Practice Ransom Note

calicocat

Reaction score
Were Patsy Ramsey's fingerprints found on the practice ransom note? I understand that it came from the same legal pad that the original note was written on.

Patsy more or less admitted to writing the practice note when she told one of her friends (I forget who, it's in ST's book) that she had written the one that started "Mr and Mrs" and then a line like an I that may have been the start of an R. She said she was writing an invitation that began "Mr and Mrs Ramsey invite you..."

Very odd.

Nuisanceposter said:
Patsy more or less admitted to writing the practice note when she told one of her friends (I forget who, it's in ST's book) that she had written the one that started "Mr and Mrs" and then a line like an I that may have been the start of an R. She said she was writing an invitation that began "Mr and Mrs Ramsey invite you..."

Very odd.
Holy Cow! Your kidding!

Does anyone know the quote from ST's book that says this?

Which friend did she tell this?

I can tell now, I'm going to have to go to Barnes and Noble today! There is still so much that I don't know that has already been published about this case...:doh:

Or it could have been the start of the letter "L" as in "Listen Carefully."

I'll start looking for the friend's name and page number. I'm pretty sure it was in ST's book, but it could have been PMPT. I'll find it, though, I have all that good stuff underlined, circled, arrows pointing to it, etc.

Steve Thomas's book is the best. It has inside information you can't find anywhere else.

Nuisanceposter said:
I'll start looking for the friend's name and page number. I'm pretty sure it was in ST's book, but it could have been PMPT. I'll find it, though, I have all that good stuff underlined, circled, arrows pointing to it, etc.

Steve Thomas's book is the best. It has inside information you can't find anywhere else.
:D I laughed out loud! I should have known you would have "all the good stuff" marked! I think I LOVE You, Nuisanceposter! Thank You! ;)

"Patsy more or less admitted to writing the practice note when she told one of her friends (I forget who, it's in ST's book) that she had written the one that started 'Mr and Mrs' and then a line like an I that may have been the start of an R. She said she was writing an invitation that began 'Mr and Mrs Ramsey invite you..."

OOPS!

I believe that friend was Pam Griffin. Could be wrong.

Got it. Page 436, PMPT. The speaker here is Jeff Shapiro. (SD, you are right, it was Pam Griffin)

Pam said Patsy had told her that it was the beginning of an invitation she ws writing: "Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey...invite you..." By then there was a rumor that the cops believed this writing was a false start on the ransom note. If what Pam said was true, it was important to the police.

Moments after I heard what Coffman had learned, I left a message for Thomas on his voicemail. He called me back from his car, and I told him what Coffman had learned. I literally heard Thomas hit the brakes.

"Jeff, that's no ****in' invitation."

sandraladeda said:
Got it. Page 436, PMPT. The speaker here is Jeff Shapiro. (SD, you are right, it was Pam Griffin)

Pam said Patsy had told her that it was the beginning of an invitation she ws writing: "Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey...invite you..." By then there was a rumor that the cops believed this writing was a false start on the ransom note. If what Pam said was true, it was important to the police.

Moments after I heard what Coffman had learned, I left a message for Thomas on his voicemail. He called me back from his car, and I told him what Coffman had learned. I literally heard Thomas hit the brakes.

"Jeff, that's no ****in' invitation."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh My G! :eek:

Thank you for taking the time to find this and post it! It should have been of MAJOR IMPORTANCE to the police, I'd say!!!!!!!

Nuisanceposter said:

Very odd.
Hi Nuisanceposter. I did not know that. You know, is there any doubt. The two of them are just nuts. I truly believe she did this thing and wrote the note. But why not keep some semblance of a low profile. Why be all over the place for the first five years after the murder.

I could see them responding because they are trying to keep themselves out of jail. But they do so much.

Solace said:
Hi Nuisanceposter. I did not know that. You know, is there any doubt. The two of them are just nuts. I truly believe she did this thing and wrote the note. But why not keep some semblance of a low profile. Why be all over the place for the first five years after the murder.

I could see them responding because they are trying to keep themselves out of jail. But they do so much.
I have to read the book again. Have to.

