Richard

Reaction score
Charlotte Marcella Moriarty
Missing since June 21, 1977 from Haaula, Honolulu County, Hawaii
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: August 2, 1945
Age at Time of Disappearance: 31 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6", 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blue eyes; brown hair.
Marks, Scars: Pierced ears, scar on chin, scar on leg.
Jewelry: Possibly wearing a turquoise wedding band.
Dentals: Chipped upper left incisor.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Charlotte Moriarty and her son Marx both disappeared on June 21, 1977, leaving behind only a baby's stroller at a Haaula bus stop. Moriarty took her son out for a walk at about 9 a.m., and the stroller was found at 1 p.m. at a bus stop at 54-295 Kamehameha Hwy. Marx's father, Mark Barnes, filed a missing persons report on July 10, 1977, more than two weeks after he found the stroller.

In the report, Barnes explained to police that Moriarty had "been missing on several prior occasions, but she had returned home all right" and that he thought this incident was another one of Moriarty's "'taking off' for no reason."

Ms. Moriarty's family however believes she would never leave without contacting family and did not disappear on her own accord, as her young daughter was due to visit her mother and her new half-brother the summer they went missing. Ms. Moriarty's family disputes much of the information Barnes gave to the police. According to them, Ms. Moriarty was not married to Barnes, and Marx was not 2 months old when he disappeared, but 6 months old. The family believes that Ms. Moriarty and her son, Marx, met with foul play.

Neither Marx nor his mother has been seen or heard from again.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Honolulu Police Department
808-529-3064

Agency Case Number: F50056

NCIC Number: M-741876289
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Honolulu Star-Bulletin
The Doe Network: Case File 519DFH

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/519dfhi.html

This month marks the 30 year anniversary of the disappearance of Charlotte and her son Max.

barnes_marx2.jpg
barnes_marx_ap.jpg

Missing Since
: June 21, 1977 from Haaula, Hawaii
Classification
: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth
: January 17, 1977
Height and Weight
: 2'0, 14 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics
: Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Marx may be known as Marx Moriarty, Marx Panama Barnes or Marx Moriarty Barnes.

Details of Disappearance

Marx and his mother, Charlotte Moriarty, apparently went on a walk at approximately 9:00 a.m. on June 21, 1977 in their hometown of Haaula, Hawaii. They departed from their residence on Hanaimoa Street. Marx's stroller was located at approximately 1:00 p.m. that day at a bus stop at 54-295 Kamehameha Highway in Haaula. There was no sign of either Charlotte or her son and they have never been seen again.

Charlotte's boyfriend and Marx's father, Mark Barnes, discovered the stroller. Mark did not file missing persons' reports with authorities until three weeks after Charlotte and Marx were last seen. Mark claimed that Charlotte left their home without warning prior to this disappearance and he initially believed this incident was similar in nature. Mark then told investigators that Charlotte was under a psychiatrist's care at the time she and Marx vanished and Mark was concerned for his son's welfare. Charlotte's family disputes the majority of Mark's statements. He made several inaccurate reports to authorities at the time, such as claiming Charlotte was his wife when they were not married. Mark also listed his son's age as "three months," when Charlotte's sister maintains that Marx was five months old in June 1977.

Neighbors said that Mark and Charlotte seemed like a typical couple from appearances and were sometimes overheard arguing. Mark now resides in California with his wife. She told the Hawaiian media that Mark told her about Charlotte and Marx's disappearances and also said that he and Charlotte were not married. Mark has never been charged with any involvement in Charlotte or Marx's cases.

Charlotte's older daughter had planned to visit her mother's family in Hawaii during the summer of 1977. Her family maintains that Charlotte would never had disappeared with Marx without alerting someone to her plans. Charlotte's daughter and sister have investigated their cases since 1977, working with authorities and psychic detectives. A psychic claimed in 2001 that she believed Charlotte and Marx had been murdered shortly after their disappearances and were buried on the windward side of Oahu in Hawaii. There has not been any evidence to support this theory. Charlotte's sister has started the process of having Charlotte declared legally deceased, which was suggested by Hawaiian authorities. Charlotte and Marx's cases remain open and unsolved.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Honolulu Police Department
808-529-3115
OR
Hawaii Department of the Attorney General
808-587-2672
Charley Project
NCMEC
NamUs

Bumping case up. There are not a lot of cases from Hawaii on these boards.

http://www.metnews.com/articles/brad031103.htm

Tuesday, March 11, 2003

C.A. Throws Out Suit Against Lawyer for Linking Client’s Husband to Possible Homicides 20 Years Earlier

A lawsuit claiming that a Northern California divorce lawyer injured her client’s husband by telling police the man may have been involved in the disappearance of his former girlfriend and their son two decades earlier was a SLAPP, the First District Court of Appeal ruled yesterday.

