Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Media Exposure - #1

Hybrid View

Media Exposure - #1

We have had the first article printed detailing the recent stage of the investigation:

http://hmbreview.com/articles/2006/0...ws/story02.txt

I have started this thread to provide a means of keeping track off all media exposure that the case generates - hopefully this is the first step in a long series of media ateention that can spread the word of our search.

Excellent job Doug ! Your tenacity would humble even the fiercest pit bull.
    joepoke

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doogie
    We have had the first article printed detailing the recent stage of the investigation:

http://hmbreview.com/articles/2006/0...ws/story02.txt

I have started this thread to provide a means of keeping track off all media exposure that the case generates - hopefully this is the first step in a long series of media ateention that can spread the word of our search.
    Doogie, did you notice that Marc corrected Anna's eye color in the story's lead? He went to the archives, got out the old story, and was eager to put things right. I think he put a great deal of effort and heart into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Annasmom
    Doogie, did you notice that Marc corrected Anna's eye color in the story's lead? He went to the archives, got out the old story, and was eager to put things right. I think he put a great deal of effort and heart into this.
    Marc called me two or three times "pre-publication" to read portions of the article to me to check his accuracy. One of the specific questions he asked was Anna's eye and hair color (blond when disappeared, but most likely brown today). He did a great job and wanted to get it right. He did!

The Actual Newspaper

I just picked up a copy of the Half Moon Bay Review. Our story is on the front page (fortunately, below the fold, so that I don't have to see my face every time I pass a newsrack) and continues inside, where it has that last known photo of Anna and a copy of GW's note with the date Jan. 16 on it.

Strange Reaction

The silence here is deafening. I know a lot of people in this town, and yet I have had not a single note, e-mail or telephone call from anyone locally in response to the considerable coverage in the Review. (Doogie did get a couple of calls.) My home address was on all the fliers distributed on Purisima Creek Road which were mailed Monday morning. You would think someone would send a note saying "We fish in the creek all the time and have never found anything" or "we live here and didn't know about this story" or SOMETHING. As it is, they either don't know what to say or have made up their minds already, regardless of the facts, or they don't want to hear about it, or they think I'm obsessed. I could really use some advice from you guys about how to handle this.

I wouldn't fret yet. I just received calls yesterday - mail responses would probably start tomorrow. My hope is that the responses we get are limited to people with information to offer, not people sending notes of sympathy or encouragment (while appreciated in the spirit that they are sent, I want to focus on moving forward). If we only receive a small number of messages from people with new evidence to offer, that is a success. It means that we have found out things that we did not know, and it means that perhaps we have uncovered everything that the locals have to offer.

As far as the question of whether people perceive that you are obsessed: I doubt that anyone could come to that conclusion, but if they do, screw 'em. Whether your enevitable reunion with Anna occurs in this earthly realm or the after-life, you can say to her in all honesty, "I never gave up looking for you." The peace in the knowledge that your daughter knows that fact will make the petty perceptions of a few seem trivial in comparison.

The silence here is deafening. I know a lot of people in this town, and yet I have had not a single note, e-mail or telephone call from anyone locally in response to the considerable coverage in the Review. (Doogie did get a couple of calls.) My home address was on all the fliers distributed on Purisima Creek Road which were mailed Monday morning. You would think someone would send a note saying "We fish in the creek all the time and have never found anything" or "we live here and didn't know about this story" or SOMETHING. As it is, they either don't know what to say or have made up their minds already, regardless of the facts, or they don't want to hear about it, or they think I'm obsessed. I could really use some advice from you guys about how to handle this.
    Hugs to you Annasmom. Indeed its weird no one has responded. I wish I had an answer for why people havent responded. But couple thoughts, the article is fairly new, its been only 2 days since it was published, if someone wanted to send you a letter in the mail it would take a little longer right? Maybe they need time, like a weekend, to write a letter? Or maybe they dont want to upset you any further because they dont think they have anything to report. I highly doubt they think you are obessed with it, they probably just dont know how to approach you on this. Maybe if there is still no responses, you can re-distribute the flyers every 6 months? Or every anniversary that Anna disappeared? That way the word keeps spreading and the community gets reminded once again that Anna still has not been found.

Anna'smom, do not be discouraged. Give it a little time. Unlike Sisyphus*, you have many shoulders here to help.

*Sisyphus (SIS-i-fus) King of Corinth, condemned in Tartarus to an eternity of rolling a boulder uphill then watching it roll back down again.
    joepoke

Sherlock- that is true for me as well. I tried logging out and the last thread that I could see was the "Theory #4" one. Anything below that is not accessible for guests.

I am sure this is by design though, and I would imagine that it is the same with all forums?

ETA.... checked again. This seems to happen only with Spotlight Cases.

With the Ali Gilmore forum, guests only see down to "husband gets Gilmore's assets".

With the ANS forum, I could see 8 pages of threads.

*Perhaps* this setting could be changed.... or it may be in place to lower bandwidth usage (I really know nothing about messabe boards and how that would affect bandwidth- just a guess!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jodibug View Post
    *Perhaps* this setting could be changed.... or it may be in place to lower bandwidth usage (I really know nothing about messabe boards and how that would affect bandwidth- just a guess!)
    I think it is just that for guests, the default is that they only see last month's posts; for logged in users, the default is that they see all posts. There's a drop-down box at the bottom of the forum under Display Options that even guests can change to see postings since the beginning.

