing child within the first few hours of a suspected abduction. I hope South Carolina's commissioners rethink this matter.

The Kershaw County Sheriff's Department has released a person of interest in the case of a missing teenager.

Vinson Filyaw, 36, is being sought by officers.

Details about why he's wanted have not been made available. He's a 36-year-old white male, six feet tall, and weighs 165 pounds.

Officers think he may be connected to the disappearance of 14-year-old Elizabeth Shoaf. She has not been seen since she was walking off her school bus the afternoon of September 6.

News19 profiled Filyaw back in April in a report on a list of wanted offenders in Kershaw County. He was wanted then for a charge of criminal sexual conduct on his then 12-year-old stepdaughter whom he was living with at the time.

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=42015

This doesn't sound good. How do these perverts stay off the radar for so long? Prayers go out to the family for a safe recovery.

and why the hell isn't this jerk in jail?? what purpose is he serving out on the streets, exactly...?? please remind me.

reb said:
and why the hell isn't this jerk in jail?? what purpose is he serving out on the streets, exactly...?? please remind me.

It really is sickening isn't it! And even though they think she may be with this pervert they still refuse to put out an Amber Alert. It really ticks me off.

reb said:

That's what I want to know.

The article about finding Elizabeth in his homemade bunker says police went to his house but he had an elaborate escape plan which included a tunnel from his house.

http://home.bellsouth.net/s/editori...article&render=y&ac=0&ck=&ch=ne&rg=blsadstrgt

LUGOFF, S.C. (AP) - A text message sent by a kidnapped 14-year-old to her mother led to her rescue Saturday, when police found her in a hand-dug, booby-trapped bunker.

Elizabeth Shoaf's message also led investigators to name a suspect in her kidnapping more than a week ago - police were searching a wooded area where the girl was found for 36-year-old Vinson Filyaw, said Kershaw County Sheriff Mike McCaskill.

Shoaf was found by deputies about a mile from her home in a 15-foot deep hole in the side of a hill that was covered with plywood. The bunker had a hand-dug privy with toilet paper, a camp stove and shelves made with cut branches and canvas.

McCaskill said the girl appeared to be unharmed but was taken to Kershaw County Medical Center for evaluation. Police have not interviewed her, saying they would leave her alone until she's ready to talk.

"We're just glad that she's alive and she's safe and that she will be home with us," her mother, Madeline Shoaf told WLTX-TV in Columbia. "She's a good girl. ... We never believed that she ran away."

Investigators say Filyaw, 36, may have posed as a police officer when he met Shoaf. The unemployed construction worker also is wanted on an unrelated sexual assault charge.

"He dug this pit and this child was in this pit," McCaskill said. "He is linked to her disappearance and he's got to answer for that."

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad to hear this!!!! And how nice the police are leaving her alone for a bit to adjust. Poor child!

so,, is he going to jail yet....?? or are they going to wait until he actually kills someone?

that is creepy that he posed as a deputy to kidnap the girl. i bet this happens quite often with abducted people. what are people supposed to do if they can't even trust who's a cop and who's not?

reb said:
so,, is he going to jail yet....?? or are they going to wait until he actually kills someone?

They have to find him first.

That is wonderful that she has been found. She is one lucky girl. What I wonder though is why she was allowed to keep her cell phone? Maybe the guy didn't check her over and didn't know that she had a cell phone with her?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandraGanis
Back