Justice James Lambden, in an unpublished opinion for Div. One, said a trial judge erred in ruling that Mark Palmer Barnes could sue Healdsburg attorney Judith Stadler for intentional infliction of emotional distress. Stadler’s report to law enforcement was absolutely privileged, Lambden concluded...

...Mark Barnes waited 20 days to report that Moriarty and the child was missing. He said he had not done so earlier because she had taken off for no reason before and he assumed she had done so again...

... After hearing from the reporter, Janine Barnes contacted Stadler, and the two of them contacted the FBI and the Sebastopol Police Department. A police sergeant, Barnes later testified, told Stadler she should get a “no-contact TRO and stay-order from the house.”

Barnes also testified that she got a phone call from her brother-in-law, telling her that her husband had a gun. Seeking a TRO, Stadler submitted a declaration saying Mark Barnes may been involved in “multiple homicides of Husband’s prior relationship and child” and that he had a gun, in violation of a previous TRO.

A new TRO was entered, limiting Mark Barnes’ contact with the minor children. The parties and their counsel later stipulated to an order barring public comment by any of them regarding the disappearance unless Barnes was charged with a crime, or designated a suspect by police...

Marx Barnes missing from Hauula, HI, has been recovered. Please discontinue dissemination of this poster. Your participation in this program has made a valuable contribution to this recovery.
Please remove and discard any posters on this case that you have placed in public view.
Thank you for your support.

I have no other information now, but I will be looking for some.

I can now confirm Marx has been found alive and well, but due to circumstances any information is not being released.

34 years... and he is ALIVE people.
ALIVE. Seriously???
Even though his father didn't report him missing for 20 DAYS... he didn't kill his baby?
Yet, people were so convinced he was dead... just like they are so convinced about so many current cases. Makes me think twice.

Did his mother take off with him and she's still alive or died later?

Did he get adopted out after his mother was killed? (If she was.)

How did they find him?
Did he realize the truth himself?
Or did someone else come forward?
Did they have his DNA in the system somehow and he got entered in for some other reason?

I don't want to know his name, or what he looks like, or where he lives.

I want to know if there was a homicide committed here... if we still have another missing person... what the situation was for the last 34 years.
I would think they can find a way to give that information out without harming Marx, anyone else, or any case they might have....

34 years...
my cousin's MURDER isn't even solved from the year Marx disappeared... and they found him ALIVE? I cannot get over this.

I want to know HOW that happened... what can we learn from it, maybe it can help in other cases... yet we won't know what happened???
I think I'm going to scream.

Is Charlotte Moriarty still missing?

I just found out his mother is in fact no longer missing. She was not murdered.

Any more updates? I can't find anything online...

There won't be anything to protect the privacy of the individuals involved.

That seems optimistic. If I were the BF who'd been accused of murder for 30 years (and, seemingly, had it negatively affect my unrelated custody proceedings), I'd want to know what the hell the story was... and, if no one would tell me, I'd make a stink/try to publicly clear my name.

Precisely. What about the wrongly accused guy?
Not to mention the possible impact on other cases, when people don't behave like we think they should?

So this guy waits 20 days to report them missing and everyone assumes he murdered them... the woman was even supposed to be declared dead.

Now, they are both alive???

So, logic tells us that she took off with her son, until we are told something different.

Privacy or not, there is a man who is widely believed to be a killer. His name should be cleared.

Unless these two people were abducted and held for the last 34 years, (in a Jaycee type case) that information should be released.

They can just say "Charlotte took off with her son and assumed new identities for them both. They are both alive and well.
There was no foul play or criminal activity involved on the part of this boyfriend/father Mark Barnes or anyone else."

That isn't going to violate their privacy. No location, no names, nothing except clearing an innocent man's name.
I hope he DOES make a stink. I certainly would.

Wow! Hearing this gives me new hope for some of the other cases out there...just because it's been years doesn't mean the person can't be located.

Wow! Hearing this gives me new hope for some of the other cases out there...just because it's been years doesn't mean the person can't be located.

This is exactly why this case does need to be cleared up, in a way that doesn't jeopardize the "privacy" of the individuals involved.
At least here at Websleuths. People NEED to see that there is hope! They need to see that people can be found.

The fact that a baby went missing 34 years ago and was found alive... and nobody is talking about it? That is crazy to me.

It also might make people think twice about the next parent or spouse that they jump to conclusions on...
This father waited 20 days, because she had taken off before.
Everyone thought that meant he had killed them... but he hadn't.

He didn't do everything perfect... but he wasn't guilty.

There is a Barnes Marx on Facebook.. lives in California..interesting daily status..I dont know if he is who I think he is.

I was curious as well and searched for more information, but there really is nothing out there. I found one suggestion that this might be Charlotte:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/460ufhi.html
The interesting thing is how that woman pronounces her name...as Ah (she has no teeth) as in argument...sounds a bit like Char. However, the eye color doesn't match. From the one small picture of Charlotte I couldn't tell that her eyes were blue, so only in case they made a mistake and her eyes are hazel, this could be here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back