GUILTY NY - Angela Correa, 15, raped & murdered, Peekskill, 15 Nov 1989

Amraann

Former Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060920/ap_on_re_us/conviction_questioned;_ylt=AmhRY7NJeOvMTt6cRhLmp29H2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-

They coerced a statement from this guy when he was a scared 16 YO.

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - A man who was convicted in 1990 of raping and murdering a high school classmate when he was 16 was freed from prison Wednesday after DNA evidence implicated another man.

I am all for rapists being sent to prison but I have huge issues with the police coercing statements that put innocent people in prison because that is not keeping society safe.
ANd now it will cost the tax payers a ton to reemburse this man for his false imprisonment.

Amraann said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060920/ap_on_re_us/conviction_questioned;_ylt=AmhRY7NJeOvMTt6cRhLmp29H2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-

They coerced a statement from this guy when he was a scared 16 YO.

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - A man who was convicted in 1990 of raping and murdering a high school classmate when he was 16 was freed from prison Wednesday after DNA evidence implicated another man.

I am all for rapists being sent to prison but I have huge issues with the police coercing statements that put innocent people in prison because that is not keeping society safe.
ANd now it will cost the tax payers a ton to reemburse this man for his false imprisonment.
Wow, he's been in prison for 16 years. Not only will the taxpayers pay heavily for this mistake, now they'll have the expense of housing the real rapist for the next umpteen years. I hope this guy finds his way in the free world after being locked up half of his life.

To me the worst part about this is this mans life was taken away from him for all this time.
And it has happened a lot before, and I will dare say it, mostly to the poor and so called" minorities". Many have been put to death falsely after having "confessions" beat out of them.

Thank goodness for DNA now . Not only to save innocent people but to help get the actual perps off the streets.

Also some people think it's just great to torture people these days to get information. Well, that just doesn't work because most people being tortured will say anything to stop it and the "information" is worthless.

I don't know why LE do things like that. You would think that they would want to get the person that did the crime...not just a confession from anyone for the sake of getting one. I will never understand that.

In cases like this I think the LE that got the confession out of an innocent person should pay a price too. They are the guilty partys. I wonder if they ever even feel guilty for sending an innocent person to prison.

That is a long time to be in prison for something that someone else did. I think it would be hard to come back into society and adjust because so much has changed. He was a teenager back then and now he is a man. Sad that that happened. I wonder if the person that was raped identified this man in a lineup or anything? Yes, thank God for DNA now.

The DNA evidence that did not match was available at the time of his trial.

For whatever reason the Jury chose to ignore it. Back then DNA was a relatively new technology.

From March 2007:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/15/nyregion/15plea.html

The inmate, Steven Cunningham, entered his plea during a hearing in State Supreme Court here, six months after DNA evidence cleared Jeffrey Mark Deskovic, who was convicted of raping and murdering Angela Correa in Peekskill in 1989...

Mr. Cunningham pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and felony murder, because the killing of Ms. Correa occurred during the commission of another crime, the rape... and will receive another term of 20 years to life.

The clock on Mr. Cunningham’s new prison term will not begin ticking until 2013, when he becomes eligible for parole on his first conviction...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back