True Crime Scene / Family Secrets

blaize

Former Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

over here in Ireland a series called True Crime Scene is on the Discovery channel. At the moment they're showing an episode about Darlie Routier called Family Secrets.

They've basically gone over a lot of the evidence and said that there was no evidence of an intruder in the house.

Some of the things they highlight are:

If Darlie was attacked on the couch why was there no blood on or around the couch and why wasn't the couch ripped up?

Her footprints being found under the blood.

Matched fibre found on the bloody tube sock to one of Darin's from inside of the house.

Blood evidence didn't look right in that the drops of blood were the wrong shape if someone was running and there was blood spray it should have been thin and elongated.

Also the shape left by the blood under the knife disproved what Darlie was saying.

Inked Darlie's feet and had her walk and run on butcher paper & then measured her stride, this was then used to prove again that she walked rather than ran during the attacks.

Evidence of cleanup in sink found by spraying lumionol.

Fibre from the screen clinging to knife number four and then the knife was replaced in the butcher's block.

When interviewed by Det Patterson Darlie said "If I did it I don't remember".

Also looked at possibility of Darin's guilt.

When first interviewed at the scene Darin just talked about how beautiful Darlie was and how big her breasts were and that (the murder) was the biggest thing to happen in the town of Rowlett.

Darin failed the short lie detector test (four questions) asking if he knew who had placed the tube sock in the attic and if he knew who was behind the attack. Darin said the lie detector test was a setup.

Apparently Darin had threatened to kill himself when Darlie said she wanted to leave him. The second time she threatened to leave him he threatened to kill her. On both occasions he had a gun in his hand.

Proponents of Darin's guilt believe Darlie told Darin she wanted a divorce the night of the attack and that Darin waited until everyone was asleep and then attacked the family.

The exhumation of the boy's bodies was also dealt with in regard to the one bloody and unidentified fingerprint. They said that some of the boy's fingerprints were unrecoverable because the casket had leaked and the skin of the boy's fingers had become damaged so could not be excluded.

Gregory Davis Prosecuting Attorney said if he was prosecuting the case again he'd ask for the exact same sentence because she's a dangerous person and the two boys deserve justice.

That was about it and forgive me if I've left out some of it because I didn't record it just took hasty notes.

blaize

(edited for spelling & clarification)

(editied to add)

Some mention was made of a letter written by Darlie asking forgivness of the three boys. This was written before the murders. The narrator said couldn't be sure if this was meant to be a suicide note or if Darlie was asking for forgivness for what was going to happen to the boys.

blaize

blaize said:
When first interviewed at the scene Darin just talked about how beautiful Darlie was and how big her breats were and that was the biggest thing to happen in the town of Rowlett.
Great post, blaize!!! Lots of info....

But the ABOVE bolded part really struck me...WOW. I didn't know that Darin was talking like that on the scene!!!!:eek: :eek: In the midst of his boys covered in blood & dying, Darlie covered in blood....he was actually taking about her being beautiful & that she had big breasts??????

I've never heard it before, but if true....that really slants things for me.

julianne said:

But the ABOVE bolded part really struck me...WOW. I didn't know that Darin was talking like that on the scene!!!!:eek: :eek: In the midst of his boys covered in blood & dying, Darlie covered in blood....he was actually taking about her being beautiful & that she had big breasts??????

Hi Julianne, it makes Darin look as bad as Darlie really but none of his bloody footprints were found near the boys so that kind of weighs in his favour against being the direct murderer.

He's no angel though & his behaviour is far from exemplary. One of the people involved in the investigation & interviewed for Family Secrets said Darin was a "psychopathic & patological liar", sorry can't remember who it was.

Both Darin & Darlie are creepy people and are both culpable for the murders of those two boys.

Blaize

(JMO)

julianne said:

Julianne-
The jugs comment is in here somewhere, I'll thumb through the threads and try to find it, IIRC, the paramedic was the one who said Darin made mention of her *advertiser censored*, I am sure someone here can give you an exact quote...

blaize said:
Hello all,

Inked Darlie's feet and had her walk and run on butcher paper & then measured her stride, this was then used to prove again that she walked rather than ran during the attacks.
Hi blaize! Thanks for that. WOW, I did not know about the inking of the feet. It would tend to corroborate the officers testimony as well...

Mama-cita said:
Hi blaize! Thanks for that. WOW, I did not know about the inking of the feet. It would tend to corroborate the officers testimony as well...
Hi Mama-cita, I thought it was good that they brought that out too. But I really thought that Darlie saying if she did it she didn't remember it had to be a remarkably curious thing to say to an investigator.

If she was innocent or even if she genuinely had some kind of psychotic break surely she'd deny any hint of involvement?

blaize

Julianne from the trial transcripts (and this is not an exact quote but shows you that it was there -- I bolded the relative comments):

9 BY MR. GREG DAVIS:
10 Q. Detective Patterson, let me show you
11 State's Exhibit No. 27. Is this, in fact, the tape that
12 was provided to your department by KXAS?
13 A. Yes, sir.
14 Q. Have you had an opportunity to review
15 it?
16 A. No, sir, I have not.
17 Q. At the time that you saw Darin Routier
18 at Baylor Hospital on June the 6th of 1996, did you know
19 whether or not Darin Routier had discussed the deaths of
20 his two children with his wife, Darlie Routier?
21 A. No, sir.
22 Q. Did you know at that time, whether he
23 approved of their deaths or not?
24 A. No, sir.
25 Q. Did you know whether he had witnessed

Sandra M. Halsey, CSR, Official Court Reporter 332

1 their deaths?
2 A. No, sir.
3 Q. Did you know what he really knew about
4 these deaths?
5 A. Not at that time.
6 Q. You said he made some comment about his
7 wife's breasts, what exactly did he say?
8 A. I would have to review the notes to see
9 exactly what he said, but when I walked in there the first
10 thing he talked about was, how pretty she was, and she had
11 big breasts.
12 Q. How long were you with him?
13 A. In the hospital?
14 Q. Yes, sir.
15 A. Just a few minutes.
16 Q. Besides the one broken wine glass, were
17 there any other items in that house that were broken?
18 A. No, sir.
19 Q. All right.

blaize said:
Hi Mama-cita, I thought it was good that they brought that out too. But I really thought that Darlie saying if she did it she didn't remember it had to be a remarkably curious thing to say to an investigator.

If she was innocent or even if she genuinely had some kind of psychotic break surely she'd deny any hint of involvement?

blaize
I agree, I think she was just spewing the out, diarrhea of the mouth, looking to see if anything would stick. The AMNESIA stories, oh brother, yes, but very curious to say that "If I did it I don't remember", then staunchly maintain your innocence. ##ThreadJack## - I bet Ireland is beautiful, I have always wanted to visit

Mama-cita said:
I agree, I think she was just spewing the out, diarrhea of the mouth, looking to see if anything would stick. The AMNESIA stories, oh brother, yes, but very curious to say that "If I did it I don't remember", then staunchly maintain your innocence. ##ThreadJack## - I bet Ireland is beautiful, I have always wanted to visit
I don't think the true motive behind the slaughter of the boys will ever come out but in my opinion Darlie knew what she was doing and played people for all she was worth.

And yes, Ireland is beautiful but starting to get slightly chilly as Autumn draws in and our evenings become shorter. Hope you do get to visit sometime and enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed my visits to the States.

blaize

blaize said:
Hi Julianne, it makes Darin look as bad as Darlie really but none of his bloody footprints were found near the boys so that kind of weighs in his favour against being the direct murderer.

He's no angel though & his behaviour is far from exemplary. One of the people involved in the investigation & interviewed for Family Secrets said Darin was a "psychopathic & patological liar", sorry can't remember who it was.

Both Darin & Darlie are creepy people and are both culpable for the murders of those two boys.

Blaize

(JMO)

Oh that was that nut Brian Pardo. He's convinced Darin is the intruder. He labeled Darin a pathological liar.

The suicide note was written in Darlie's journal a month before the murders.

This program was aired in Canada long ago....it was a joint Australian/Quebec production for Canal D in Quebec and for the Discovery channel in english Canada.

It was a good program wasn't it. I wonder if they will get in the States at some point.

cami said:
Oh that was that nut Brian Pardo. He's convinced Darin is the intruder. He labeled Darin a pathological liar.

The suicide note was written in Darlie's journal a month before the murders.

This program was aired in Canada long ago....it was a joint Australian/Quebec production for Canal D in Quebec and for the Discovery channel in english Canada.

It was a good program wasn't it. I wonder if they will get in the States at some point.
Hi Cami, I thought it was a good program, they got a lot into one hour. As to Brian Pardo he seemed very angry at Darin & even though I don't think he can ever prove that Darin was the "intruder" a lot of the stuff he said made Darin look very bad.

It surprises me that it hasn't been shown in the States considering the interest in the case.

blaize

julianne said:

It's true...it's been mentioned by too many for it not be. As well Darin allegedly said to the officers at the scene "I bet this is the biggest thing Rowlette's ever seen" Both of them are sick if you ask me.

blaize said:
Hi Cami, I thought it was a good program, they got a lot into one hour. As to Brian Pardo he seemed very angry at Darin & even though I don't think he can ever prove that Darin was the "intruder" a lot of the stuff he said made Darin look very bad.

It surprises me that it hasn't been shown in the States considering the interest in the case.

blaize

I quickly started my vcr going when I caught it but i missed the first 10 minutes of the program.

What really stands out for me is the blood demonstrations. As well as the inked feet and the butcher paper demonstration, the cast-off blood. Lack of cast-off in the living room and the cast-off on the back of her nightshirt. It really helps me...I can visualize it. The demonstration on the cast-off blood on her nightshirt was exactly like Invisible Intruder..it landed the same way.

The perfectly round drops indicating she was walking about the house not running towels back and forth as she and Darin have indicated.

cami said:
I quickly started my vcr going when I caught it but i missed the first 10 minutes of the program.

What really stands out for me is the blood demonstrations. As well as the inked feet and the butcher paper demonstration, the cast-off blood. Lack of cast-off in the living room and the cast-off on the back of her nightshirt. It really helps me...I can visualize it. The demonstration on the cast-off blood on her nightshirt was exactly like Invisible Intruder..it landed the same way.

The perfectly round drops indicating she was walking about the house not running towels back and forth as she and Darin have indicated.
I thought the demonstrations were very damning for Darlie but naturally she seemed to just gloss over them. Same with Darin, lots of holes in their stories.

blaize

thank you Blaize! I have not seen that program.but everyone here knows my suspicion of Darin the liar. This info is new to me insomuch that he threatened her with a gun.If the program repeats please tape it,many of us in the states would like to view it.Thanx to webslueths for the birthday greetings too.

Jimthecarpetguy said:
thank you Blaize! I have not seen that program.but everyone here knows my suspicion of Darin the liar. This info is new to me insomuch that he threatened her with a gun.If the program repeats please tape it,many of us in the states would like to view it.Thanx to webslueths for the birthday greetings too.
Hello Jimthecarpetguy, I will record it if it repeats but tape might not be a good idea since in europe we use a different format to the states.

It might be easier to go to the Discovery Canada site and check with them if individual episodes of the True Crime Scene series are available for download or purchase.

Hope that's of some help.

blaize

blaize said:
Hello Jimthecarpetguy, I will record it if it repeats but tape might not be a good idea since in europe we use a different format to the states.

It might be easier to go to the Discovery Canada site and check with them if individual episodes of the True Crime Scene series are available for download or purchase.

Hope that's of some help.

blaize

Sorry you won't find it there, I already tried. I have it taped Jim if you want a copy, I have missed the first 10 minutes of the program however.

Or you can try Cineflix's International Website here for purchase info on the show The program is titled True CSI, it's there on the left hand menu...it's 6 x 1 hour programs. As you will see, I made a mistake on the producers...it's Canada/France not Australia, LOL.

I taped three of the programs when it ran on Discovery Canada..the second program is a Canadian case from Winnipeg and the third program is the Ted Binion case.

Here's my post I made as I was watching or just after this program aired in Canada, LOL. I forget what I saw so quickly.
Click Here

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SGS3030
Back