Doi

ellen13

Reaction score
hi folks,
for most of you who thought doi was out of print like i did, they just reprinted it and it's on bookshelves in stores probably due to all the media the story is getting again. you no longer have to hunt it down at your local library. paperback is avail for 7.99.
i'm now rereading it.
interesting fact from doi:
john states that he forgot to charge the battery and that's why he didn't take footage of x-mas morning.
then he says that he didn't because after Beth died, he just wanted to live in the moment and not behind a camera. so which is it? i find a lot of contradictions in the book.

ellen13 said:
hi folks,
for most of you who thought doi was out of print like i did, they just reprinted it and it's on bookshelves in stores probably due to all the media the story is getting again. you no longer have to hunt it down at your local library. paperback is avail for 7.99.
i'm now rereading it.
john states that he forgot to charge the battery and that's why he didn't take footage of x-mas morning.
then he says that he didn't because after Beth died, he just wanted to live in the moment and not behind a camera. so which is it? i find a lot of contradictions in the book.
I just seen it at my WalMart yesterday for 5.99$.

I have a copy for anyone who does not wish to give money to these people.

I would be happy to lend it to anyone.

Brefie said:

"Lending it" is not recommended....I lost some first edition books on the Ramsey Case...specifically the Andrew Hodges book.

I keep my copy of DOI in the bathroom, and I've read it several times...perhaps more than any other book I have about JonBenet's murder and investigation. It seems to me that DOI was written as an explanation, to clarify the story and series of events from John and Patsy's point of view. A couple of things bother me about DOI -

1. Lack of talk about JonBenet herself. J & P do a lot of talking about events in their lives that include JB, but there isn't very much talking about the child herself and what she was really like...other than Patsy's claims that JonBenet was such a highly spiritual person (as if destined for Heaven from a young age) and thought well beyond her years. I'm not sure everything Patsy (and others) says about JB can be believed. I would have liked to have had the book be more about JonBenet and who she was, but it isn't...it's all about who John and Patsy are (devoutly religious upstanding affluent Southern people) and how they have been viciously wronged by the media and police and anyone daring to think the evidence appears as though they know more than they let on. They contradict themselves frequently as well, or mention something and then act as if it was pre-ordained destiny or some great mystery. Ugh, the death of innocence they refer to in the title is their own innocence, and not a reference to JonBenet at all. My favorite part is the picture section in the middle.

2. Excessive talk of Beth Ramsey's death and John's subsequent and on-going bereavement. I'm not saying it's wrong for him to be in a continued state of mourning over losing his oldest daughter quite unexpectedly in a car accident, but he talks of it quite a bit (obsessively, perhaps) and the feelings he expresses over JonBenet's murder seem to me to be a shadow of the grief he feels for Beth. His reaction to JonBenet's murder is entirely different than his reaction to Beth's accidental death.

3. Incorrect information. I realize this book is now out-dated, and some of the points J & P bring up indicating intruder evidence have been settled - such as the palm print, and the baseball bat, and Burke having owned Hi-Tecs. I wonder if any of that has been cleared up in the reprint. I'll have to note page numbers and go check. There's also the issue of the tipline and website, not to mention the JonBenet Ramsey Foundation, now being dead and defunct. I wonder if they've corrected that. It might be worth my while to buy a new issue if there have been any revisions.

ellen13 said:
hi folks,
i'm now rereading it.
Same here,seems they talked out of both sides of their mouth a lot.
I also noticed the 911 call explanation.PR says FW apparently 'misdialed' trying to get meds to his mother.Then she goes on to say the 911 call is still 'somewhat of a mystery'.So which is it? I'd like to know what FW had to say about it,if he has spoken on it.I would think he would know if he misdialed or not,esp 911.

I can't agree enough with Toltec that it's not a good idea at all to lend books, or video's, even to those close to you. I've lost some that way too.

Wish ST would write another book now.

"Death of Intelligence." Wouldn't waste my two bits on it.

"Wish ST would write another book now."

Wouldn't THAT be interesting?

Brefie said:

Thats very nice of you. I have a book here from another poster that I am sending back. I also let another poster a book as well that I trust. It is risky but its a nice gesture.

SuperDave said:
"Death of Intelligence." Wouldn't waste my two bits on it.

"Wish ST would write another book now."

Wouldn't THAT be interesting?
yea, death of innocence referred to death of THEIR innocence,not one bit about JB's death.
Yes ST, write another book,it would be great to have an update on everything that's gone on since he published the first one.GO Steve !!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back