Solace said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quoted from acandyrose, under topic handwriting, then link more handwriting:

From John and Patsy's 1996 Christmas Newsletter to friends and family:

"The Charlevoix house was on the home tour in July and will likely appear in one
of the Better Homes & Gardens publications in 1997. On a recent trip to NYC, my
friend and I appeared amid the throng of fans on the TODAY show. Al Roker &
Bryant actually talked to us and we were on camera for a few fleeting moments!"
~~

I could be wrong, but I think Patsy really enjoyed being in the spotlight. I'll edit this to also show another quote from acandyrose which mentions her "odd" response to her thoughts/comment after JBR's death.

The NE was granted an interview with the John and Patsy. The interview was published and below is an exerpt which was transcribed and put on the internet:

From acandyrose:-

Asked what goes through her mind when she recalls the events of JonBenet's death, Patsy gave a bizarre childlike answer.

"It kind of makes my heart go pitty-pat. I mean right now, I'm feeling like, gosh, this happened to my child."

:eek: Who can repeat after me, "Now that is weird. I don't care who you are. That is WEIRD!"??? :eek:

Thanks, guys. I think it's really really really strange what Patsy has to say about the RN. First she tells police that the paper looks like it could be from their tablet - and it was. She tells ST that "maybe a woman wrote it." She tells Pam Griffin there's an innocent reason for the practice note (ST's book, page 202 - he goes on to say he told Smit about it, who replied, "I was going to write a report on that." What? Why didn't he? Why did he wait to say something til Thomas found out and mentioned it to him?). She can't be excluded as the author, even by Ramsey-hired experts. It looks like her writing and sounds like her style of speech. Written in standard American writing method - indentation, capitalization, spelling, etc.

And I still have to wonder whose idea that RN was. Obviously Patsy wrote it (unless you're docg), but did John help her? At this point I'm thinking he had to know what was up and that JonBenet was not okay (and had not been kidnapped) by the time they called 911.

one question, was the starter note done with the same sharpie pen that the ransom note was done in. that would be too coincidental. am i right, but most people don't write with sharpies, unless they're writing something permanent like on a box. teachers use them a lot. most people use ink pens

angelwngs said:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.....I could be wrong, but I think Patsy really enjoyed being in the spotlight....
I don't think you're wrong at all. We see this fact over and over again in Patsy's life and behavior. She was a beauty queen, after all. She LIVED for the spotlight.

southcitymom said:
I don't think you're wrong at all. We see this fact over and over again in Patsy's life and behavior. She was a beauty queen, after all. She LIVED for the spotlight.
you're right, until she was in the spotlight for murdering her daughter or being involved in a cover-up.

ellen13 said:
you're right, until she was in the spotlight for murdering her daughter or being involved in a cover-up.
This is horrible to say but even in interviews when she was viewed as a prime suspect (or politically correctly, when she had not been ruled out as a suspect)...she seemed to 'take over' the spotlight. It often seemed as if John couldn't get a word in for her flamboyantly going on and on and on......

"This is horrible to say but even in interviews when she was viewed as a prime suspect (or politically correctly, when she had not been ruled out as a suspect)...she seemed to 'take over' the spotlight. It often seemed as if John couldn't get a word in for her flamboyantly going on and on and on......"

Horrible but true, angelwngs.

Repeat question from ellen13 above,

Were the practice RNs (AKA invitations) in the same Sharpie type pen? I agree ellen13, who writes regular notes on regular paper in a Sharpie? The ink soaks through, the tip is a bit too big for regular sized writing, etc.

Are there any of the practice RNs available for viewing on the web?

I have always been under the impression that the practice RNs were exactly and quite obviously that, i.e., practice RNs in same handwriting, same pen, etc., presumably by the person who wrote the RN.

Patsy admitted to writing a so-called practice invitation in the same handwriting, same pen, same style, etc. as the RN, but not to writing the RN... all on the same note pad??? :eek:

Are there any direct quotes/audio/video of Patsy talking about the practice invitation notes, not second/third-hand reports?

ST, page 60

...the US Secret Service eventually determined that one of those pens, a pre-November 1992 water-based ink Sharpie, was used to write both the practice and actual ransom notes. The Secret Service, which maintains a huge database on inks because of its federally mandated assignment to chase forgers, told us, "The ink [on the notes] is unique in the collection of approximately 7,000 standards from the Ink Library."

That meant that whoever wrote the notes used that exact pen from that cup. They not only left the pad behind but, when they finished, neatly put the felt-tip pen in its container.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back