IL IL - Kimberly McClaskey, 17, London Mills, 16 June 1983

sweetpea657

Reaction score
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: June 16, 1983 from London Mills, Illinois
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: June 15, 1966
Height and Weight: 5'1, 98 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, hazel eyes. McClaskey has a four-inch burn scar on her upper left thigh. She has a mole on the left side of her neck. Both of McClaskey's ears are pierced three times each.
Medical Conditions: McClaskey was seven to eight months pregnant at the time of her June 1983 disappearance.

Details of Disappearance
McClaskey disappeared en route to her cousin's residence in London Mills, Illinois on June 16, 1983. She was last seen walking along Route 116, which is one mile east of the city. McClaskey may have attempted to hitchhike at the time. She planned to return home later that evening. McClaskey never arrived at her cousin's house and has not been seen again. Her clothing and wallet were located in the Spoon River in July 1983, one month after her initial disappearance. The river is approximately three miles from London Mills.

Donald Leroy Evans claimed to be McClaskey's killer in 1993, ten years after her disappearance. He was sentenced to death for the murder of a young girl in Mississippi. Authorities are uncertain if Evans's statements are true. He has claimed to have been involved in numerous cases throughout the years, including the 1980 Kentucky disappearance of Randy Sellers. Evans has never been charged in connection with either case. He told a reporter that McClaskey's remains could be found in Iowa near the Quad Cities of Moline, Rock Island, Davenport and Bettendorf, but that has never been proven.

A child discovered skeletal remains in Fulton County, Illinois in 1989. He handed the body over to authorities four years later in 1993. Investigators initially believed that the remains were those of McClaskey, but DNA testing ruled out the theory. There was speculation that convicted murderer William Reinbold (nicknamed "The Hammer") was connected to McClaskey's case. Authorities stated that he has a history of attacking young brunette women. Reinbold is scheduled to be released from an Illinois prison in 2019. He has never been charged in connection with McClaskey's disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mcclaskey_kimberly.html

Kimberly's remains were identified in September 2006.

Genetic testing announced this week shows that a skull discovered in northwest Fulton County nearly two decades ago was that of Kimberly McClaskey, 17, of Canton, last seen July, 14, 1983, outside London Mills.
Prayers for her mother, Elizabeth Murphy. May Kimberly's killer(s) be caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/091906/REG_BB0IVSAT.053.shtml

Kimberly Dawn McClaskey went missing on June 16, 1983 from London Mills, Fulton County, Illinois. She had been on her way to visit her cousin and was last seen hitchhiking on Route 116, which is one mile east of the city. She planned to return home later that evening. McClaskey was never heard from again.

She was located deceased in 1989 by a young boy who thought they were remains of ancient indians. On October 16, 1994, the boy brought the remains to the sheriff’s office. In 2001, authorities contacted an Illinois police lab to see if mitochondrial DNA testing could conclusively show whether the remains were from McClaskey or not.

On September 17, 2006, DNA testing confirmed the remains are six million more times likely to be of a child of Kimberly's mother.

Do we have more info on the boy who found the remains? I mean why didnt he hand them over right away? How old was he? it sounds very strange to me that nthey were kept all this time? Why did he suddenly realise he neede to hand them in?

Here is the information which the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) has on Kimberly. Going to the link, you can see a photo of her, along with an age progressed image of how she might look today, if still alive.

Kimberly was 8 months pregnant at the time of her disappearance. Many have believed that she was abducted and murdered by one Bill "The Hammer" Reinbold, who was later convicted and imprisoned for another murder.

----------------------------------
KIMBERLY DAWN MCCLASKEY

Case Type: Non Family Abduction
Missing Date: Jul 16, 1983
DOB: Jun 15, 1966
Sex: Female
Race: White
Age Now: 40
Height: 5'1" (155 cm)
Weight: 98 lbs (44 kg)
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Hazel

Missing City: LONDON MILLS
Missing State : IL
Missing Country: United States

Case Number: NCMC603359

Circumstances: Kimberly's photo is shown age-progressed to 37 years. She was on her way to London Mills, Illinois to visit a cousin, and planned to be home that night. Her belongings were found on July 16, 1983 in the Spoon River, London Mills, Illinois. Her hair is blondish-brown. She has a 4-inch burn scar on the back of her right thigh.

Source:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

Link:

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseNum=603359&orgPrefix=NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

kmcklaskey.jpg
This is Kim McClaskey, I wanted to preserve her photo before it is removed from missing persons data bases.

A Fulton County coroner's jury Thursday, ruled the death of a pregnant teenager a homicide. Kim McClaskey disappeared 24 years ago.

Kim McClaskey's mother says even though the killer has not been found the jury's decision helps bring more closure for her family, but she still hopes justice will be served.

http://www.week.com/news/local/9342491.html

I was wondering if anyone knows any more info on this case? I am glad the family has some closure.

Wow, 24 years. Just bolsters my "need" to be here and try.

Hate to say it, but what have we learned? They'd best look hard at the father of her baby or any other male she had been involved with.

It took a very, very long time to bring her home and to give the family some sense of closure...but I am glad for her mother she finally knew before something happened to her. It breaks my heart even more when I hear the parents of a missing person pass on before they find out.

Rest in peace, Kim and baby. You are home now.

Now...they need justice. I agree...look at the men in her life at the time she went missing. This shouldn't be too difficult to track down with DNA evidence of the baby. I bet they can resolve this one.

Were there other bones along with her's that belonged to her baby? I'm just wondering if she might have been abducted by someone wanting to steal her baby.

VB

A Fulton County coroner's jury Thursday, ruled the death of a pregnant teenager a homicide. Kim McClaskey disappeared 24 years ago.

Kim McClaskey's mother says even though the killer has not been found the jury's decision helps bring more closure for her family, but she still hopes justice will be served.

http://www.week.com/news/local/9342491.html

I was wondering if anyone knows any more info on this case? I am glad the family has some closure.

Thank you for that information. I have added Kim's name to the Murderous Intentions "Remember Us With Kindness" memorial.

http://murderousintentions.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html

Sami

I agree with the person who said something about them wanting to steal the baby. There is no mention of recovery of a baby I wonder if someone killed her took the baby and has been raising it this whole time.

Do anyone think that maybe the father of the baby who raped her, also killed her?

I know I am missing something here. She was last seen on 116,one mile from London Mills, yet she never arrived to her cousins. She lived in Canton.
So where were the remains found? The clothing in the river 3 miles from London Mills. How did she get that close to London Mills?
Good grief 8months pregnant and hitch hiking, good grief!

Do anyone think that maybe the father of the baby who raped her, also killed her?

I have really been thinking about this and it says she was hitchiking, so more like maybe a stranger. I thought of the father or possible fathers at first too but not finding the baby's remains is very odd. Maybe it was someone wanting a baby, I hope this will be solved in her mother's lifetime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back