Whilst digging around on the 'net, I found this:

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
    THE SAN FRANCISCO CHRONICLE
    April 29, 1996

A MISSING CHILD

Editor -- In Thursday morning's paper you mention several disappearances of children in the Bay Area, saying that Angela Bugay was the ``first in a series'' . . . My daughter, Anna Christian Waters, disappeared from our home in Half Moon Bay in 1973 at the age of 5; the case has never been closed in San Mateo County, and while I know it has been a lifetime since her disappearance, I feel somehow compelled to let people know she was never accounted for and that her disappearance was never resolved.

I wrote Marc Klaas recently and asked him if he thought I should simply put this behind me (the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children still circulates an age-advanced picture of Anna). He said that he didn't believe, had they not found Polly Klaas' body, he would ever be able to give up looking for her until the case was resolved in some way.

MICHAELE BENEDICT

Quote Originally Posted by Gina_M View Post
    Whilst digging around on the 'net, I found this:...
    When I first started looking into Anna's case and was wondered if I should contact Annasmom (we hadn't communicated in a decade or so) and possibly "reopen wounds" that had perhaps healed, it was this letter to the editor that convinced me that I should make contact. And the rest is history...

Missing Pieces Radio now has the transcript completed...

http://missingpiecesshow.homestead.c...20Archive.html

Thank you Susan Malacari & Todd!

Cubby is online now 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Thank you Sherlock!

I too am hoping, and praying everytime I see a post.......
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

I have to make psych myself down so that I don't get too excited, especially when a see a thread entry by Dr. D, Annasmom or another family member.

For the last couple of weeks, I have had a gut feeling that an answer would be coming down yesterday. Well, yesterday came and went with no phone call, so evidently my gut has no clue.

As much as we hope and pray that we have found Anna, we must keep ourselves open to the possibility that the test will be negative. If that is the case, after a period of weeping and gnashing of teeth, we will need to take stock of what we have discovered and develop a plan for moving forward from that point. If the test comes back as a match, we will need to consult with LE as to what role we can play in assisting them in their futher investigation.

Either way, the results will not be the end of the search - only the end of this portion of the search.

Just curious Doogie, was there a specific reason that you thought it would be yesterday. If you can share that.

I think that if the test comes back negative it is going to knock the wind out of a lot of us but we will recover and move on. It might just take a day or to. We have gotten our hopes up more than once that we were maybe on to something but this time is different for me anyway. I honestly will be shocked if "C" is not Anna, but then agaain, I have never given up completely on the little girl at Synanon.
    Retired 08/03/03

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205 View Post
    Just curious Doogie, was there a specific reason that you thought it would be yesterday. If you can share that.
    Absolutely no rational reason to belive it - I just had a "intuition" or "gut-feeling" that yesterday was the day. Now you see why I do so poorly at gambling...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow205 View Post
    ...We have gotten our hopes up more than once that we were maybe on to something but this time is different for me anyway. I honestly will be shocked if "C" is not Anna...
    I agree - this just feels right to me. Again, this is more of a feeling than a rational deduction, but I remain optimistic.

iNTERESTEDWOMAN is offline I'll trade you a bushel of corn for a barrel of oil.
    I wonder if "C" turns out not to be Anna, (Fingers crossed for the best), if she will be willing to have her DNA results stored in a national database (sorry can't remember the name of it) for missing people? Even if she's not Anna, there are so many people still looking for their lost daughter, sister...etc. I think of all the Anna Waters and Rose Coles in the country, who are missing but not forgotten. If she's not a match for Anna, she could be a match for someone else who is desperately being searched for.

Quote Originally Posted by iNTERESTEDWOMAN View Post
    I wonder if "C" turns out not to be Anna, (Fingers crossed for the best), if she will be willing to have her DNA results stored in a national database (sorry can't remember the name of it) for missing people? Even if she's not Anna, there are so many people still looking for their lost daughter, sister...etc. I think of all the Anna Waters and Rose Coles in the country, who are missing but not forgotten. If she's not a match for Anna, she could be a match for someone else who is desperately being searched for.
    If I am not mistaken, that was discussed with C at the very beginning, and she was in agreement to it, or there was no choice. I am not sure which, but I remember her saying that her DNA results would be stored.

every morning i wake up and check the threads before work and come home hoping for good news. we are geting closer and closer to finding anna i can feel it

Last night and today, in between living my real life of dr. visits, hair cuts, shopping, etc... I studied the Anna photos so closely for the hundredth time.

The resemblence in uncanny and I truly believe this is Anna! She has won me over and I pray that I am not wrong....That we are all not wrong!

Last night and today, in between living my real life of dr. visits, hair cuts, shopping, etc... I studied the Anna photos so closely for the hundredth time.

The resemblence in uncanny and I truly believe this is "our" Anna! She has won me over and I pray that I am not wrong....That we are all not wrong!
    Last edited by mfmangel1; 04-27-2007 at 03:51 AM. Reason: mispelling

Gina that was absolutely awesome! I wanted to add a little something...on the new age progression slide, when you say Anna is turning 40 this year, perhaps with that you could add her actual birth date under it, in case someone recognizes the date. Again, that was really really good, and "here comes the sun" of course is so perfect!

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast