Media Exposure - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent job Doug ! Your tenacity would humble even the fiercest pit bull.

Dr. Doogie said:
We have had the first article printed detailing the recent stage of the investigation:

http://hmbreview.com/articles/2006/09/20/news/local_news/story02.txt

I have started this thread to provide a means of keeping track off all media exposure that the case generates - hopefully this is the first step in a long series of media ateention that can spread the word of our search.
Doogie, did you notice that Marc corrected Anna's eye color in the story's lead? He went to the archives, got out the old story, and was eager to put things right. I think he put a great deal of effort and heart into this.

Annasmom said:
Doogie, did you notice that Marc corrected Anna's eye color in the story's lead? He went to the archives, got out the old story, and was eager to put things right. I think he put a great deal of effort and heart into this.
Marc called me two or three times "pre-publication" to read portions of the article to me to check his accuracy. One of the specific questions he asked was Anna's eye and hair color (blond when disappeared, but most likely brown today). He did a great job and wanted to get it right. He did!

I just picked up a copy of the Half Moon Bay Review. Our story is on the front page (fortunately, below the fold, so that I don't have to see my face every time I pass a newsrack) and continues inside, where it has that last known photo of Anna and a copy of GW's note with the date Jan. 16 on it.

The silence here is deafening. I know a lot of people in this town, and yet I have had not a single note, e-mail or telephone call from anyone locally in response to the considerable coverage in the Review. (Doogie did get a couple of calls.) My home address was on all the fliers distributed on Purisima Creek Road which were mailed Monday morning. You would think someone would send a note saying "We fish in the creek all the time and have never found anything" or "we live here and didn't know about this story" or SOMETHING. As it is, they either don't know what to say or have made up their minds already, regardless of the facts, or they don't want to hear about it, or they think I'm obsessed. I could really use some advice from you guys about how to handle this.

I wouldn't fret yet. I just received calls yesterday - mail responses would probably start tomorrow. My hope is that the responses we get are limited to people with information to offer, not people sending notes of sympathy or encouragment (while appreciated in the spirit that they are sent, I want to focus on moving forward). If we only receive a small number of messages from people with new evidence to offer, that is a success. It means that we have found out things that we did not know, and it means that perhaps we have uncovered everything that the locals have to offer.

As far as the question of whether people perceive that you are obsessed: I doubt that anyone could come to that conclusion, but if they do, screw 'em. Whether your enevitable reunion with Anna occurs in this earthly realm or the after-life, you can say to her in all honesty, "I never gave up looking for you." The peace in the knowledge that your daughter knows that fact will make the petty perceptions of a few seem trivial in comparison.

Annasmom said:
The silence here is deafening. I know a lot of people in this town, and yet I have had not a single note, e-mail or telephone call from anyone locally in response to the considerable coverage in the Review. (Doogie did get a couple of calls.) My home address was on all the fliers distributed on Purisima Creek Road which were mailed Monday morning. You would think someone would send a note saying "We fish in the creek all the time and have never found anything" or "we live here and didn't know about this story" or SOMETHING. As it is, they either don't know what to say or have made up their minds already, regardless of the facts, or they don't want to hear about it, or they think I'm obsessed. I could really use some advice from you guys about how to handle this.

Hugs to you Annasmom. Indeed its weird no one has responded. I wish I had an answer for why people havent responded. But couple thoughts, the article is fairly new, its been only 2 days since it was published, if someone wanted to send you a letter in the mail it would take a little longer right? Maybe they need time, like a weekend, to write a letter? Or maybe they dont want to upset you any further because they dont think they have anything to report. I highly doubt they think you are obessed with it, they probably just dont know how to approach you on this. Maybe if there is still no responses, you can re-distribute the flyers every 6 months? Or every anniversary that Anna disappeared? That way the word keeps spreading and the community gets reminded once again that Anna still has not been found.

Hi everyone,

It's been some time since I've been on the site and apologize for not staying current.

Obsessed no, determined DEFINITELY!!!!! Anna and shared the same birthday and as it approaches, I think the article was timely and most definitely reminded the community that Anna is still out there.

K

kshamgochian said:
Hi everyone,

It's been some time since I've been on the site and apologize for not staying current.

Obsessed no, determined DEFINITELY!!!!! Anna and shared the same birthday and as it approaches, I think the article was timely and most definitely reminded the community that Anna is still out there.

K
Great so see you online, K. K is one of the girls born in SF on the same day as Anna that we looked at when we were researching the adoptee from Lodi that we thought might be Anna. It wasn't until K and I had exchanged a couple of emails that we realized that she also was Anna's best friend in kindergarten - an amazing coincidence!

Did your mother (who was a kindergarten teacher at the school) and Anna's teacher ever get registered here at WS?

My mom is completely computer/technology challenged so I don't know if she ever was able to figure out the link that I sent her via email. I will try her again though, she had the Geek Squad out for a visit and might be feeling willing to give it another shot.

Annasmom said:
Anna'smom, do not be discouraged. Give it a little time. Unlike Sisyphus*, you have many shoulders here to help.

*Sisyphus (SIS-i-fus) King of Corinth, condemned in Tartarus to an eternity of rolling a boulder uphill then watching it roll back down again.

Joe Ford said:
Annasmom, do not be discouraged. Give it a little time. Unlike Sisyphus*, you have many shoulders here to help.
*Sisyphus (SIS-i-fus) King of Corinth, condemned in Tartarus to an eternity of rolling a boulder uphill then watching it roll back down again.

Thank you, Joe. Doogie's wonderful words apply to you, too: " Whether your inevitable reunion with Anna occurs in this earthly realm or the after-life, you can say to her in all honesty, 'I never gave up looking for you.' The peace in the knowledge that your daughter knows that fact will make the petty perceptions of a few seem trivial in comparison."

Annasmom, "obsessed" would be the last word I would ever in a million years think of parents searching for a child who has been missing for even a week, let alone 34+ years. Caring, compassionate, dogged, loving, focused, tenacious, etc. might come to mind... but never obsessed. Someone who could think of the word "obsessed" at a time like this has never known the loss of a child in the blink of an eye. You, your brother, Joe and Doogie probably have no idea how very highly you are thought of in this online community. My own life has been enriched by each of you.

Annasmom said:
Thank you, Joe. Doogie's wonderful words apply to you, too: " Whether your inevitable reunion with Anna occurs in this earthly realm or the after-life, you can say to her in all honesty, 'I never gave up looking for you.' The peace in the knowledge that your daughter knows that fact will make the petty perceptions of a few seem trivial in comparison."
Joe IS Anna's true father... Joe has proven beyond a doubt that HE is Anna's father. He's has never given up looking for his daughter. Anna truly is lucky to have such a man in her life; whether she knows it or not.

Sherlock has discovered that the Review story is being picked up by lots of other sites, even one in the Philippines.

Annasmom said:
Sherlock has discovered that the Review story is being picked up by lots of other sites, even one in the Philippines.

WONDERFUL news!!!!! :woohoo:

Annasmom-

The word "obsessed" would never enter my mind when thinking about you and your family.

Determined, yet gracious is what I think of. All of you are very highly thought of here at WS.

People will come forward. I don't know how you have been patient for as long as you have, but just hold on to your patience a bit longer.

I truly believe the renewed publicity will bring the results we are all hoping and praying for.

mfmangel1 said:
Annasmom-

The word "obsessed" would never enter my mind when thinking about you and your family.

Determined, yet gracious is what I think of. All of you are very highly thought of here at WS.

People will come forward. I don't know how you have been patient for as long as you have, but just hold on to your patience a bit longer.

I truly believe the renewed publicity will bring the results we are all hoping and praying for.
I agree with Mfm. I was taught as a very young girl that patience is a virtue.

Does anyone here at the forum have any ties to reporters in the Seattle area? It would be a good idea to get a story there because of the phone number left in GW's wallet.

If someone could reach a reporter in Seattle wouldn't it be a good idea to have them mention the phone # that was found in GW wallet? Might be the break we need.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail